Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Press: Letter about Phantom FM

Options
  • 27-09-2002 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Below is a letter printed in the current edition of Hot Press. The writer is obviously critical of the station and the current music policy. So is it a fair criticism? What are your thoughts on the radio station that is Phantom FM? Come on! Let's hear them the gloves are off! We're listening - Make your views known!

now here's the letter from Hot Press magazine:

"It was with much hilarity that I stumbled upon the piece on Phantom Fm in the last issue of Hot Press (Sept. 25). So Phantom reckon that "after a certain radio station made a complete bollocks of it, the franchise should be taken away from them". Funny that, coming from a radio station which has about as much redeemable qualities as a Radiohead concert.

DJs share all the charisma of a cheese sandwich, there is an insistence on advertising gigs that took place weeks earlier, and, of course, their naive partiality for nothing indie bands like The Frames and Wilt, who will still be playing toilet venues like Whelans in five years. So Phantom won't make a "complete bollocks" of it? Ha! Unfortunately, radio stations like Phantom and the aforementioned bands weaken both imagination and judgement. Phantom FM - "Music That Matters". To whom, Exactly?"
    Declan Markey, Dublin 1

BTW I'm more of a swiss cheese sandwich with gherkins sandwich!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that's outrageous. the guy comes across as someone who is so far up his own arsehole and thinks his taste in music is so bloody great that he's superior to everyone else. to quote sinister pete. 'you may not like the first or second song you hear on phantom fm, but you'll probably like the 3rd'.

I'll be honest, i don't like ALL the music that phantom plays...i dont really even get a chance to listen to the station much anymore. But there are dj's at the station that cater for my taste's and thats enough for me. There are dj's there who cater for other people's taste's so why is this laughable????

He generalises too much in the letter, he doesn't give propper constructive criticism of the station, he just slags it off because its not his thing. That's laughable...he's supposed to be making a point??? I would never EVER seriously look down upon something just because it wasn't to my taste, it's so pretencious!!!!

and i dont find the dj's ive listened to cheesy. if it is cheesy id much rather be made giggle then act like im too cool coz the humour's beneath me.

Ok, maybe some work needs to be done about ads advertising gigs that have already been played...but at least the gigs are being advertised!!!! That's positive! They were in date at one time and people had the chance to check out some bands, even if the bands sucked, or become the next big thing. His letteris negative without any propper back up, and so can't be taken seriously. And maybe someone should forward this post on to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I can't even dignify it nor see past my rage at elitist clowns like that. Sure you can listen to Phantom for ages sometimes with out hearing a song that you like but there is no radio station on the globe that plays exactly to everyones taste. Thats why we keep listening, because the next one might knock our socks off...

Tell him to **** off and felate Larry Gogan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

1) I've seen Radiohead (one of the biggest bands in the world) in concert - so I take that comparison as a massive, massive compliment for Phantom.

2) Frames are playing sold out gigs wherever they play, like Vicar Street - hardly a toilet venue. Didn't they also headline at Witness??? Plus Wilt have made it on to MTV!

3) It's because of Phantom that Gemma Hayes (Mercury Prize Nominee), Mundy (ditto), Frames, Wilt, Turn etc. are doing well, a fact which they acknowledge by playing at the Phundraiser.

4) Perhaps the station could do with some fine tuning. Perhaps if ignorant f wits like him did not impeed the progress of alternative music in Ireland by laughing at the notion of getting a licence, the Station would be able to pay their dj's (more?), provide better equipment etc. and ultimately provide a better service.
    Incidentally, if an Alternative Station made it big perhaps the popularity of such music would grow and by direct consequence, there would be better venues for up and coming bands, thus obviating the need for "toilet venues".

it's f'ers like him that probably swayed the very tight call between Country FM and Phantom towards the former on the basis on what they knew (or thought they knew) about Music.
    "Garth Brooks, o I like him, give them the licence"

it's also f'ers like him that probably dismissed the Smiths when they were around as talentless!

Go listen to FM104, you short-sighted, opiniated, beligerent, nonsensical twat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Here here shay , I like what your saying about the possibility of development and the fact that said muppet is exactly the "Type" that impedes progress...

