Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI 2003 session dates, if you're interested

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

That's kinda what I wanted to say in my wierd screwed up way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by G@ndalf
    Session 1 till I die.IMNSHO, session 2 is V overrated, I heard people at session 1 who are attending CTYI for the first time say:"yeah,I'm going to session 2, more cool people are going there".My arse.Most people go to session 2 because they know people going already and many session 2ers gain an eletism field(tm) without even experiencing session 1.I would rather meet loads of new people instead of just a few while hanging round with those I know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh sweet fecking jebus man, that is such ****ing bull****. you're talking bout session 2ers being a eliteists? man, thats entire post is such eliteist bull****. Also, what the fuck is with people deciding what session they're doing now before the courses come out? i couldnt give a feck which course i go to (if i was still able to go) as long as i was doing a course i enjoyed and knew a few people to get along with while i got to know others.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Cry for me. I can't go to either of them and I'm too young to be a TA or RA. Just wait until I'm old enough. Then you'll know a reign of suffering like you've never known before and I will be your dark lord of destruction!!!!!!!! (Who gives out free Starburst)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Okay, I'll go to whatever session some people I like are going to... I mean, I'm interested in just about any course CTYI can offer and CTYI is far more social than academic for me... I mean, you could put me in a classroom disecting ping pong balls for 6 hours a day as long as I got to do the rest of the regular CTYI schedule.

Or whatever one Clare's going to 'cos CTYI is about the only place I will ever see her in person. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Words of wisdom: think carefully about the course you want to do. The social life will not compensate for being bored out of your mind for seven hours a day.

Case in point: as a young, naive fourteen-year-old (by naive I mean less perverted than I am now, of course) I found myself in Decision Maths. It sounded like a reasonably okay course... and I spent the entire first week thinking 'I understand nothing. Everyone else understands everything. I am inferior. I hate this. Why am I here?' etc, etc. You need a course you're really interested in before you can enjoy the CTYI experience. :)

Oh, people - the deal with session 2 is that it used to be the 'bigger' session, i.e. in the early and not-so-early years of CTYI, back when you could do both sessions if you so chose (sigh!), more people would go to s2 than s1, so of course it was going to be more fun. This reputation continued even as CTYI grew in popularity, so that there are equal numbers at both sessions, with a lot of old-timers at s2 to perpetuate its status as the more free-spirited spirited session of the two. Times have changed. RAs have become more evil. Rules are stricter. The food has become (dare I say?) edible. Anyway. That's my point. (It's in there somewhere.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

The food has become (dare I say?) edible.

... No, I don't think I'd ever dare to say that.

ah, wisht, the food warn't that bad. Although the pasta/bolognese tasted like.........flour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You know, when I said the food was getting more edible, I meant that we got fresh bread rolls every day. Almost. ;)

(There was other food apart from the rolls?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

So far i've only gone to session one, and look where it got me.as for s2 better than s1, shut the fuk up, it only makes a difference which one your friends are going to yes?

I believe so, although I survived on bread rolls and coffee alone on the 3rd week. Its also occurs to me that this is my 500th post. Um, yay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

which one your friends are going to?
    that makes no difference whatsoever. at the start you think it might but it doesn't. you're going to make new friends anyway.

can people stop worrying about which session to go to, which is cooler, which their friends are going to and do what they want to do?
    you start basing yourself around friends who if you love them so much you will stay in touch with them anyway (but you most likely won't) so what's the difference if you go to a different session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

Oh, I think it definitely makes a difference whether or not your friends are going. Partially because you'll end up keeping in touch with so few of them. You want to spend time with them, experience ctyi with them.

But, I don't think it should be a deciding factor, either. If theres a course you're dying to take, you shouldn't not take because its the wrong session. But if you don't really have any preference in course, it *would* make sense to take one during the session your friends are at, ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

yes spike. i agree.

as in, same here bob about the whole social thing. i learn loads, but i dont know what i would do without the social experience. hey, its the only place in the world where even a FEW guys will give me a second look! why wouldnt i like it??!?!? alaskan guys suck. ok enough with that... but really, i like to take a course that i already know about so i dont die of confusion, and i think that this year i will try to get into a class with some of my favorite people, just so's to maximize time spent with them. but i dont really mind the fact that my plan will backfire and i will be in a class with no one i know because youre all such wonderful people anyways! and i love getting to know new people. i am pretty good at it. i think.... well, sometimes they run away, but its their loss if they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Hmmmm..........

Fascinating how what should clearly be labeled spam can masquerade as a real dscussion.
    Most people starting CTYI just choose the session that suits them time wise. Being free at a certain time of year does not make you more fun or cooler. Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i survived on starch
    chocolate
    crisps
    and caffeine.
    and i was fine. *twitch*

the food wasn't too bad though- the rolls were good- mostly- until the time i cut one open and there was green mould inside...

but, really, the food wasn't entirely inedible...

That was you who found the mould? I heard about that. Sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

yeah, i was one of the ones...there were others too, who made a bigger deal about it than i did- i just got up and got another one and laughed. the line lady told me to go back and that i couldn't get another one- until i showed her the mouldy one. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Fascinating how what should clearly be labeled spam can masquerade as a real dscussion(sic).

No, I can't see how it's "spam". The good man who wrote the first post in the thread asked for "plans/reactions", and the comments on people who will be going to these sessions, and know already, also became the close subject of why people go to each session.

But what was said afterwards is true - it's what suits people timewise. Certain people whose schedules match get along and form groups of friends, and that's how this whole thing evolved.

In any case, who's to say what's spam or not on this kind of discussion? The human mind is a wonderful thing, and it can think in abstract ways. Different things have different meanings to different people, and subjective, "ad hominem"-ish judgements mean as much as objective facts.

Ummm..... Yeah! What he said!

Advertisement