Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI and Dental Care

Options
  • 25-09-2002 1:04pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before, I don't come into the Politics forum very often except to read the odd thread.
    However, I felt the need to post this as I am rightly pissed off

I rang my dentist today to make an appointment, I reminded her that I would be paying her as usual, through my PRSI, the dental nurse explained to me that due to a row between the dentists of Ireland and the government, that you cannot claim dental care this way anymore and now I have to pay out of my own pocket.

Why am I handing out my hard earned cash on tax and PRSI?? apart from the couple of times in my life that I have had to make a day trip to hospital, I never get to claim off it, but it was great when going to the dentist. I watch the news fairly regularly, I never saw anything about, I don't even know what to do to show my anger that one more time the government has pulled a sneaky and gotten away with it

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep I had to fork out €120 last week for a routine check up including an x-ray.So much for paying prsi for the last 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I would suggest you contact your local TD in writing, and ask for an explanation as to why this service has been revoked, and when you were going to be informed about it.

Perhaps also ask what the resulting surplus of PRSI payments will be spent on.

Other than that, there's not much you can do.

PRSI is for far more than your dental bill.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I think the Dept of Health have a list of dentists who WILL provide cover under the standard scheme, if you're prepared to change dentist, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The problem is a dispute between the dentists and the Dept. of Health over top-up fees. The deparment feel that they are paying a fair amount for standard services, and that there should be no need for top-up charges, the dentists say no. As a result the whole PRSI dental service is in chaos, I'm not sure how many dentists are on the dept of healths list, but it can hardly be enough.

It should only be a temporary dispute, so can your dental problem be delayed? I know if you're like me you'll pay any money just to get any pain fixed - NOW.

Don't get me started on how useless your PRSI payments are BTW, just consider them tax by a different name, it helps ease that pain.

Advertisement