Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another protest?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by OHP

Is there a rule or some laid down law on the boards that 'If you cannot spell properly or do not use a spellchecker then do not post here?

Of course not.:)

TBH, generally a case can be made far better in an argument by someone when the spelling is up to par (allowing for typos which everyone makes).

I'm generally very particular about my own spelling and get annoyed when I look back over my own posts and find that in the heat of the moment I've typed "there" instead of "they're". With regard to posts from other people as long as it's intelligible it doesn't really bother me.

That's on a personal note.

On a moderator note, if people can get spelling in order, great. If they can't so what as long as people can understand it? Not everyone can spell well. I know some extremely intelligent people who can't spell for toffee. Many of them are technically minded (as you might expect). Dustaz has pointed out at least once recently that this is the IrelandOffline forum, not a spelling bee. Everyone brings something to the table regardless of their spelling abilities - an argument stands on its own merit not on how well it's spelled.

Anyone who has big problems with a particular user's spelling, take it to PMs. Look at your own shortcomings before you do though.

(comments on libel law are deserved though - careful now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 knower of all

as a great man[me once said]:
    if you can correct it,i got my point across.
    as for my spelling...
    it happens,sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Thank you for clarifying that sceptre :)
    /me puts his Spellchecker back in his Holster :p

(comments on libel law are deserved though - careful now)

I agree notice I never mentioned it :)

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by knower of all
    I see the comprenshion of a joke is lost to you then?

Yes, totally - the inclusion of the :D at the end of my comment was probably the result of a spelling mistake on my part!

My original comment was intended sarcastically. I'm rather surprised at the level of discussion it generated :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i haven't read all the posts so i'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. Anyway what about setting up a little stand/stall thing in your town square/street with information handouts on how we are so behind, basically detailing everything, the dark fibre just lying there, why no flat-rate and so on. I'll be happy to contribute whatever i can to the cost and content of these handouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

How about we all dress up in drag and march to the tune of "I want to break free...".

Any excuse to do it in public...:D

On a more serious note, some type of stunt like this would be the 'hook' the media might warm to. Thirty or fourty Freddie Mercury lookalikes marching down Kildare Street...it would get IOFFL the attention it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

DeVore, don't let this thread die!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Devore, I believe it would be no problem to get a 1000 people out on the day, everyone of us here knows a few people who we can bring along, count me in to arrive on the day.

Advertisement