Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

802.11b - maximum cell capacity?

Options
  • 29-09-2002 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm just basically trying to figure out how many nodes you could have in say a 2km range from a base station, and still guarantee a speed of about 1 Mbps, or maybe 512Kbps ... is there any formula to work it out?

From articles I've read it appears that only one node can transmit at any one time, so what happens if there was 100 nodes in the cell. Would they all be competing too viciously for their own transmission time that nothing would get through and the whole thing just wouldn't work? This is the bit I'm not sure about.

I'm thinking the fact 802.11b has 3 non-overlapping channels it could be able to do something smart to avoid this situation ... like transmit on one channel to see if it's allowed transmit, while data will always transmit unhindered on the other 2. But that's just me guessing. It must do a lot of clever stuff that I'm not smart enough to understand. After reading quite a lot, I really amn't sure. So I'm asking!

Anyone know the number of nodes a cell can take, to guarantee a speed of at least 512Kbps?

(in case you were wondering, yes I am very seriously thinking about getting half of my neighbourhood hooked up to the internet. And yes I'll probably post this in IrishWan if no one knows here :) )

Advertisement