May I just point out that as a musician that plays the "toilets" in Dublin I think Im not alone when saying Ive had some really top notch nights playing in Whelans and Dorans etc....last night in Voodoo was the gigsmart night and it was packed with loadsa of heads from tons of different unsigned bands all getting together and havin a great buzz all off whom benefit from Phantom support, for me that's great, its not going platinum , its not playing the point ,but it is being part of a group that just loves music I think that's what Phantom is about , I think thats what Phantoms listeners are about and I think this muppet who wrote into Hotpress is just the type who likes to antagonise rather than actually do something constructive with their time. Like I said before if their talking about you you've done something right.....its so irish all this begrudgery...

On one point though, there is a cheesy element to some of the things Phantom do and its just hilarious and shows the lighter side of the crew which I think is cool.

blah de blah keep it up Phantom!

All the best
    Trev M

Good points from the drowner too by the way ...just read back over that one there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

If I am a cheese sandwich, I am the finest camembert on the finest ciabatta (what I'm calling my frist-born, by the way), garnished with sun-blushed tomatoes, washed down with a glass of merlot, hand-crushed by French peasants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Obviously that letter is written simply to be incendiary. The basis of criticisim being Radiohead, The Frames and an element of "cheese" is absolutely absurd and clearly just written to piss people off. The comment about The Frames is especially constructed to antagonize, the writer obviously trying to draw the ire of the Frames higly devoted (if relatively small) fanbase (I am a fan). Also as far as "cheesyness" goddamit its rock radio of course there is a bit of cheese thats all part of the fun. Radiohead is reputably one of the best concert bands around (i never manage to get tickets) and if The Frames are playing small venues they are playing to a highly receptive audience (even in the US where they get little press and are hardly known) so the comentary is complete and utter shyte that is best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

washed down with a glass of merlot, hand-crushed by French peasants

Pearl, i really feel you're a Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape

and

Declan Markey...isnt he the head of 98fm???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

pearl...youre no cheese sandwich.
    you are a mighty fine lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Ok i've been to a Raqdiohead concert one of the best concerts to go to and Phantom being redeemable qualities as a aradiohead concert- well done guys. This capper has gotten himself so far in ahol that he cant even see the good qualities of Phantom Fm, in my opinion the station could improve a bit but now they cant do that. almost half of dublin's population ill say likes and even lisen to rock and alternative rock etc. "Phantom Fm- Music That Matters- to whom exactly"- well capper that would be us,.

And aas for whelans being called "toilet venues" i have to say Whelans is a really good atmosphere, not a toilet and its so much fun every night i go there, and they've gotten people like Gemma Hayes to play in Whelans.

This capper actually listened to Phantom so does the music matter to him??

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

I was at a party with some friends of mine when much to my amusement I noticed a bowl of nuts. Nuts are a stupid snack. Only people with no taste for the finer things in life would enjoy nuts. I hate them. So much so that I eat them all the time to remind myself how much I hate them. I know all the varieties and the slogans of the different brands. That makes me an expert by the way.

Nuts to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Ok Declan so you don’t like Phantom FM. You don’t like the music they play and their DJ’s. Ok that’s fine this is a democracy (kind of) and your entitled to your opinions.

Luckily I do see a solution why not tune into something else? Either you don’t have the opposing digits to turn that radio dial or you don’t have the capacity to work a radio. You must be the guy who brought his car to the mechanic because he couldn’t get it to stop playing phantom.

For everybody who does not like Phantom there is someone else who really likes them and appreciates what they’re trying to.

Matters to whom?

It matters to people who remember how empty their radio was while phantom was off the air. The people who used to check 91.6fm every now and then just in case they had started to broadcast again.

It matters to Irish bands that need to get their music played and need to get their gigs advertised.

Most importantly it matters to people who really love music. I may not like every song Phantom plays, but three out of four I will like. Rarely do I hear anything that I just can’t listen to.

So start bashing your radio with a blunt object and if you hit it hard, enough times the offensive noise will stop.

PS. Radiohead rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

goly gosh, i can't belive hot pres actualy printt hat ideots leter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mersault

its absolutely disgraceful, isn't it?????? someone should make a stand for all those poor unfortunate cheese sandwiches whose good name has been tarnished with those comparisons with the phantom dj's. if i was a cheese sandwich, i'd be fuming:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Well I gotta say I used to REALLY hate living in Dublin/Ireland. I thought ALL Irish music was total shyte. One of the main things that turned me around on the subject was Phantom.
    It and the culture/bands/people that surround it is one of the top 3 best things about livin in this craphole and when I piss off to Sydney it will be one of the few things I miss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Wait a minute. Maybe instead of scorning and ridiculing this poor man, maybe we should think of how sad and lonely his life must be, as he sits at his kitchen table tapping his pen against his teeth, wondering 'Who will I attack this week with my misguided, uninformed, unresearched, unexplained and generally abusive opinions?'

