Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subscription package from Eircom?..

Options
  • 28-09-2002 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Eircoms home page is listing a new "Subscription" unlimited online internet package for **Euros 14.99 per month.

I must be dreaming, has the mouse died or eaten a sweet biscuit.

Yours,

paddy20;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I think you are dreaming ;)
    can you get a link for that? I cant find it on eircom.ie or eircom.net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

From paddy20,

Re:- Eircom pricing.

Sorry, the subscription price should read:-

1, Monthly Euros 18.28c (Including VAT) or-

2, Yearly, !! - Euros 182.83c inc vat.

But, you see I am in a total state of SHOCK, must go now and have a lie down before I have another Cardiac arrest??..

See Ya.

Yours,

paddy20 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Before you go and die on us, can you give us a LINNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

take a look at,
    http://home.eircom.net/beststart/subfree.html

exact same prices as he quoted, and it's for the subscription service. But it's for reduced charge phone calls, not free ones. You sure you have your info right?
    quozl

Ando,

It is under main stories on on my "Welcome to eircom front page?

Look under Top Stories, There is a new box/ad called internet, reduce your costs by 60% listing free then Subscription then business. Click on "Subscription" or there is a phone number 1850-203-204 for office hours, but people can sign up online now!.

Link:- http://www.eircom.net- I think but I am still reeling?.

The DAMN MOUSE has even VANISHED, Whats happening, call the men in white coats fast.

Eircom really know how to make me suffer, will it never end.

However, when I consider everything thats been happening Re:- IOFFL and the pressure they subjected and professionalism of the committee (Voluntary) "Thats business folks" Eircom really had no alternative but too cave in - and that is exactly what they have done.

Congatulations too everyone at IOFFL. This is a day never to be forgotten and keep going on the "Broadband" issue.

Yours,

paddy20:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Are you sure that's a flat rate product? It looks like a normal, deceptively expensive, run-of-the-mill subscription similar to IOL Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ProofWizard

There is nothing new about that.
    That is Eircom's normal same as ever subscription service with calls charged at local rates.
    eh.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nah - it's eircom trying to pull a fast one. They're just pushing the normal subscription service again. There's nothing relating to flat rate there. Pay them more to pay them less, huh!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It DOES look like you get charged per minute...

"Unlimited access to the Internet for less than the price of a local call "

183 euro ISNT less then the price of a local call so I'm presuming theres some "per minute" bit on this too.

also they say:
    "With a subscription account from eircom net you can save up to 60% on your internet surfing costs. "

Now, I dunno about you but 183 per year would have been a saving of 90%+ on my internet bill. /me hugs his Leap box...

So how can they say "up to 60%"....did we ever know Eircom to
    cap their marketing slogans at a level they reckoned was average...."ah sure, thats what most people will save, lets not quote the extreme examples"....

Something about this smells.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Its not a flatrate product! Unlimited access to the Internet for less than the price of a local call . Same as its always being. 1891 number less then local call. Its not unlimited access for a set fee per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ProofWizard

This is not anything NEW.
    Its Eircom subscription dial up using 1891 access.
    description on the registration page http://autoreg.eircom.net/infosub.html
    Quote "The 1891 tariff is a special internet access rate, which charges a lower rate for calls made to the internet (Example of eircom local call rate - Peak: 1.52p [1.93c], Off-Peak: 0.76p [0.97c]. Price Inclusive of VAT. Minimum call charge is 4.9560p [6.2928c] ). "

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Damnit and u got my hopes up with the subject post grr. I knew it would never happen tho. I think I would die of a heart attack if eircon ever did release it. They wont do it now or forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I rang eircom there bout flat rate to give out **** bout them not havin one. The guy then said that they might have one comin out soon. I think he jus said that to shut me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I rang them as well about flat rate, saying I'd been a customer for over 30 years, but that I couldn't afford to stay with them in view of the flat rate offers from UTV and NetSmart,but all he could offer was a subscription service to reduce internet charges but no flat rate, so it looks like goodbye Eircom

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

HAHHAHAH

I just love Eircom sometimes... "unlimited access to the internet" which I can only translate (since they charge per minute) as:

"Look look... you can access *any* server on the internet... look, we havent blocked any ip ranges! Arent we great! We were thinking about making you pay per Class A IP range too but now we're giving you UNLIMITED access.... of course you still have to pay per minute... :) "

DeV.

Note:-

From, paddy20,

Re: Eircom subscription service!

On eircom.nets page under the above heading they clearly state in black & white the following legally binding statement, which they should to account for!:- in a Court of law if needed?,

1, Fast Internet Access

2, UNLIMITED access to the Internet for LESS than the price of a
    LOCAL CALL.

