Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting ONLY at 33.6k...

Options
  • 26-09-2002 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi. My problem is that when ever I connect with Eircom or UTVip I always connect at 33.6k. When I connect with IOLfree I always connect at 45k->48k. UTVip suggested that it is probably a modem problem which sounds reasonable considering it's a cheap Winmodem (HCF) POS. My question is has anyone else experienced this problem and more importantly have they found drivers that corrected the problem? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

It's hardly a flaw with the modem itself, more so with the line you're using. I use indigo mostly, and every now and then i connect at 33.6k. Eircom can "boost the signal" if you ring up and ask them too. Or you could have one of them lovely DACs boxes ppl keep complaining about.

From my experience though, if a modem is broken, it doesn't work. At all. I think you'll find, if you keep trying to connect, you'll eventually get on at 46/48k....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

theres a process of elimination that you can go thru to sort out a solution

but in the first case what i would do it first of all :

1) get a loan of / steal an external modem and see whats what.

2) if to no avail then try taking the pc to a friends place and try your winmodem there.

theres prob a far easier way to do it, but i like to get all the hardware stuff out the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

Gee, thanks for the quick responses guys!
    With regard to it being a line fault, I've been on (and on..) to Eircom about this already. They assured the line was OK - as they would. At the time I thought they were actaully 'capping' me. I should emphasise that without exception for the past 2 years I have been connecting to Ericom at 33.6k EVERYTIME - no slower or faster. As I used IOLfree most of the time I could live with it. Now that I'm with UTVip and connecting, again, evertime at 33.6k , I need to get it sorted. As for the hardware, yeah I agree with your suggestions. After reading up on Winmodems I'm probably going to buy a decent one anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by omelette
    Gee, thanks for the quick responses guys!
    With regard to it being a line fault, I've been on (and on..) to Eircom about this already. They assured the line was OK - as they would. At the time I thought they were actaully 'capping' me. I should emphasise that without exception for the past 2 years I have been connecting to Ericom at 33.6k EVERYTIME - no slower or faster. As I used IOLfree most of the time I could live with it. Now that I'm with UTVip and connecting, again, evertime at 33.6k , I need to get it sorted. As for the hardware, yeah I agree with your suggestions. After reading up on Winmodems I'm probably going to buy a decent one anyway. :(

Its not the liline , as you find it possible to connect to 1 isp at a v90 speed.
    Check for an update to your modem driver, as different isps may use different kit, and different modems may be more or less compatible to the isp equipment..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the modem that's at fault and I have already tried half a dozen different drivers but WinXP doesn't want to know. For the record, the modem is by Modular Technology. If I'd known at the time I got it that it was a Winmodem I never would have bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

As you said....after the fact
    If I'd known at the time I got it that it was a Winmodem I never would have bought it

Thats the beauty of an external, it cannot possibly be a winmodem. Some winmodems work fine but lots of them are crap.

M

Just for the record, I can confirm that the modem was at fault - I tried another Winmodem and I connect at 46k->48k. Went to buy one at PC World and they didn't even know that controllerless modems existed. Going to buy a proper one over the i/net instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

good ol PC World, service with ignorance

Advertisement