He reminds me of that guy who has a letter in the Indo four days out of six saying 'As I was walking along the Vico Road last week, it came to my attention nobody clips their hedges properly anymore...' etc etc.

My parents don't listen to Phantom, but they are of the opinion that Phantom are more entitled to that licence than most other stations. My friend doesn't listen to Phantom, (yup, I have one who doesn't. Hell, I even have one) but he thinks the whole licence thing is a fiasco. And they all admit that while Phantom isn't their cup of tea, or sandwich of cheese or whatever, they're still damn good at what they do.

Just one letter to Hotpress does not a revolution make. I wouldn't worry about it.

(and there's no such thing as bad publicity)

Unfortunately, radio stations like Phantom and the aforementioned bands weaken both imagination and judgement.

Yeah, he's right though. I always find, when listening to Phantom, I drive my car into the car in front, my judgement having been affected.

Weaken both imagination and judgement? I'd be very interested to hear what the hell he meant by that. You can't bandy about statements like that without backing them up with an explanation.

(I think he just wanted to see if he could use four big words in a sentence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

no offence but posting his letter on the "PHANTOM MESSEGE BOARD", i mean he was'nt exactly going to get praise for it.

Why is everybody who is realistic accused of being cynical.

well hot press are ****e anyway.... and well all this is a bit of backslapping to be honest.

you can exist in your phantom bubble and enjoy dublin music. thats your right and i've nothing against it.

But hes allowed to speak out, and to be honest he could have a point.

Phantom is alot different form when i first listened to it and to be honest although they have a friendly staff and great entuhsiasm criticism is'nt welcome.

but anyway calling him sad and lonely is'nt going to make him love phantom.
    He's allowed to be cynical and realistic about such ****e like the frames and wilt.

whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

ragamuffin, ragamuffin, ragamuffin!!!
    of course he's allowed his own opinion, but he must expect a backlash condemning him when its abusive with no back up. id think a lot better of him if he actually gave us propper reasons, if he can. how can he condemn somehitng so many people find so good?

anywyas, he didnt post this here, brian d did. im going to email this page into hotpress, along with my own reply, if i can.

and of course people are allowed say bad things about phantom, but you'll usually find that pete reed/sinister pete can argue there way so that the accuser has nothing more to say, as we've seen so many times on the board!!!!

There's not much bad you can say about a station that is so good, and im not saying that in a die hard obsessive fan kind of way, because im not!!! as i said previously, i very rarely listen, i dont like a lot of the stuff that gets played on most peoples shows. but this is the station that cater's to so many people's needs, a station whose silly dj banter can put a smile on my face, that gives a chance to so many irish bands, that has influenced and shaped my musical opinion by introducing me to bands i'd never have heard otherwise. as i said previously, just because u dont like something, doesnt mean it's a bad thing!

Well, Ragamuffin, you're totally right.

But I don't like lots of stuff, I don't sit around writing letters about it to people. (Does the messageboard count?!!)

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but doesn't that mean we're entitled to ours?

I know calling him sad and lonely isn't going to make him love Phantom, but his letter isn't going to make regular listeners say 'hey wait!! That guy's right!! I don't like this music after all! I'll go listen to what Lois Walsh's latest creations are doing on Fm104 instead!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Interesting thread this. The question Brian D asked at the top is a good one. Let us know what you think of Phantom, and how you think it could be improved. Obviously, not everything you want is going to happen but as always all suggestions and constructive criticism is welcome.

Im not going to comment on the letter in Hot Press other than to say its the usual lazy comments without backup that people sometimes make. But hey, thats free speech for ya!

Have to take Ragamuffin up on a couple of things though:

"Why is everybody who is realistic accused of being cynical?" Explain this one for me? Opinions are entirely subjective, so how does one persons subjective opinion become "realistic" and anothers "cynical"?

"To be honest he could have a point". Go on, tell us what that point is. Similar to our hot press friend, you have to back up what you say.

