Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat DSL - Dublin

Options
  • 28-09-2002 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

There's an article in todays Irish Times about Esat BT buying back some bonds, anyway down the end of the article there's a bit about DSL being introduced in Dublin. Looks like there may finally be some competition...
    Meanwhile, Esat BT said yesterday it had introduced its high-speed internet service in Cork, Kerry, Tralee and Galway. It will also shortly set up its digital subscriber line (DSL) service in Clonmel, Waterford and Dublin.

Esat BT's broadband service will now compete with Eircom's i-stream in Dublin.

Originally, it was only expected to introduce its DSL service in regions where it received Government grant aid.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0928/2171737767BZESATBT.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

But its still going to be the same ridiculous price isnt it? Maybe uncapped but still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Esat's service being uncapped will make a bigger difference than you might think. People in the know will obviously choose the uncapped service (isn't the initial set-up charge much cheaper too?) thus Eircom will lose business and be forced to "reajust" (it's that word again...) the price of their ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well we'll be waiting a long time, they've only started it out in D4, the Esat building in grand canal dock isn't even dsl enabled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I hope it will be some where out near me (d13) ... as far as i know the exchange is upgraded so it will hopefully be not too much of a problem :)

Good to see there expanding there DSL service.....if its anywhere near me ... its mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its all very well and good that they announce they have introduced their service in these areas, but please note that we have yet to see a single subscriber either post, or mentioned on this forum.

Have they actually rolled out yet? or do they mean they have just enabled the exchanges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"It will also shortly set up its digital subscriber line (DSL) service in Clonmel, Waterford and Dublin."

Shortly set up... so no customers yet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

And just because the exchanges will be "set up" for DSL, doesn't mean theyre going to launch it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Indeed, you're absolutely correct. It could be 2003 before we see anything in the good old county of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Um....even if your local exchange is set up for Eircom dsl, Esat can't use that, they have to have their OWN lines, AFAIK.

And they're only working on one exchange in D4 at the mo, as I said up there ^

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

So lets see:
    2003 before ESAT are setup. May or may not launched straight away. If they do launch it will be limited to a few exchanges.
    Uptake will obviously be low at the horrendous asking price and so not much noise will be made about it. Mainly business and heavy home users. This remains the status quo until €ircon lower or are forced to lower wholesale rate so DSL can be offered cheaper, larger uptake of DSL but still small in contrast to rest of Europe who are now using higher bandwith solutions since its now 2006.
    Yeahhh. Only 4 years to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They 'launched' according to the connacht tribune this .Weekn .

again, I know nobody who has it or has been given a firm installation date for it.....

Eshat are puffing out much vapour at the moment I fear

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Originally posted by NoelRock
    "It will also shortly set up its digital subscriber line (DSL) service in Clonmel, Waterford and Dublin."
    Shortly set up... so no customers yet then.

Our company rang Esat last week regarding DSL in Waterford. They said it will be rolled out in January here, with the main exchange in town and tycor business centre being upgraded first. ( IE 2 main exchanges in Waterford City )

looks like the Esat PR bunnies are peddling vapourware again, they are relatively good at it.

Reminds me of NTL who keep relaunching their service in Tallaght again and again about every three months rather than expand the service.

Eshat website has no new info on ADSL since they launched in Limerick (yes its real) 3 months ago or so.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

We're in the process of getting a 1Mb DSL connection from ESAT in Galway city so I think that its safe to say it does exist.

K

as you clearly explained it
    in the process

.....which means they took your order. I know of nobody in Galway who either

1. Has Eshat ADSL
    2. Has a firm installation date.

I'd love to see one meself but anybody can ring ESAT up and order one, in fact they were taking orders in late July ISTR

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Esat BT launches ADSL in more cities

Esat BT's high-speed Internet product became available to three more Irish cities, the firm announced, as its nationwide ADSL plans remain on track.

The company announced this week that its ADSL service, which is already available in Limerick, was now open to consumers and SMEs in Cork, Kerry and Galway. Esat BT plans to provide ADSL from 40 exchanges this year, 10 of which will be located in Dublin and 30 of which will be located throughout the country.

Following the activation of the latest section of its growing ADSL network, Esat BT said it plans to extend the service to Clonmel, Waterford and Dublin before the end of the year. The rollout has been partially funded by the EU through the Department of Public Enterprise.

According to Deirdre Donegan, ADSL Product Manager at Esat BT, the service will be available to as many as 400,000 subscribers by the end of the year, although it will only be reliable for people who live within 3 kilometres of the exchange.

Esat BT is offering three ADSL packages. The entry-level package is the 512kbs offering, which will cost EUR125 to install and EUR90 per month. This provides "always-on" Internet access to users and there is no limit on the number of users who can use the service. Esat BT also provides a 1Mb/s package for EUR205 per month, plus an EUR125 installation fee. Finally it offers a 2Mb/s package for EUR400 and an installation fee for EUR1,500.

The company said that the demand for ADSL technology is growing quickly, particularly through its reseller channel. "We launched the service in 15 exchanges in Limerick in April," said Donegan. "Takeup was slow at first because people weren't familiar with the technology, but now it's an easy sell."

[...]
    "We launched the service in 15 exchanges in Limerick in April," said Donegan.

Wha?

Also, I notice they didn't update their website before they sent out the press release. I have this image in my head of the Esat BT creche, with "Marketing Department" over the door...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by Kix
    We're in the process of getting a 1Mb DSL connection from ESAT in Galway city so I think that its safe to say it does exist.

K

How much!!?

Advertisement