Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2- Badly Designed?

Options
  • 29-09-2002 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I just thought Id bring up the fact that Ive had 2 broken PS2's replaced since I got mine in june 2001.

I got the first one on the 2/6/01 and I was all grand for about a month.

One day I turned on the main power and expected the red-light to come on...it didnt. Brought it back it was tested, faulty, replaced on the spot (good service ken black)

My new one was perfect untill the time FF6 was relesed on PS1
    I bought it cause it had Demo of FFX.
    It was all grand but after a day or so the speech stopped working in cut scenes.

Must be Dirty I thought, I checked to make sure it was clean and put it back in and loaded it up. "Disk Read Error"
    I though it was a once off, badly made disk etc.

Bought FFX a day after it was released, worked fine till luca, PS2 ate it, circular rings around the spindle hole ame as the demo.

Got a new PS2 and a new FFX (good service ken blacks)
    But it took a month.....

Its been working fine ever since but I ask what will go wrong next?

While the shop were taking my details I noticed that there was a specific book for PS2 repairs/retuns and it was nearly full. (three reports to a page, and a book about 3cm thick) and the assistant said the same thing happend to her husband!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

(sorry this is quite big)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Someone from Konami (Hideo Kojima if memory serves) recently slammed Sony for their horrificly shoddy parts in the PlayStation 2 - he, like you, has had three PS2's.

And you do realise that these three PS2's you have are each contributing to that distributed total of thirty million - right? They don't claim to have sold them or whatnot, just that thirty million have been made and sent out.

Personally speaking, my first PS2 broke back in March - I've since had to buy a second one, but if that breaks - it'll be the last PS2 I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

these three PS2's you have

They took back the damaged one's but I know what your getting at, the actual sale figure is probably a lot lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by NoelRock

And you do realise that these three PS2's you have are each contributing to that distributed total of thirty million - right?

MS apply the exact same logic to the news draft they supply to websites etc.

1 million Xboxs shipped /translate=
    1 million Xboxs shipped to suppliers.

The PS2 is gaming king in every respect regardless of the marketing spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I remember having to return my Playstation (1) about three times in the space of a few months... the CDROM seems to go to crap after a while <<shrugg>>
    My DreamCast is still running beautifully though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Out of interest, do you guys run your PS2s standing vertically? Apparently that REALLY reduces the lifespan of the DVD drive in them, and can contribute a lot to scratching on the discs.

(For what it's worth, the PS2 is considered quite unreliable, although not as bad as the original PS1 models. The Xbox has the worst track record so far of all the next-gen consoles regarding returns, GameCube has by far the best - although there has been some trouble with small radial cracks appearing in the GameCube plastic around the buttons on the case, this doesn't count since the console still works perfectly, and most retailers refuse to take returns on that basis.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

TBH Shinji, I have zero experience in the figures of returns and am basically running on personal experience - so I'll take your stuff for granted.

So far my GameCube and XBox are still happily chugging away after seven and three months respectively. My PS2 packed in after about eighteen months (I ran it lying down to be honest, it wasn't a style statement - just the way my room was laid out) and I had to buy another. The same thing happened with my PS1, I ran through three of those in total.

Meanwhile, my Dreamcast is still running perfectly after three years (wow... it has been a while) - what a machine :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The two PS2s in my house both run perfectly, and both are stood vertically.

In fact, the only console that gives me hassle is my Sega Saturn, which just simply refuses to run half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

1) Who cares how many units a company's shipped. Just play the damn thing.

2) I have no doubt Xboxes are the least reliable. Strolling around shop after shop this summer in america, i was amazed at how many of the Xbox display units had crashed, mid-game, completely unresponsive to any input from the joypad. I never saw that once with a PS2 or Gamecube.

3) My SNES still works perfectly, but some of my spectrums are beginning to have difficulty loading some games, probably due to the fact the tapes have been stored in the damp attic and many of them are over 20 years old now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've had my PS2 for a year now, without a problem. Its been in the "flat" position all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm handling my PS2 with Kid gloves. My brother bought his last October and though he looks after his really well the disc tray is not running properly, every time it closes or opens it grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by chernobyl

MS apply the exact same logic to the news draft they supply to websites etc.

1 million Xboxs shipped /translate=
    1 million Xboxs shipped to suppliers.

The PS2 is gaming king in every respect regardless of the marketing spin.

God forbid someone says something bad about the PS2 without the Xbox's name getting dirtied too. Im surprised it made 3 threads without the X word getting quoted.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

HeHeHE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Np's with my PS2. Flat position. Has been on for up to 18 hrs at a stretch quite often. (damn u FFX ;) )

Had to replace my orig ps1 once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Have had a jap ps2 series 10000 since launch in japan. Had to re-grease the bars the drawer runs on a couple of times as it got dry and started to drag. Cleaned the lens a few times as well. Its been dropped from a table once and has given me little or no trouble and its a couple of years old now.

