Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT 4.0 question

Options
  • 29-09-2002 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi Peeps!

does anyone know if it is possible to move shares on NT 4.0 machines?

Heres the situation:

PDC (soon to be decomisioned) hase approx 400-450 shared folders

BDC new machine, is to take over from the existing PDC, and be promoted to PDC itself

loades of shared user folders (too many to do it manualy) that need to be put on the new machine.

I am not looking forward to recreating the shares on the (NOW) BDC..... a nice little utility that could help me moce the folders (and retaing the shares) would be helpfull...

Thanx in advance.
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

whats wrong with just copying all data across the network or crossover and then sharing out the folder on the BDC?

[edit] oh yeah, permissions

You have certain permissions for certain folders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

because there are about 400-450 shared folders.

last time I made a batch file that did it all for me, but there must be an easier way. I recieved a link to a website that explains all. apparently you open the shares key in lanmanserver and copy the whole key to the mew machine, and with the scopy util from the resource kit you can copy the data and maintain permissions of folders and files.

but as per usual, there is bound to be sone sort of hitch...I'll give it a try and post back....

D.

well, that worked a treat, between scopy.exe and saving the Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Shares the shares and permissions have been transfered to the BDC, all that is left to be done is modifying the logon scripts and promoting the BDC to PDC.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

You're welcome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Must be user personal drives or something.

Make sure you delete the shares on the pdc before you delete the directories themselves.

It delays a boot by 5 secs or so PER DIR of you delete a directory that is shared before you have unshared it (thereby clearing the registry entry)

M

• Advertisement

it also fils up the eventlog like nobody's business, and yes they are user folders.

d.

Advertisement