Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Important To All Msn Users

• 29-09-2002 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

iI wasen't sure where to post this.....this seemed as good place as any
    there is something going around msn......it runs a webbi of your pc.....and spreads its self,it gets into one's msn file and msgs whom ever one is chatting.....to go to this using sly phrases like :
    silly,
    can you cheak this out,
    look at this for me
    and so on...
    eg:barron says:
    hay
    barron says:
    silly, http://***************:8180
    i have {blanked that part out for it is my ip but there is the phrase in question}
    court says:
    hi
    barron says:
    dont
    barron says:
    dont go to that
    barron says:
    omfg
    barron says:
    i frogot
    barron says:
    its a virus on my pc
    barron says:
    it will get you .......nooooooooooooo
    court says:
    r u serious
    barron says:
    yeah
    barron says:
    it get you?
    barron says:
    it will msg anyone you talk to on msn
    barron says:
    and get them too
    barron says:
    i dont know what it does

i don't actually know what it does...and have only came across it....i warn you.......and ask for your help on this topic......
    i did a virus scan and deleted all the files i can find of it......
    i warn whom ever i talk to on msn.....but still not sure if it is eating up my connection by hosting the site.

i warn you...and pleed for any information regarding this topic...plz tell others to be careful too
    it is well made and very sly
    I bid you all good day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 knower of all

some very intresting news.......
    said program has infected my yahoo messanger aswell....
    and this is after my virus scan
    im boggeled

anyone with any help plz ,it would be much appreicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

hth
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.aplore@mm.html
    W32.Aplore@mm
    Category2
    Discovered on: April 8, 2002
    Last Updated on: August 20, 2002 08:33:48 PM

W32.Aplore@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread using email, IRC, and AOL Instant Messenger

The worm sends an email that contains an attachment, Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com, to all addresses that it finds in the Microsoft Outlook address book.

When connected to IRC or AIM, the worm sends a Web link to IRC channels or AIM contacts which references an .html file that was dropped on the infected computer. This file displays as a Web page, which asks the visitor to run a copy of the worm.

Also Known As: W32.Aphex@mm, Bloodhound.VBS.Worm, I-Worm.Aplore [AVP], W32/Aplore-A [Sophos], W32/Aplore@MM [McAfee], Win32.Aphex [CA], WORM_APLORE.A [Trend], W32/Explorer [Panda]
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 319,488 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
    Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, Unix, Linux

protection

threat assessment

Wild

* Number of infections: 50 - 999
    * Number of sites: 3 - 9
    * Geographical distribution: Medium
    * Threat containment: Easy
    * Removal: Easy

Threat Metrics
    Medium Low High

Wild:
    Medium

Damage:
    Low

Distribution:
    High

Damage

* Payload:
    o Large scale e-mailing: Yes

Distribution

* Subject of email: .
    * Name of attachment: Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com
    * Size of attachment: 319,488 Bytes

technical details

When the worm is executed by running the file Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com, it does the following:

1. It copies itself as:
    o \%System%\Explorer.exe
    o \%System%\Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com

NOTE: %System% is a variable. The worm locates the \Windows\System folder (by default this is C:\Windows\System or C:\Winnt\System32) and copies itself to that location.
    2. It adds the value

Explorer %SYSTEM%\Explorer.exe

to the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run

so that it runs when you start Windows.

3. Next, it drops the file \%System%\Email.vbs. It then uses Microsoft Outlook to spread itself. The email has the following characteristics:

Subject: .
    Attachment: Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com

NOTE: The subject and message each consist of only a period.

4. It drops the file \%System%\Index.html. It then attempts to run Psecure20x-cgi-install.version.6.01.bin.hx.com from the System folder by using a refresh tag in the dropped .html file. The following .html message appears:

Browser Plugin Required:

You may need to restart your browser for changes to take affect.
    Security Certificate by Verisign 2002.
    MD5: 9DD756AC-80E057FC-E00703A2-F801F2E3

Click HERE and choose "Run" to install.

5. It drops the file \Windows\Aphex.jpg.
    6. Finally, it attempts to spread itself using IRC or AOL Instant Messenger ()AIM.

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) functionality
    Once the worm is active on the infected computer, it acts as an HTTP server on port 8180. This server hosts one Web page. The page displays the text that is mentioned in step 4 of the previous section.

The worm waits for you to connect to AIM; it then sends one of the following one-line messages to your AIM contacts:

* btw, download this,
    * I wanted to show you this,
    * please check out,
    * hey go to,
    * see if you can get this to work,
    * this is cool,
    * tell me what you think about,
    * try this,
    * I almost forgot about,
    * I like this,
    * what about,
    * have you seen,
    * interestin,
    * lol,
    * wow,
    * whoa,
    * neat,
    * cool,
    * hmm,
    * psst,
    * hehe,
    * haha,
    * silly,
    * weird,

The message also includes a link, which references the hosted Web page, to the (now infected) computer. This functions only with the AOL software that is used with an AOL subscription. This does not function with the stand-alone AIM client.

recommendations

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

* Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.
    * If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
    * Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services.
    * Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.
    * Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
    * Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.
    * Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

removal instructions

NOTE: These instructions are for all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Update the virus definitions, and then restart the computer in Safe mode. Run a full system scan, and delete all files that are detected as W32.Aplore@mm.
    2. Delete the value

from the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.

To scan for and delete the infected files:

1. Obtain the most recent virus definitions. There are two ways to do this:
    o Run LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers one time each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
    o Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.

Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.
    2. Restart the computer in Safe mode. All Windows 32-bit operating systems except Windows NT can be restarted in Safe mode. For instructions on how to do this, read the document How to start the computer in Safe Mode.
    3. Start your Symantec antivirus program, and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
    o Norton AntiVirus Consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
    o Symantec Enterprise antivirus products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
    4. Run a full system scan.
    5. If any files are detected as infected by W32.Aplore@mm, click Delete.

To edit the registry:

CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    3. Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run

4. In the right pane, delete the following value:

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

Additional information:
    * Definitions dated prior to April 8, 2002, may detect the Email.vbs file as Bloodhound.VBS.Worm.
    * Definitions dated prior to April 9, 2002, will detect this as W32.Aphex@mm.

Revision History:
    * April 9, 2002: Added information about AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) functionality
    * April 10, 2002
    o Renamed to W32.Aplore@mm
    o Modified short description
    * August 20, 2002: Updated removal instructions.

Advertisement