Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I ill ?

• 26-09-2002 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

For the past few years I have suffered (with what the doctor called) a weak stomach. It started off with me getting sick (violently) whenever I get run down. I've always needed my sleep so I wasn't too concerned about this. I used to get toncelitus (spelling ??) whenever I got run down when I was a kid.

Anyway lately whenever I wake in the morning I find I have phleam on my throat and I usually get sick (just the phleam comes up) but I sometimes have traces of blood in the sick as well... not a lot though.

Anyway is this something I should be concerned about ? Sorry if I have been too graphic in the post but...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

yes, there is something wrong..

there are no doctors here on this forum and you're own doesn't seem to be helping you out much - get yourself off to a different doctor and see if his opinion is any different, perhaps if you have not had any hospital tests, it's time to have a few. You should not be coughing up blood, no matter how small the content.
    don't worry though, I doubt it's life threatening, I have a friend who suffers from the same thing (weak stomach) and had to have a little operation, it sorted him out.
    Don't just leave it in the hope it will go away, see another doctor and tell him you were not happy with your last doctors response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Unregistered
    For the past few years I have suffered (with what the doctor called) a weak stomach. It started off with me getting sick (violently) whenever I get run down. I've always needed my sleep so I wasn't too concerned about this. I used to get toncelitus (spelling ??) whenever I got run down when I was a kid.

Anyway lately whenever I wake in the morning I find I have phleam on my throat and I usually get sick (just the phleam comes up) but I sometimes have traces of blood in the sick as well... not a lot though.

Anyway is this something I should be concerned about ? Sorry if I have been too graphic in the post but...

do you smoke.
    if so, then theres your problem....
    if not, then its something else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It could have alot to do with your Lifestyle,a poor diet heavy drinking and smoking usually results in mainly throat problems followed by a waek stomack and no energy etc.Try eating healthy and exercising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Agreed with all

Blood in bodily fluids = bad (unless bodily fluid comes out of skin or blood vessels.

Get to another doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies so far. No I dont smoke and I drink very little. I used to drink a lot (Jack daniels) and I think this may have contributed to the problem. I had to give it up when my son was born (3 years ago). My diet probably isnt the best but not the worst either. Perhaps as you say I should get a second opionion but if I go to hospital I know it will envolve getting the camera inserted down my throat and I dont fancy that at all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭frea

Go see another doctor and stop making excuses :eek: . It is probably nothing serious.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Thanks for the replies so far. No I dont smoke and I drink very little. I used to drink a lot (Jack daniels) and I think this may have contributed to the problem. I had to give it up when my son was born (3 years ago). My diet probably isnt the best but not the worst either. Perhaps as you say I should get a second opionion but if I go to hospital I know it will envolve getting the camera inserted down my throat and I dont fancy that at all....

Yes, we understand, after all, a camera down your throat is FAR FAR WORSE than dying of stomach cancer, or the pain of a ruptured ulcer, or ANY number of nasty, painful ailments that will only get worse if not discovered... Sheesh, you big baby, you dont even know for sure what tests they will do.

Get to another doctor, as soon as you can possibly manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

it sounds very like what i had recently
    about a year ago, i had the same, woke up in the morning with ****eloads of phlegm to get out, and a few months ago, i started vomiting the phlegm up. i eventually went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with perenial rhinitis.

this is like hay fever, only instead of during the summer, it affects the person all year round (perenially). its like having asthma of the nose(rhinitis!)...when you're sleeping too much mucus is built up in your nose and slides down the back of your throat, and you vomit it up in the morning, (it feels like it has come from your chest, but it has actually just fallen there during the night)

asthma itself also can produce this affect, the doctor will be able to tell you if its coming from your chest or your nose.

also, i wouldnt worry too much about the blood its more than likely to do with the fact that youre wretching, and violently at that, but as everyone said, better safe than sorry and get it checked out, its the only way yer gonna get a cure for it.

i had to use a nasal spray, it was LOVELY! but only for 2 months, and its cleared up now.

"Perhaps as you say I should get a second opionion but if I go to hospital I know it will envolve getting the camera inserted down my throat and I dont fancy that at all...."

I had it done a couple of weeks ago........put me asleep at 10am and woke me up at 12.30.......piece of cake

Get it done bro ,even just to stop you worrying....took a load off my mind

Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I'd agree with the general opinion here. If blood comes out of you when it shouldn't always go to the doctor. If you do not get a satisfactory response, get a second opinion. It's probably something fairly minor but coughing up blood can be a symptom of a lot of other really serious conditions so just in case......

• Advertisement

"also, i wouldnt worry too much about the blood its more than likely to do with the fact that youre wretching, and violently at that"

This is exactly what my doctor said about my "getting run down and getting sick". I told him that there were traces of blood in the vomit but he wasnt concerned as my face was full of little red spots. He said this was due to severe retching which resulted in oxygen being cut off from my face... he said that people who had been hanged get the same thing as there is oxygen depreived from the face (nice huh). Anyway he said that when you retch severly it can result in traces of blood in your vomit.

Anyway if it persists I'll go back... Thanks all for your advice... much appriciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Had a very similar condition for a long time. Turns out I am allergic to yeast and mushrooms which were causing my bowel to get fungal and phlegm to rise us causing me to vomit, accompanied by lethargy and ill-humour. Sugar perpetuated the condition as it causes the fungus to grow faster, as do steroids in meat.

What I did was go off yeast and mushrooms, cut down on sugar, and take 2 plans of a natural detox agent called Flouressence - available with leaflets in any health shop. The change was brilliant after two weeks,

It's all natural and healthy for you anyways :-) clear out the old system. It;s just a nice tea you have before going to bed.

Advertisement