Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people not voting in the Nice Referendum?

Options
  • 26-09-2002 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick one. I see that the "not voting" option in the "What way are you going to vote in the Nice treaty" thread is around 9%. I'm curious as to what the reasons are why those people aren't voting.

Is it because you just don't have an interest in this referendum?

Your sick of the negative campaigning from both sides?

Or whatever..........

Gandalf.

(swiss don't dare close this thread :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have to say that up until recently I was apathetic to the whole referendum. Didn't really understand the issues, didn't give a damn one way or the other.

However this week, I decided to look through the various threads on the Politics boards. I know alot more about it now than I did last week and I'm leaning towards the 'no' camp.

So a week ago, I would have been in the "don't care" bracket, but I'm not any more.

If you did the poll again, I think you'd get less "Not Voting" votes. (If Bertie can do it, then so can you.)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally, I think I'm in the "I may" vote camp.

The two sides have shot themselves in the foor with claim after counter claim leaving the a goodly portion of the electorate dininterested. If they had of stuck to the facts and have a proper deabte, people might be a bit more fired up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Having voted No before, I was probably going to vote Yes, against my principles but for the greater good.

Fortunately work has intervened and I'll be in Germany on polling day, so my moral dilemma has been solved, and I can complain about either outcome;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I wont be voting on account of being an emigrant at present.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

the last time it came around i didnt have a clue about what the whole thing was about

this time tho im a tad bit more informed, and so ill be voting Nein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think the "not voting" issue goes beyond the Nice treaty , it is a bigger issue. We are not taught to value our vote and to use it.
    Currently the age band which has the largest precentage of those who do vote is the 50 years and over.
    Most of those who are 30 years and under dont see the point which is alarming.

Where will FF and FG be when the current crop of pensioners die off ?

Personally I make a point of using my vote when ever it is required as it is not yet even 90 years from when women were granted that right and some of them died so that I may do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

There will always be a certain percentage of the population who will never vote. This group of people usually makes up 20% of the electorate.

The next group are those who would usually vote but aren't bother with referenda - another 20% here

Then there is 10% to 25% of people who won't/can't vote because it's raining, or their dog is sick and they can't leave the house, or they're in the pub getting hammered, or they're in Germany for the weekend of the vote ;)

The rest are the people are the ones who vote - about 50%. THese are the people who decide our future.

But only about 32% came out for the last Nice vote! This was probably due to the crap YES campaign, complacency and many not understanding what the vote was for. Or maybe there was a lot of people in Germany at the time.

Hopefully this time there won't be this 'Don't Know, Vote No' nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm not actually sure of my voting status in Ireland at the moment - I'm pretty sure I should have a postal vote as an Irish citizen abroad, but the Irish Embassy in London has been spectacularly unhelpful in this matter. Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Shinji
    I'm not actually sure of my voting status in Ireland at the moment - I'm pretty sure I should have a postal vote as an Irish citizen abroad, but the Irish Embassy in London has been spectacularly unhelpful in this matter. Bleh.

Shinji, I don't think you have a vote, postal or otherwise. Don't you have to be resident in Ireland to have a vote in the first place?
    You'll only have the postal vote from abroad if you're in the Irish Army currently serving abroad, or you're part of the Irish Diplomatic Service serving abroad.

see - http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/citizens/en/ir/001930.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There is a certain consistency among people not voting, whether it be a referendum or an election. The reason is simple; people believe that their vote is making less and less of a diffrence all the time. It would be interesting to see what effect the Nice Treaty would have on this feeling.
    As far as I can see, its the same old deprived areas where voting rates are less than others. This does not have to be spelt out, and neither do the reasons for it.

Added to this is a certain perceived irrelevance of the 2nd Nice referendum, people have voted for it before and are probably tired of it, one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

i'm just not eligible to vote.

Originally posted by Bateman

As far as I can see, its the same old deprived areas where voting rates are less than others. This does not have to be spelt out, and neither do the reasons for it.

The Shinners get the vote out in these areas so they must be doing something right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Shinji, I don't think you have a vote, postal or otherwise. Don't you have to be resident in Ireland to have a vote in the first place?

Well this is what I've been trying to establish, whether as an Irish citizen I have a right to vote in elections there even though I'm not a full time resident. I didn't think I did frankly - I vote in the UK elections and it'd be silly to have a vote in two countries - but I couldn't get a straight, clear answer out of the Irish Embassy here, which was deeply annoying.

Ta for the link, that clears most of it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i think its a pain ya gotta regester to vote should just be allowed once ur 18 and go along with ur irish passport or whatever.

Ya i'm 20 and haven't voted in anything but deciding to vote in this one. Very definite about voting No. Ah funny feelin strongely about votin ahwell maybe i am gettin old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Gideon
    i think its a pain ya gotta regester to vote

you dont tbh, i never registered, never even went near it. I was 18 when the general election came about and then i was sent the polling card thing.

Its auto afaik, ive yet to be proved wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

i believe they employ people to find eligable people. some bloke comes around every year asking if theres anyone turned 18 in the house. but i was 18 before an election and i was told i was ineligable for some reason, i believe the reason was they're a slow useless shower of pastry eating gobdaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

because im informed about whats going on, im gonna vote Oui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

Then there is 10% to 25% of people who won't/can't vote because it's raining, or their dog is sick and they can't leave the house, or they're in the pub getting hammered...

People fought and died to give us the opportunity to vote, it makes me depressed when i think of all the people who dont take it upon themselves to take interest. :(

I will be voting, though I'm still unsure as to what, for a while i was more inclined towards voting 'no', this was on the basis that the Government was effectively telling us 'wrong answer, try again', putting our democracy into question. :mad:

Progaganda and scaremongering is rife, this is the fault of the Government with their "Bono says yes" style of promotion, which gives no solid information.

I took it upon myself, as you have, to educate myself to at least some small degree on the subject, i might even force myself to read the Treaty *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Originally posted by pertinax
    i believe they employ people to find eligable people. some bloke comes around every year asking if theres anyone turned 18 in the house. but i was 18 before an election and i was told i was ineligable for some reason, i believe the reason was they're a slow useless shower of pastry eating gobdaws.

On the subject of people coming around looking for eligible voters, the time of the last general election I spent a couple of months living in Lietrim (don't laugh) and a member of FF who was running in the election came around and basically registered me to vote there all by himself, he even filled out my form for me all I had to do was sign it.

I thanked him kindly and voted for somebody else.

On the subject of people not voting, I think voters have gotten so dissillusioned with politics in this country that they just can't be arsed to vote.

Anybody who had read the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy might remember a bit about the inhabitants of some strange land voting for these cruel lizards overlords who they all hated.
    When they were asked why they kept voting for them they replied 'In case the wrong lizard gets in'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I *had* decided not to vote, but I've now changed my mind.

The reason why I wasn't going to vote was because I had no opinion on the matter. I have since formed one.

Originally posted by Bard
    I *had* decided not to vote, but I've now changed my mind.

The reason why I wasn't going to vote was because I had no opinion on the matter. I have since formed one.

Out of interest, what changed your mind? Was it something you read?

Originally posted by PH01

Out of interest, what changed your mind? Was it something you read?

Yes actually it was a number of things I read, including discussions on these boards and campaign web sites from both sides. Amazing how things you read can help you form an opinion, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't vote as I don't have the right.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

and Bard whats it gonna be?

Originally posted by dathi1
    and Bard whats it gonna be?

it's gonna be a secret ballot :p

Advertisement