Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V4 D3D Problem

• 28-09-2002 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I cant get my Voodoo4 to work with any Direct3D game.
    Ive tried it with different official drivers under directx7, 8.0, and 8.1 (all combinations) but all yeilded the same result.

Eg. Tomb Raider 3 it loads up to the main menu, the one with the 3D icons and is ok for about 5 seconds then it just freezes wont do anything, I have to restart.

Its the same with every other D3D game.
    Glide and OpenGl work perfectly.

Im running the first edition of win98 but have tried second editon with the same results.

Any help would be much appricated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Could be a conflict with some other hw/sw on your system, but if I were you, I'd bring it back to the shop and exchange it for another model, would save quite a bit of head-scratching.
    Better that, than toiling with it for weeks/months and eventually not being able to return it.
    But that's just me, and I'm extremely lazy, but if you've re-installed your whole OS, it could be just some hardware enigma. <<shrugg>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 helpmepls

I cant bring it back to the shop as I got it from a friend, who bought it when it was first released.

There appears to be no conflicts uder sysinfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

You could try some of these tips to help solve your problems.

1) Dont use windows 98 at all. This is probably one of the reasons your computer crashes all the time when you try to run games. Nab a copy of windows 2000. If your concerned about win2k hogging resources, then buy more ram and you should be fine. Windows 2000 is far more stable than any of the Windows 9X series (windows 95, 98, Me).

2) Visit www.voodoofiles.com .They have a nice selection of drivers for all types of voodoo video cards. If your one is giving you trouble, then try replacing it there.

3) Make sure your voodoo card has enough room in order to be able to dissipate heat. If its covered in drive cables and wires, or located next to a PCI card, then try moving the PCI card elsewhere. You might experience trouble if the card is too hot.

Hope that helps

Matt

Heat is not the problem for sure.

I have a dual fan ISA card and plenty of ventilation and no PCI card next to it. Besides Glide + OpenGL Work Fine Even when and D3D will not work when at normal clock speed.

3dfx Undeground Drivers do not Affect D3D and they are supposed to be the best.

I tried x3Dfx Drivers which claimed "full DX8 compatibility" but still the same result.

I was using the same unified drivers on my V3 with no problems, so I have no Idea what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Try using Tomb Raider 1 and see if that runs okay.
    Also try Quake2 (3DFXOpen GL).
    This will rule out the hardware in the graphics card.

• Advertisement

You seriously think it could be hardware?
    What could be wrong with it?

Im getting win2k as suggested

In unreal tournie Direct3D does not appear as a certified driver.
    I know it did on my V3.

Ive tried lots of drivers with no success.

Frankly Ive Run out of Ideas...

I have Soldier of Fortune and Half-life would they do as Quake2 as I dont have Quake2 or TR1?

Advertisement