Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey good looking!

• 29-09-2002 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

I've been watching this game-show called 'Your Face or Mine' in which contestants are shown pics of other people and they have to guess whether they are more/less attractive in order to win money. You get the idea already, it's not rocket science..

Clearly, it's a rather heartless and crass piece of television but one thing I quickly noticed from watching it was that that it seemed much more important for female contestants to be better looking than her peers (AND better looking than their current partner). As well as this when it came to guessing whether they were better/worse looking than other people the female contestants chose themselves more often than the males did during their turns!

In fact, the response by males/females to whether their partner was better looking than another member of the public seemed to back up what I was thinking. Whilst the male contestant would nearly always (even when he clearly didn't believe it!) say his g/f was better looking than ANYONE who was lined up for comparison to her the female would at least half the time say that the her b/f was less attractive than whom he was being compared to.

So it got me thinking, do women in general have a higher opinion of their looks than they probably should? If so, then why? And on the flip side, do men underestimate their appeance? Once again, If so, then why?

I look foward to your opinions.

BTW, (just in case it starts going that way) I don't mean this to be a debate on whether it's more important in life for a woman to be good looking than it is for a man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by Pigman

So it got me thinking, do women in general have a higher opinion of their looks than they probably should? If so, then why? And on the flip side, do men underestimate their appeance? Once again, If so, then why?

I think women who are they are good looking know they are.Its because their friends can tell them that they look great without sounding.......er,weird.Whereas if your best friend told you that you were very attractive he would be in the emergency room within a short time.
    I wouldnt consider myself pug fugly but at the same time I wouldnt consider myself flawless,what with the odd spot or two round the face,the hairs growing out of the mole under my chin that I always seem to forget to cut off if im knackered,and the annoying habit that my hair has developed recently of two little pieces standing up on both sides making me look like the child of satan.Im often unshaven,lazyness lets my hair sometimes go too long...........and yet alot of pretty girls find me attractive:eek: :confused::) I think women dont care as much about the odd flaw as we do.
    For example quite a few girls I know would like friends of mine who are quite fat.But most boys would say about a girl"Shes got a nice face but i wouldnbt go with her unless she got a little lighter".
    I think women take whats available-we men are just too picky:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

it weird, coz i wouldve always considered men to be more confident about their looks than women, yet the show proves me to be quite wrong

maybe its the type of people that go on the show? I mean, you'd have to be pretty confident to go on a tv show in the first place?

the way i see it, it doesnt matter what you look like, there will always be people who find the most beautiful person ugly and the most ugly person beautiful.

I dont really have an opinion about how i look because of this,but with respect to partners, i cant help but find them really attractive, even if the general concensus is that they're ugly, coz if im attracted to someone enough to be with them, personality wise, they become even beter looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon it's more of a His-feelings-versus-Her's situation. And as all men know, her feelings will always win.

If the man declares that he is better looking than his partner, or that one of her mates is better looking then her, he won't hear the end of it, and she'll feel **** about herself for a long time.

If she does the same to him, they'll just go home, have a quick shag, and he'll be happy.

That's just the way it is.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Yes, I dont think that women do really care for looks unless they are really shallow...
    same with men, whats the point in dating the sexiest of ppl if she's an absaloute bitch to you and your friends...
    I'm a bit of a dreamer but I do believe that you will find that certain some1 no matter how they look.

and on another note, I dont think I've met any1 who looks sexier than myself, and my mirror would agree!
    :D

Advertisement