Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed injection

• 27-09-2002 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Nice job Regi (et al.) on the SQL work and javascript caching stuff...

boards.ie pages seem to be popping up 2 to 3 times faster for me now... nice and squiffy quick :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

severely speedy now in work ( worldcom connection ). However was very slow last night on eircom isdn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Ok, we've done more stuff...

The dhtml menu is now held in a different file (dumpmenusDefault.js) and is included into the page. This is cool, because

- We can generate it once a day, instead of running the query every time a page is requested
    - We can html-include it, rather than getting php to server-side include it
    - Since its html-included, it'll cache in your browser, saving you ~35k of a download each page

Todo

- Going to change the script that outputs the .js file to be a little more clever. Its going to generate "today's" script, diff it to "yesterday's" script, and if its not changed, it'll leave it alone. This will make it even more cacheable.

Just to let you know, all the complicated javascript stuff was done by Talliesin... so thank him, not me :)

This should reduce server disk access and overall bandwidth use.

Merc, we have to get our house in order before we can put the shiny fancy stuff back on. There's bugger all point in having the *'s in the menu if we have to go back to 30 second loading times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its never really slowed down for me, except for the front page, its the only thing that has ever been slow and remains so.

i assume its the images/last 10 posts thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Wow! Super fast (at least in the Default skin). Will there have to be different .js files for each skin? Also, another may have to be generated for use on the main page (with another set of colours).

Nice one Regi, thanks Talliesin!

J.
    --

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Speed seems WAY faster now, yippee:)

And now a personal plea.

Ever since the stars disapeared i feel utterly lost. I have NO idea how i coped with boards before them. I know im old and confused but without the stars i feel like a senile pensioner wandering around a huge park throwing bread at the same ducks over and over while just around the corner theres some really interesting unfed ducks*.

Seeing as how the latest javascript change made a huge difference, maybe the stars wouldnt make a diff? huh? please? sugar on top? worth a try?

Yours,
    Old and Confused.

*ok, my analogy needs a little work, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

That's just it, it's not possible to add the stars to a cached Javascript file. But I'm sure we'll come up with a way to have a list of forums (maybe through a dropdown) that were updated since your last visit... Don't hold your breath though, 30 seconds is a long time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Maybe you could make the stars an option in the user cp for people who wish to sacrifice the speed in order to use them? Just a thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Maybe you could make the stars an option in the user cp for people who wish to sacrifice the speed in order to use them? Just a thought..

wheres the point in doing that ? can people not just wait a few weeks for boards.ie to move to the new server when the feature will presumably be reactivated ?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have to trade off things like the *'s against any lag they cause for the server.... so long as the server isnt the bottle neck we can throw those sorts of features in, but now we have to spend our "processing" currency a little more carefully so when we move to the new host we'll be putting back the features in priority-by-overhead order.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

I don't check that many forums, so the *'s don't make a huge difference, but I suppose for many people they would. As an update on the speed, I'm currently getting pretty zippy speeds here on 64k eircom isdn now. The initial response is still not what it used to be though.

Aside: I know mysql is the main load on the server, but I presume you have mod_gzip installed as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

regarding *'s, i never realised how much i relied on them until you took them away from me... :(

regarding speed, boards is about 5 times faster at loading pages now :) wp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Flying along.

Aside: I know mysql is the main load on the server, but I presume you have mod_gzip installed as well?

Actually, the main load is now disk i/o - I hope to mitigate this by dedicating a hard drive to the database, perhaps even two, and by using soft updates.

mod_gzip is installed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're also going for 1.5 Gigs of memory so we're going to try and get as much of the DB into RAM as possible (thats what Soft Updates effectively does, that Regi was talking about above).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great stuff, it seems as speedy as expected, very nice. at the time of thread starting it was really really slow but just changed recently so maybe was the skin update (Kryptonian for me thanks).

Keep up the good work etc :)

That's a good point. For now, all the speed improvements are only in the default skin. We've yet to do it for the other skins, tho we'll do that shortly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

For now, all the speed improvements are only in the default skin

Cloud scheme is loading much faster for me than it was.

That's because all the default-skin users (large majority) aren't lagging the hell out of the server, leaving people who use the still-computationally intense templates with more system resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Right.

Gotcha Regi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice work Regi and others, even I'm happy now (its a sad indictment of my life that for the few days the system was crawling my life felt incomplete!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Regi
    For now, all the speed improvements are only in the default skin.
    :eek: Me rushes off to user control panel to go back to icky *default* scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

in regards to the *'s. you dont relaise hwo imortant something is until its gone. I prefer stars to speed.

Advertisement