3, Technical support at LOCAL Call Rates

This is all new to me, maybe I have been duped or misled that they are now offering a new "Subscription" service which they do not want too refer to as a "Flat- Rate fixed fee service" which would contradict their own claim that no demand for FRIACO existed.

IMHO this needs a Barristers opinion in relation too misleading advertising or clarifying forthwith by Eircom.nets legal eagles.
    As I believe they have put their foot in it, this time.

For sure. It is a new service deal/package, however deliberately misleading with devious ill intent not in the interest of the public good it may allegedly turn out too be.

I am not amused:mad: and I will not leave it at that, someone who authorised this message on their site has a lot of answering to do, maybe another public tribunal is called for in to Eircoms strange infrastructure and mode of operation within the telecommunications business sector. Our Countries economy and private individual citizens lives are being adversely effected by very questionable business practices by a company supplying a service under the sale of goods and provision of services acts, which they apparently are treating with disdain which is illegal and it is up to our Government to immediately sort out and make Eircoms executives aware of their inherent legal obligations under the relevant supply of services acts!!.

God help us all.

Yours,

paddy20,:cool: Just getting started, WATCH THIS SPACE.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

With UTV & BT offering new packages - do ye think Eircom will do similar?

The did nothing when Esat had No Limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

paddy20 is on crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Cork
    With UTV & BT offering new packages - do ye think Eircom will do similar?

The did nothing when Esat had No Limits.

They didn't have to!! They would have known that Esat couldn't sustain the losses that SNL would generate and that the scheme would eventually fail to become the "knight in shining armour" that it was intended to be. Therefore there was no need to provide a competitive service.

One can only hope that in the light of recent events, Eircom can no longer "force" someone to make a loss.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

UNLIMITED access to the Internet for LESS than the price of a LOCAL CALL.

The wording might be bad, but it's not misleading or a case for the courts paddy20.
    If you connect to their subscription service, they don't put any restrictions on the service and it does cost less than a local call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This may sound off subject but bear with me! :) I work part time in the family newsagents and we just got a letter from eircon touting their new International calling card. I'm sure you've all seen or used these type of cards with their ultra cheap rates ie Swiftcall, Century2000, Planet etc etc.
    Now in my experience people change to different brands all the time to whichever card offers the cheapest rate for the country they usually call, often for the sake of a penny, sorry I mean cent! a minute. I'll come back to this later.
    Anyway back to the letter from Eircon. This is their attempt to reclaim some of that internation call business back from the aforementioned brands. You would think they would offer a competatively priced product to compete against these cards much in the same way as you would have expected them to launch a similar product to UTVi. Nope! And tying in the way they give false impressions in their ads until you read the smallprint,

"With these cards your customers can save up to 60% on international call rates*

*based on an international call on an Esat prepaid mobile phone"

Gimme a break!:mad: They've used the most expensive method of making an international call to base their 60% saving on. I'm not sure of mobile international rates per minute or indeed Eircons rates for this card(cause they didn't include any in the letter) but the cynic in me would say that if for example the mobile rate was €1/m for a given country, that 60% of that is 40c which is probably still 10 times the rate that the other companies are offering(usually in the 4-10c range). Which brings me back to the point I made earlier about people changing cards for the sake of 1c/m. "Lets see do I buy the 40c/m or the 4c/m card, decisions,decisions!" DO EIRCOM LIVE ON THIS F***ING PLANET!:D

Well yes they do, they know well that no-one will buy this card if others are available in the shop cause they know the purchasers of these cards are copped on to the going rates. So they give the retailer a commision of 25%, a bit more than the other brands are giving in the hopes that naive retailers will stock the the eircon cards to the exclusion of the others. "Sure why should I sell cards for 20% when I can get 25% on the eircon ones!" As if to prove my point, my grandfather who has retired from the business picked up the letter and said,"Whats this?" I explained what it was and that the rates would be a joke. He replied,"But they're giving a great commisson" ARGGHH!! :) You only make the commission if you can sell any of the poxy things! :) In this example they are preying on the retailers ignorance rather than the end-consumer. Unfortunaltly in relation to the internet, they can rely on the ignorance of the general population. As I'm know we are all aware, our (in our own small way) and Irelanofflines greatest responsibilty should be to educate the general public on how much they are being ripped off. We will get less apparent inaction from the 'powers that be' when there is a general uproar from the population on this issue. Its only when this issue is frontpage news that I think we will see much more progress.