"Criticism isnt welcome". Ragamuffin, take the time to read Brian D's original posting. What is the question he asks? What is he asking people to do. Back what you say up with facts. Lazy Ragamuffin, lazy.

"He's allowed to be cynical and realistic about such ****e like the frames and wilt". Yawn, try harder Ragamuffin.

Whole point being, and this comes up again and again, if youre going to give a critique of anything, doesnt matter what it is, then you have to back up what you say.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Cheesy Moderator
    Phantom FM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Calling people sad and lonely over an internet message board! :D It's a huge downward spiral of irony, etc. I realise that posting this is also being slightly ironic ( or is it ? ). Aaaghh! I'm confused. I need a girlfriend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cat

What does this gob****e have stuck up his ass? From one who reads hotpress and doesn't appreciate music that is obviously far better than what's happening in the point most of the time (no offense 2d foo fighters) he's one 2 talk. He obviously didn't even try to get into the spirit of things (oh God the pun), and oversaw the phantom keeping u happy/ playing decent music/ being a community/ being part of your life thing.

Sorry, but most people are intitled to their opinion. This asshole should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hahaha Raggamuffin!

you should be ashamed!

laziness is not tolerated! ooh by the way ill be able to test your genes and create a laziness beating laze busting programme to cater for yer individual genetic needs! thus eliminating your desire to be be lazy posting lazy posts! woohoo rock on Amz the crazy science useing person........ive just noticed that i must hav been listening that teacher type guy last week.......

again you should be ashamed!

P.S. Shorty im single! hehehehehe
    Raggamufin mite put in a good word.........

:p

From reading this letter I think this guy mainly listens to Phantom the same times as I do. I too have been annoyed by the technical quirks Phantom has been victim of like the skipping of the tracks (apparently now fixed) the Whelans adds that are recorded once a week and get steadiy more out of date as Thursday approaces.

I would imagine these issues are fixable (if they are PC related I would be happy to offer my assistance, mail me).
    Perhaps unlike Declan I realize that these problems exist because Phantom is not a fully funded professional radio station and it is run by people who volenteer their time for little (or no?) fiscal reward and would be easily ironed out by additional volenteers and would certainly by fixed by the financial boost becoming a fully legal and licenced station would bring.

His arguements about the quality of the music is totally subjective and therefor not really relevant. I don't like country music but if there was a community of listeners as dedicated as Phantoms' large enough to sustain a country station and an obvious void in the radio spectrum then I'd say they deserved a licence even though I personally would have zero interest in EVER listening to them. Recent history seems to have shown that not to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

As a minor point of information ... do Today FM not broadcast an identical advert for Whelans except that it is voiced by Tom Dunne?

I'm not sure about that as I almost never listeen to TodayFM.
    I have no idea what your setup is for the unmanned hours of broadcasting, but I assume (probably completely incorrectly) that you use a PC which plays a big list of MP3's? If this is the case it should be possible to record adds like this as individual files for each day which could be scheduled to play (or more importantly NOT to play : D ) on the appropriate days.
    Also if I am right about your setup it should be possibly to use remote control software on the PC to allow any of the DJ's with access to a PC to "Dial in" during the off hours if anything needs attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

doo doo doodleoodle doo doo doo-doo

(thats me singing the circus song) :)

yeah,
    im not really bothered about this, ive heard people criticise Phantom before, and tis always the same, unfounded lazy criticism that is used mainly to appear cooler than those who simply enjoy the station for what it is.

the guy seems to be an idiot. i'd back that opinion up for everybody, but im not going into my amazing wealth of psychological knowledge to explain his asshole-ness.

i think the most valid point made in this whole thing was just above this, about the not begrudging a country station because you dont like it. live and let live and all that jazz.

also, I dont thihnk TodayFM have a Whelans ad, do they? i know Tom Dunne does his own Gig Guide during his daily show, but no weekly ad for Whelans that Im aware of.
    But while on the topic, the Whelans ads are great (not just the music) because people do like to know that the gig is coming up a little more than 2 hours before its on, the weekly thing works. especially since the big gigs are on at the weekend, so the ad changes midweek.

~Damo

ps. i'd rather listen to an ad for a gig that happened a day or two beforehand than hear one of those inanely boring ads for the latest mouse-pads on the Japanese market.

Advertisement