Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP and Modems

Options
  • 28-09-2002 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I just upgraded from Win98 to XP. Even with 98 my 3 Com US Robotics 56K modem never connected to the Net above 31,200 and usually at 28,800. After the update the speeds are 21,600 and 24,000. Strangly enough the differences in the connection speeds are exactly the same. Anyway my modem has to use the generic drivers(2 files) that come with XP as there are no XP drivers available from the manufacturer of the Modem and I suspect this is where the problem lies. Does anyone know of a good 56K PCI modem that comes with drivers compatible/or for WinXP. Somebody using XP and a 56K modem getting acceptable connection speeds might have some ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

don't look at me, i get terrible connection speeds...
    (495:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Creatix V90 HAM Data Fax Modem.

Came with XP when I bought the PC.

Depending on which ISP I connect to [Esat or Eircom] I get 42.6K or 44K.
    Nothink else.

42.6 is my normal rate everytime.
    44 hardly lasts cos for some reason my modem starts to hang and I gotta reboot after about 10 mins @ 44K.:confused:

Advertisement