When the DC was still about we used to get alot in for power supply repairs. A stupid amount of DC's used to just reset mid-game, something to do with overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tbh, I've seen, heard and used PS2 and XBox, and I have to say, for a piece of kit costing that much they really should ahve better quality fans in them.

Oh, and btw, I think they both look like dogs.
    The Gamecube is luverly, except for the silly handle.

If you want true style, get some skills and mod your case into something origional and interesting.

I'm going to chcuk the 3 boards from my PS1 into something different (think MD1 case atm) and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

do you guys run your PS2s standing vertically?

I used to but I heard a lot about it scratching disks etc, When mine destroyed FFX and the demo it was in vertical position,

I heard things about GTA3 refusing to run on some PS2s because of Vertical Positioning or how GTA reads the disk constantly or somthing.

My PS1 a reliable machine, always works (got it in 1996) never any prolems with laser or anything.

Although some people dropped them out second floor windows when they got the PS2......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by SyxPak
    The Gamecube is luverly, except for the silly handle.

The silly handle that's on the back, that you can't see? Or do you have your gamecube positioned backwards under your telly?

I'm going to chcuk the 3 boards from my PS1 into something different (think MD1 case atm) and see how it goes.

Ooh. make sure to post some pictures when it's finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by Shinji
    GameCube has by far the best

I have never had any problems with any of my Ninty gear, nes/gameboy/snes (my snes used to get such a kicking!)

my ps1 was grand, never a problem unless the CD was borked...and my PS2 is fine

the only thing i broke was 2 ps1 joypads, I smashed one playing Abes Odessey, and i smashed the other playing WipEout 2097

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by NoelRock
    So far my GameCube and XBox are still happily chugging away after seven and three months respectively. My PS2 packed in <snip> and I had to buy another. The same thing happened with my PS1, I ran through three of those in total.

Meanwhile, my Dreamcast is still running perfectly
    Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    The two PS2s in my house <snip> the only console that gives me hassle is my Sega Saturn, which just simply refuses to run half the time.

FOR FCUK SAKE!!! How much money do ppl (or your parents anyway) have??? My simple knowledge of maths leads me to two possibilities:
    a) you work day in day out to pay for the things, and consequently have shag all time to play with them
    or
    b) mammy and daddy jumped when you said BUY IT.
    or
    c) you robbed the fcukin things

AND THEN! the games. My gawd. €, € and more €!

I'm still happy with my original Playstation :)

(clicked yet?)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

FOR FCUK SAKE!!! How much money do ppl (or your parents anyway) have??? My simple knowledge of maths leads me to two possibilities:
    a) you work day in day out to pay for the things, and consequently have shag all time to play with them
    or
    b) mammy and daddy jumped when you said BUY IT.
    or
    c) you robbed the fcukin things

two possiblities eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

lmao :D

He really has a very simple understandinf of maths. He didnt get as far as counting to 3 yet it seems ;)

On topic: my ps2 has dropped a few times and tbh im really surprised on how well it took some of the punishment it receives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

FOR FCUK SAKE!!! How much money do ppl (or your parents anyway) have???

Hmm.... At last count there were just over 20 consoles in my house :) Phear! Nakey's stash has nothing on mine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

two possiblities eh?

It was a pisstake. :rolleyes:

You may have noticed the bit a few lines down:
    (clicked yet?)

I might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but it seems I'm not exactly the slowest cog in the machinery.

:p

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Shinji

Hmm.... At last count there were just over 20 consoles in my house :) Phear! Nakey's stash has nothing on mine! :)

But Rob how many of those were freebies... people buying you off for a good review (when sex hasn't worked)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

*tickles his two gamecubes, two ps2s, two GBAs, Dreamcast, N64, Saturn, MegaDrive and SNES*

I only bought the SNES, DC, GC and GBA - the rest are either my brothers' or where from my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

(my snes used to get such a kicking!)

Im guessing Mario Kart;). Sweet merciful jesus I loved that game but the difficulty levels were totally fecked up, going from easy to hard was like going from the MagillyCuddyReeks to Kilimanjaro

/edit And Mark swiftly relizes how off topic he just went and tries to rectify this: No problems with the gc btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Lasers are bastards. Either that, or the people that tell you your laser's buggered are bastards. I got through 2 PS1s & 2 PS2s. Fortunately my PS2 broke the day before the garantee ran out & the nice people at sony motorbiked me around a replacement the next day.

What the hell is it that goes wrong with the bastard laser anyway?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Oh, and by the way SearrarD I bought all of my machines on part time temping jobs. Jesus - they don't cost THAT much. Admittedly, I had to resort to robbery to get my PC...

Advertisement