Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotus drivers ...

• 25-09-2002 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

i'm really getting fed up of lining up at monza with my 'deathtrap de jour', currently the honda, against 14 lotus, 3 eagles and 1 like minded indivdual in a ferrari.

i'd dislike removing it, but still, i just know that most of the lotus drivers behind me on the grid obviously don't know how to drive it, and will put me in the barriers on the first corner.

and talking of deathtraps, theres an interesting thread here on the Honda RA302, the pictures of it show just how much 'engine' it was. i doubt any other car that was such a mistake ever made it into a grand prix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah and the bloody lotus is very hard to drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Why do people keep saying the lotus is impossible to drive? I'm a complete newbie to GPL and i'm a terrible driver, but i do find the lotus _easier_ (not just faster) to drive around monza than the eagle or ferrari. Dunno about the other tracks , i haven't enough experience at them yet.

Btw, when i say terrible driver i mean i probably spin off the track on average once every two laps on monza and silverstone, and many times per lap on every other track :]

At the moment i'm trying to get a complete lap on all the tracks so i can post my laptimes on that benchmark site and laugh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd agree balfa. I think its easier to get around the track without spinning in the lotus, however it is harder to drive it smoothly. The reason you got better laptimes is because you got less spins I think.
    The narrow power band means you have to pay a lot of attention to being in the correct gear, and also you have to watch for the sudden rush of power, which will of course spin you on any bend, in any gear.

Handling wise, I think the lotus is actually easier than the ferrari. I found I could do bigger powerslides in the lotus without spinning. Haven't tried the eagle yet, but the brabham seems to be closer to the lotus than to the ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i do like the brabham, although at the moment i'm in the Honda, and i have to say i quite like it, it reacts lovely when trail braking. Once i've got around all the tracks in the Honda with decent times it'll leave the Lotus, the Eagle and the BRM for me to get to grips with. I'm not that keen on either the Eagle (v twitchy under braking) or the BRM (6 gears, no power down low in the revs) but i suppose i'll get into them eventually.

I can get around monza in the lotus without pushing it in 1:32's, which is decent enough, i'm looking forward to spending a week or 2 in it and going sub 1:30 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Are you seriously getting lap times in the 1:32s??? My best lap at Monza in an Eagle is 1:34.18... I thought i was reeeally crap, and expected to be like 20 seconds per lap slower than anyone else who played the game. Of course I know 2 seconds per lap is pretty big, especially since i'm very inconsistent... is that Honda just a really impossible car or what?

And where can i get this fabled Honda anyhoo? :)

I shall now buggor off and try to complete laps at more circuits, so i can get my official handicap ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

GPLEA cars

Get all the car gfx update graphics here, the Honda is called a Mursasomthingoranother in GPL as Honda didn't allow their name to be used ... prolly because of what happened the following season and the fact that they then pulled out of F1. Honda didn't want GPL dragging up its murky past.

Monza is pretty easy to be within a few secs of the 67 pole position time of 1:30, but getting to 1:30 and below isn't easy at all, i'm doing 1:31's in the honda, the ferrari and the brabham.

Advertisement