Oh and the end of the letter said that an Eircon representative would be calling to the shop to discuss the issue further. I can't wait:D I hope I'm on duty when he calls!! He's going to be leaving a gibbering wreck when I'm finished with him.! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Calibos

"With these cards your customers can save up to 60% on international call rates*

*based on an international call on an Esat prepaid mobile phone"

Calibos, that's extremely interesting.

The ASAI won't do much if anything about misleading statements on a webpage (so Eircom can probably get away with touting these new cards there to their heart's content) but would take a fairly dim view of misleading people on an advertising poster like this.

Is this advert intended for the public or just information for the retailer?

I would really like to know the day this is first displayed. Details I can get from you later.

And you're right - no-one who reads the T&Cs (which is hopefully most people who are trying to save a wad of cash by buying a card and going through the slight hoops to use it) will buy this card. If they make the mistake once, they won't the second time.
    For the retailer, 25% of nothing is less than 20% of something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

Understatement of the Month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Found this if you go to sign up for it, it's obviously just the plain old subs service they already had, as you have to dial a 1891 number! Where do they get off! As if anyone is stupid enough to go for this??

Our premium subscription service is now offered at a specially reduced rate.
    For £14.40 (€18.28) per month (VAT inc.) or an annual rate of £144 (€182.84) (VAT inc.) you can avail of the following benefits:
    100MB webspace
    Unlimited email addresses
    Reduced telephone call rate at the 1891 charges*
    Unrivalled Telephone support for all your technical queries at local call rates**
    Nationwide access
    V90 modem standard nationwide
    *The 1891 tariff is a special internet access rate, which charges a lower rate for calls made to the internet (Example of eircom local call rate - Peak: 1.52p [1.93c], Off-Peak: 0.76p [0.97c]. Price Inclusive of VAT. Minimum call charge is 4.9560p [6.2928c] ).
    **The only cost for technical support is the price of a local call. Unrivalled technical support is provided from 08.30-22.30 hrs.
    Peak rate from 08:00 to 18:00 Mon-Fri, Off-Peak rate from 18:00 to 08:00 Mon-Fri and all weekends/public holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Guys this is Eircon ye are talking about! Think about it.
    Not im a million years would I fall for one of their tricks
    again!
    Let them Drown!!

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 JANER

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    I rang eircom there bout flat rate to give out **** bout them not havin one. The guy then said that they might have one comin out soon. I think he jus said that to shut me up.
    I phoned 'em to tell them I was thinking of switching to ESAT and had they got any deals like to match ESAT and they said No and not even a polite NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

:confused: why bother with eircon.What have they done for netaccess nothing. They coned us for long enough this package has been around for a while nothing new so i say up with UTV
    they seem to be working for us :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sceptre
    Is this advert intended for the public or just information for the retailer?
    It was information to the retailer. Heres the text in full:
    Dear Agent

We would like to thank you for your support (we sell their callcards ie the ones with the microchip for the card phones) of Eircom callcards over the years and are delighted to write to you with details of another eircom card product - eircom global which offers you a competitive rate of 20% commission.

eircom global is a prepaid phonecard from a trusted supplier that allows users make Low Cost Convenient International Calls (or indeed local and national calls) from any touchtone phone.

eircom global is used by students, tourists and also mobile users who wish to avoid expensive rates on International calls. For example its 65% cheaper than mobile for calls to Europe.*

Our eircom phonecard sales representative will be calling to you over the coming weeks and will be happy to answer any questions you may have in relation to our eircom phonecard product range.

Thank you again for your continued support.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

*Based on one minute call on Vodafone Ready to go Peak rates to France, Germany and Belgium (08/02)

In my previous post I was qouting from memory but as you can see the commission they are offering is in fact 20%, which is the same as the other International calling card providers. I checked the vodafone rate for these countries which was €1.02/m. I also checked the rates for the countries mentioned on 2 of the cards Planet and Century2000. Both were 6cpm for each country with a surcharge of 46cpm for using a mobile and 15cpm if using a payphone. I did a search for eircom global and came up with this: http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/Sn1_pt7.pdf
    It seems the card was launched in May of this year and it appears from a cursory glance that their rates are infact competative and that the statement of "65% savings" was more or less correct in relation to the use of a mobile to make the call. Although I may be misreading it. I'll just have to wait till the rep comes to visit to get my hands on examples of the point of sale material to see in a clearer form hopefully, exactly what the mobile, payphone and fixed line rates and surcharges are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hey Calibos,

Are u the Calibos from avforums?

Do you have a PJ?

Sorry for going OT mods.

Calibos, any chance of a PM if you're who I think you are.

Thanx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by NeRb666
    paddy20 is on crack

What's even more worrying is that he appears to have Eircomnet as his home page.

Advertisement