Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming virgin seeks direction

Options
  • 26-09-2002 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get my feet wet in computer programming and I'm looking for advice on where to start. I'll be starting a computer course next year with the Open University which will involve a small amount of C but I want to start learning some fundamentals before then.
    Would it be fair to say that once you have learnt one language that the next will be easier/quicker?
    Is C a good starting point or would Java be an easier entry level?
    To begin with this will be a self teaching exercise so would you recommend the "Dummies" books or "Learn * in 24 hours" books be a good reference for the beginner?
    Unless you count fiddling with BASIC about 16 years ago or some very simple batches and macros in dos I have NO programming experience. Also, this will just be a hobby so there's no need for disinformation to protect the precious few I.T. jobs that are left :p
    All advice will be graciously received.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Stay away from any "Teach Yourself..." or "... for dummies" books. Its far better to get a nice book that will teach from the bottom up. My favourite book on c++ is 'Core C++, a Software Engineering Approach' by Victor Shtern.

The first few chapters deal with number types like int and short. Then he moves onto flow control like if statements and loops. Then he does functions, then he goes onto classes and after that inheritance etc...

What really makes the book good is that way he presents a problem, then he solves it. Then he shows how his solutution is not perfect, and he improves on it, then he will show why the improvment still isnt perfect, and he will make more improvments.

The method of learning is likened to that of learning from your mistakes.

I heartily endorse this product or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Cheers DBC, I'll have a look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...is the book really that good, DBC? I've no background in C++ (VB, Delphi, yes; some Java too, but it's of the I'm-doing-this-all-wrong-and-what's-worse-I'm-aware-of-it variety), but I picked up that book last year new for a tenner (publisher's overstock), and I've not actually opened it yet - too busy. Got Stroustrop's hardback doorstop "The C++ Programming Language" at the same time for the same money - haven't opened that either :rolleyes:

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

Well I am in the process of learning c++ and the book I got is called "C++ for the absolute beginner" It teaches you c++ through games and it is fun to learn, so I recommend this book:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

Oops i mean game programming, not games it treaches you how to code games right from the basics off c++ (cin, cout) to Windows and DirectX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You could try www.cprogramming.com
    or read "Smashing the stack for fun and profit".
    http://www.opennet.ru/base/sec/p49-14.txt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

C in plain english @ Amazon dot com is a good primer with a good reference section. Theres a C++ version too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by mofu
    Well I am in the process of learning c++ and the book I got is called "C++ for the absolute beginner" It teaches you c++ through games and it is fun to learn, so I recommend this book:D
    Ja know, this might just be the ticket that get's my younger brother interested in the subject. He want's to get in to programming, but being a young teenager, all he wan'ts is results, and I'm not teaching him VB.

DBC may be on to something with that book he's recommending, but at the same time I wouldn't rule out the "TY in 21Days" books (or anything on Sams for that matter). I self taught myself C, 7 years ago from "C programming in 21 Days", along with structured methodologies. Granted it took me longer than 21 days :p, (but not too much), and I have never looked back.

As for the Dummies/Idiots books, they are intended for people who are still computer illiterate, and hense should not be learning how to program just yet. Then throw in crap humour to boot, and end up confusing the fúck out of you, through subliminal stupidity.
    "Chapt 10 (locating the compiler)
    Turn on your PC. To do this press power. Once windows has booted, click on Start/Programs...."

I could be wrong, perhaps it's chapter 20, but what has me confused is how they let my grandmother publish so many books.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Cheers gang. I'll have a snoop around Waterstones and Hodges Figgis next time I'm in town.

Advertisement