Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browsers on OSX

• 30-09-2002 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I just downloaded and ran Chimera 0.5 - and what they say about it is true- It's definately the fastest browser around. I mean compared to IE and Mozilla atleast (havent tried Opera or others).

Hows everyone elses browser experiences on OSX? So far Chimera seems to be holding on against all websites Ive visited. Think I'll make it my default :D

ibook g3/700
    640mb Ram

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I use iCab (http:/www.icab.de) Version 2.8.2 is a little unstable, so try 2.8.1.

It's only a beta, but you can configure absolutely everything. It's been a year since I've seen a banner add or a popup:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 nick_riviera

I've heard good things about Chimera-I must try it out.Does anyone else get problems with text disappearing in IE,then reappearing if you scroll to a different part of the page?Or is it just my iBook being slow?

I've tried Opera,don't find it quite as good as it was on Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I get the exact same problems with IE. At first I thought it was my ibook being slow- then I had a g3/700 with 128mb ram. But Ive upgraded to 640mb and it still acts up. Seems more like a bug than anything to do with slow computers.

I mean, Chimera is perfect and crisp.

IE seemed flimsy most of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I haven't seen Chimera (URL?), but by far and away the finest Unicode support for the Mac OS can be found in OmniWeb -- http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nick riviera and synkronite, I get that problem too, getting fed up with IE, more problems than just that. Sometimes when I go to a cocoa based app (I think it is, prolly I am wrong as usual) and then flick back to explorer I wait and wait and no loading happens until I click the top tab when suddenly the window shifts waaaaay over to the left or right. Bloody annoying. I'm going to try that chimera whatsit thing now...

As for Omniweb, have used it loads and find it really really sucky on Java. In fact the pages seem quite fuzzy - out of focus on the text for some reason. A mac guru I know swears by Omni but I hate it grotesquely :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/

It's in version 0.5beta right now

Very stable though- no crashes yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

A blunt instrument. Unicode display is not great, and the Last Resort font is not shown for valid Unicode sequences -- nor is a question mark for some scripts -- just a bunch of spaces. Tsk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Chimaera is nice, quite fast though it's pretty buggy still and flash/swf performance is poor. I hope someday it gets up to the standard of something like Galeon. :)

The people who wrote IE for MacOS X should be dragged out and shot :( It makes it sad how rubbish that browser is. I'm seriously considering going back to linux for my main work/net OS (having switched to MacOS X over a year ago).

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

AFAIK, IE needs to be wrapped parisitcally round the heart of an OS (to the point that it is the OS, just about) to function properly, so that's prolly why the mac version sux :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I don't believe that's the reason, since the windows and mac versions are different code-bases from what I've heard. MS are just slack. :)

Teeth.

• Advertisement

Timod, I want to try out iCab but can't get a working download. All sources seem to point to the home ftp for 2.82 and after downloading it gives me a corrupted file on unstuff.

Any suggestions?

Jeez, no idea.

Try searching for iCab on version tracker. They're bound to link to a stable mirror... I think!

BTW, point to note, boards.ie menuing system doesn't work with iCab (doesn't support CSS positioning yet), so I've disabled JavaScript for boards. It's a bit of a bummer, but browsing without ads, and without popups is brilliant :)

Ah, didn't think of versiontracker, thanks timod.

K that seemed to work, posting on iCab now. It does seem a wee bit etch-a-sketchy doesn't it?! But I like this no images and popups and fast-ish loads.

Thanks timod :)

Yeah, the amount of preferences that you can modify is amazing.

Of course that can be a good thing and a bad thing :)

There's a fairly active discussion group that you can sign up for at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icab
    if you're interested in other peoples thoughts and experiences with iCab

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Just got Chimera after reading this thread - its so much faster than IE its not funny :)

Hope it holds up alright on the sights I use. First impressions are excellent - now to move IE out of the dock!

Advertisement