Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1942 - what do u think of it?

Options
  • 29-09-2002 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought Battlefield 1942 last week and started playing with great anticipation (as I was very impressed with the demo).

I have been at it for a few nights now and just can not get into it, although it is super in its detail, the number of different armour and weapons. At this point it may just be that I have spent too much time on MOHAA mutliplayer and am too acustomed to close up action, where as this one is incredibly realsitic where you run for a minute and zap.... never saw that dam sniper.

Anyhow, I'll continue to try and get into it... let me know your thoughts.

The Duke :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I love it.....

my fav part is bombing an aircraft carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'm a little disappointed with the AI.

More than once an enemy soldier has run straight past me, and calling for an artillery spotter or backup never seems to have an effect. In fact they never seem to use the radio at all, or are ever around when you need them. And trying to increase the CPU time for AI just seems to make the game run like a dog, on my system at least (1Ghz AMD). Similarly with trying to increase the amount of them, as the maps feel a little empty with the default number.

However apart from that I think it's a very good game - it feels and looks great, the gun emplacements and vehicles are so much fun, and I bet with a good few people on a LAN it's ****ing brilliant.

It's just a pity the AI lets it down so much in single player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its amazing,if like me and ur stuck on 56k try out against 30 or so bots.
    25% cpu usage ,this way it gets pretty intense and with so many bots you dont notice too much when they do something silly.
    Yes bots eat up resourses but turn sound detail to low and all is fine.At times the bots amaze me.
    Last night i played a lan with 19 bots at Matket garden,set tickets to 400%,at one stage while i was an engineer i lay down 3 mines on an approach bridge when i turned to move back closer to my base i noticed 4 bots running towards bridge,"oh no watch the mines" i thought,but to my amazement they walked carefully around the mines.I then got an enemy tank to chase me over mines and Boom ! awesome fun.
    Its with about 8 a side i notice silly antics with AI but as i said with lots of them one doesnt notice as much.
    im stuck to playing with 5 or so guys online with poxy 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great game i dont think it was ever meant for SP play and it sjust there to boost sales its a Lan /online game.
    Tho the bandwidth it consumes is a joke.
    But EA are starting the pay per play option now so all those EA servers will be a monthly subbie to play on them (hence the cd key check)

Spearhead will have it also.

Like the game but even with DSL i can only play on UK servers going any further and it lags real bad.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well i like the gameplay but there are a few things annoing me now. For example, the accuracy of the sniper. You aim at a guy and have to wait 10sec b4 you have anychance of hitting him. Also you can't see out the plane when you flying which is just gay. Other than that i love the game. I think wake island would be an excellant level for a lan or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

class game. although I've found in a LOT of servers though, whenever you get a plane a split second before another person gets it, they tend to shoot you down out of the sky :p . I cant wait to play it again at the next LAN, hoping on having some flight skillz by then.. them planes are hard to fly..

Raven press C to have an outside the plane view.
    near impossible to fly using 1st person view.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

just a note on the plane flying... indeed a hard piece of work but press F9 to get rid of the cockpit... and it makes it allot easier. The official site mention that a flight joystick is a must...

I am slowly getting the hand of it, patch and tuned my machine to perfection (1.8GHz/256MB/GeForceII) and it runs well relatively high graphics and good number of bots. I am starting to figure out the weapons and approaches too, my favourite is to get into the Kuebelwagen, spin around the back to a nice and cosy place and take some pot shots with the Stg44... just like home ;-))

What I do like about the AI is that (and I only ever play with a decent amount of bots otherwise it is boring) if you sneak around the will not see you until you fire your first shot... thus, wait till the moment is right.

The weapons are kind of crappy though, the only one that is of any use is the MP40 and the Stg44 (or Thompson/Bren respectively - not Bren what is it called again) - the sniper rifle is very frustrating -you get one shot (which will usually miss) then all bots see you and blast a hole into the ground you once so snugly lay on.

Also, it would have been nice if the Russians got their own light guns as well (missed the PHPP (or PPHP) sub machine gun - again forgot the name).

