Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats sh*****g in the Garden

• 25-09-2002 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have a problem with cats in my garden. They even have a path in the grass with the constant traffic. They use our garden as an alleyway. And on their way through they s**t all over the garden. I have worked with many animals and cat’s s**t does not compare with any of them.
    I have tried various things to frighten or get rid of them, plastic bottles full of water, pepper, some sort of jelly stuff from the garden center, but all to no avail.
    I have also tried the rotten fruit at the back door trick, and when any pass, WHAM, just to frighten them mind you.

Anyone any ideas other than shooting them……..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Try a water pistol with dilute vinegar or lemon juice - It won't do them much harm but they really don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Right, what you do is you get a Blender, decent sized one, and you fling the cats into it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by PadraigL
    Anyone any ideas other than shooting them……..

Get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katz

What about a snake? They friighten most animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I saw something called a 'cat scarer' advertised in one of those dodgy catalogues that comes in the door. It was basically a wooden cat, which supposedly scares off the others.

No idea if it's effective though - Cats use their scent more than their vision for recognising other cats. Hence the phenomenon where one cat fails to recognise his housemate cat, when the housemate returns from the vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Right its simple you get one of the cats and execute him/her (lets not be sexist) in front of the other, now they know who is boss :)

Seriously thou I remember someone saying that Jayes Fluid is suppost to keep them away. Don't know if its thru but you could try it !

(Pity it stinks your Garden up)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

My cats bury their excrement, I have yet to find any in my garden in 9 years of catness. Were they just well raised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ley strictnine on the patch of trodded grass

as we know cats are very clean animals when it comes to their own hygene. so that cats trod on the strictine, cats lick their feet. cats die

easy :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There is a product on the market that makes a sound that humans cant hear but that Cats can and hate apparently.

Cant remember what its called but my brother-in-law has it and it works great he says... do a search on Google for some likely keywords...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Thanks guys
    My cats bury their excrement, I have yet to find any in my garden in 9 years of catness. Were they just well raised?

The person that owns the cats obliviously thinks this also the case as they are doing it in my garden and not theirs.

My experience is that cats think they bury their excrement. In grass, they do the business and then they scrape a few blades of grass on to the excrement.
    In around the flower beds it’s the same. They don’t dig a hole and then do the business!!

When you go to cut the grass, you either step in it or the mower gets there first with the most disgusting clean up to follow.

My kids have stood in this excrement many times, with the result that they don’t want to play in their own garden.

And its not only my garden, other neighbours have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Samson
    Get a dog.

Second that idea.
    Only, cats, the little ****s, tend to to roam around at night when the dog is asleep and so they are free to roam around in the garden.
    But they can smell the dog so they do tend to stay away.
    Plus, the dog might eat/kill the cats, so that would really end the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

If it isn't Cat poo it's dog doo in my garden. And on the lawn as well!

When cats don't bury their sh*t it's territory marking isn't it? Dog just sh*t where they like - little b@$tards!

For a repelant I heard that a few dashes of Jays Fluid can do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by DeVore
    There is a product on the market that makes a sound that humans cant hear but that Cats can and hate apparently.

Those things give me headaches.

No, seriously...

As for how to stop cats crapping in your garden... stop them from getting in there in the first place. Put netting across your gate. Block any holes in your fence. Heighten your wall.

And if all else fails ... get a dog (... and train HIM not to crap in the garden!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 writeaccess

2 usless old wives tales for you :

If you get some lion crap from the zoo, the scent of a larger cat in you garden will scare the s*** out of them.
    But I suppose you dont want lion crap either.

also human hair is supposed to scare cats as they hate walking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Bard
    And if all else fails ... get a dog (... and train HIM not to crap in the garden!)

Where would it crap then? In the toilet? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

PaidragL - I don't mean to belittle your post but I'm sitting here laughing my arse off at this Thread...
    I saw something called a 'cat scarer' advertised in one of those dodgy catalogues that comes in the door. It was basically a wooden cat, which supposedly scares off the others.
    What about a snake? They friighten most animals.
    Right its simple you get one of the cats and execute him/her (lets not be sexist) in front of the other, now they know who is boss

Plus, the dog might eat/kill the cats, so that would really end the problem.
    If you get some lion crap from the zoo, the scent of a larger cat in you garden will scare the s*** out of them.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Someone should put a link to this in the humour board as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

ROFL

Originally posted by DeVore

Those things give me headaches. Seriously (!)

Since my grandmother started putting a 1 litre 7up bottle full of water in her front garden, the local cats and dogs haven't crapped or wee'd there.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Where would it crap then? In the toilet? :)

pfft... the neighbours gardens, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

have you tried pepper dust?
    Not the household variety,the stuff from vets?
    its totally non harmful to pets
    we found it effective inside our storage sheds.

the label says effective outdoors up to two weeks, redust after heavy rainfall.

if you have a very large garden,try using it around the boarders and in the areas most prone to cat marking.

Hopefully after a couple of months the cats should find somewhere else to use on a regular basis

pavlovs dog style.

Also i would try to block the cats entrance to your garden with a chicken wire mesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's all about marking ones territory.
    If the cat buries its mess then it knows that it is in someone else's area, but if they don't bury it and leave in the open for you to step on then the cat is only marking his territory. You need to reclaim this back from the cat. Someone said that getting lion poo was the answer. That should work as it will make cat think that there is a bigger cat in town.
    Or alternatively you could do a DIY 'job' yourself. It's your garden so mark it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about configuring a crow scarer (uses shotgun blanks) with an infrared scanner?
    Originally posted by bugler
    Some animals won't foul their eating area (great way to train puppies not to mess up your new carpet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

RainyDay wrote: »

No idea if it's effective though - Cats use their scent more than their vision for recognising other cats. Hence the phenomenon where one cat fails to recognise his housemate cat, when the housemate returns from the vets.

My neighbour has one of these and it works - frightens off dogs and cats - out of their garden and into mine - I'm working on getting one too. It does send my dog bananas, though, so I'd only use it in the front garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

theres also a battery water sprayer with a pir built in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gun

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DannySparks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Get yourself set up in a upstairs window with a good strong catapult and a bunch of grapes. They hit with a fair whack, bit like a paint ball. Go for the direct sphincter shot and they won't be crapping anywhere for a while.

Tip. If you find there a bit out of range, a quick "Here pus pus pus ..." brings them in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

How big is your garden?

Cos if it's not too small to swing a cat in.....................

• Advertisement
Advertisement