Once I get a little better I am going to try it online again and see how I get on... but as I use 64kb ISDN I can never go beyond 15 players - ping/throughput just dies after that.... which brings me back to the DSL whine... ;-))

Anyhow, all in all I am getting in to it.. see at the next net bash..

The Duke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

u have no idea how delighted I am to hear that ;-)) spend an hour yesterday as I was going to crack the dog fits and bomb dropping or die... guess what ;-))

the f'n AI planes will hit you with every first shot though...

The Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Id have to agree with jazz the AI is total crap.on one level i was in the british tank @ the machine gun and a bot jumped in ( which i thought o cool ) and drove straight over to the enemy base he then proceeded to park himself right in front of a german tank and just sat there and we both got wasted!!.I mean wtf.Anyway the artillery is great once you figure out how to use it in secondary fire.The 32 player games are totally mental and it's not laggy ( 1mb adsl ).O yeah the tk's really pi$$ me off aswell!!!

COMBATCOW >:^)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i did a belly to belly head on roll

i was in a spitfire, linkin was in a bf109 and we were jousting, almost hit each other but we spun and did the belly to belly at the last second.

then i tried flying inverted over the b-17, it owns.

also try inverted under a bridge on market garden, wake island and bocage.....it rocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Battlefield 1942 is t3h w1n!!

On a less glib note, I have to say that the actual game engine in itself is not particularly impressive, but the sheer interactivity and number of strategic actions that can be taken makes the game an instant classic. The number of people that can play at one time makes it a massive multiplayer game, and maps like Wake Island are almost perfect environments in which one can play.

I really need to brush up on my flying skillz, but I can't wait to be dogfighting one minute (and bailing the next when I get shot down :D) and then parachuting into enemy territory.

For the moment, it probably is limited to LAN play (for me at least) because the pings on my modem make it prohibitive for me to play :(. Ah well.

On TMT when we 1st got the Beta from EA i was the only one who could fly perfectly using the Default keys.

Now it seems im still the only one.

Jump in plane hit C see if anyone wants to hop in as well ,if not take off .

A simple whacking of up and down arrowsd keeps the plane steady and straight and WASD makes it turn.

I found that strafing is near impossible and more than likley will get you shot down really fast.

Bombing is easy with the 3rd person mode ,best way to learn is to play on your own and figure out angle you need to be at.

I 1st started by diving towards the target the pulling up vertical release bomb near 100% strike rate.

After a while you learn when to hit the fire button.

The best thing about the planes although they are great to fly the mix realism and fun perfectly.

kdja

There really is a nice balance between fun and realism - I mastered the plane (dog fights, shooting down bombers, still crap at dive bombing.. need to get the timing right) with keyboard (put the rudders on Crtl and Keypad Ins and the rest on the direction keys) - do speed and firing with keys on the left.

Whilst the bulk of the posse rummage around in tanks or by foot, I fly... and parachute. The luxury of it all.

Any idea how I can control my bots??? I tried the commands but I don't believe they made any difference - are they just taunts or are they actually supposed to do something?

The Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

if you setup a coop lan game instead of an instant action game you can alter the skill of the bots

i set it to 100, they have awesome aim and are very tenacious.

oh and sneking doesnt work :p

i tried using the commands but they still wont follow orders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

To get the most out of the planes I suggest you do the following:

1. Stay in first person mode, it's a bit ticky to start with but you'll be far more accurate.

2. Hit F9 every time you enter the plane, to get rid of the annoying cockpit

3. Use the mouse for aelerons and elevators (up/down left/right), A and D for rudder (strafe left and right) and W and S for the throttle. For Guns and Bombs use the mouse buttons.

You will crash *a lot* to start with, but stick with it.. the above set-up is by far the best for succesful dogfighting and strafing. Don't forget to use your rudder to line up targets just right.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Love the game ...... best game to be released in a while.

Single player can be a bit laggy with lots of bots, I find a CO OP Lan game better :)

I have found that the F11 view to be better when flying planes .... mouse better too ... more accurate :)

Cant wait till they get it less laggy :D

Advertisement