Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8210 Screen Issue...

Options
  • 30-09-2002 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I have an 8210 that is inflicted with screen issue where the screen goes blank ( or corrupted ) randomly or when you press around the screen itself.

Does anybody know if you can fix this yourself? ( and if so, is it easy? )

Or can you get it fixed ( outside of warranty ) and if so, how much would it be likely to cost?

Thanks,
    Zab.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, this is a very common problem, which you can have fixed quite readily, by returning your phone to a Carphone Warehouse, or simillar phone re-seller. I did this, however, it was back to normal(broken), after approx 6 months.

Haven't heard of anyone doing it themselves..

A few friends got lucky and had their 8210's replaced out of warranty.. It's worth a try..

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

exact same thing happened my 8210. It was under warranty so i was lucky. If your posting it, post it to the MPRC in Dublin there the best. They done a same day repair on mines and had it returned by courier the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

with those lcd fade / freeze symptoms, it's usually a part called the elastomer, it's a thin piece of plastic with conductive strips sandwiched in parallel along it's length, it connects the lcd display contacts to the main board, the part is only a couple of euro

but, it may be an issue with the lcd display itself which is a more expensive component to replace

not sure of your status if the phone is out of warranty, they usually sick to the one year cover. phone insurance may cover it (check your policy) but worth calling a repair center to see if it can be fixed for free (or low cost), :

Mobile Phone Repair Company Ireland,
    Cellular House, 1 Sandyford Park, Sandyford
    Industrial Estate, Dublin 18. Tel: 353 1 295 0907

or

FoneFix, (Sigma Telecom), McKee Avenue,
    Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland. Tel: 1850-66-00-00

if they maintain the "out of warranty" line, you can pick up an elastomer on the net for about EUR 5, you need a Torax T6 Screwdriver if you plan a DIY job on your 8210

HTH,
    Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks for all the replys.

I had heard of the 'elastomer' bit alright, and I did have a look in the phone and immediately came across the screwdriver problem you mentioned.

I have also seen the part for sale online, and it is very cheap which makes the self-fix option attractive. I will get in touch with those companies you mentioned, but I am pretty sure the phone is quite some time out of warranty, and I have no insurance scheme. ( I was not the original owner of the phone )

Do you have any idea of the difficulty of replacing the part once you have the phone opened?

Thanks,
    Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

If you're feeling lucky then you could try this method. I was told it by my friend who works in a phone shop... take the phone apart with a torx screwdriver, or a normal screwdriver at an angle, take it all to bits and remove the LCD screen and find the elastomer just below it. Then, using a rubber, softly rub the elastomer and put it back together, It worked for my 8210, It may work for you.. I suggest you try that before buying a replacement, but if it's under warrenty then you'll probably do better taking it back to the shop as you'll loose warranty once you've opened the case afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

try this

Take front cover off, stick a bit of foam rubber (35mm long x 5mm wide x 2mm thick - the type you get with packaging) just below the speaker (it should fit perfectly and doesn't foul the speaker). Reseal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Ok, it seems that I have sorted this problem now.

I got in contact with both of the companies mentioned. The Mobile Phone Repair Company quoted around €60 and FoneFix €70. I didn't like the sound of either, so I decided to try to fix it myself.

I didn't have a T6 screwdriver, so I went ahead and puchased one along with a Nokia 8210 elastomer. Both of these are fairly cheap and readily available on the internet.

Looking around, I found this page showing how to dismantle the phone, and nicely highlighting the interesting parts. I swapped in the elastomer I had bought and turned on the phone.... the screen worked for about two seconds and then went blank. I tried replacing the new elastomer a few times without making any headway ( the screen didn't show anything since the first attempt ).

I figured that I had managed to break something, but I decided to pop back in the old elastomer anyway.... and the phone is now as good as new! So it seems that I will have to agree with noog's method on this one, as I ended up using the original elastomer.

Thanks again to everybody who replied.

Zab.

ps: I think Tony_ire's method might have something to it also. I noticed that there were different points on the internal LCD/speaker frame which would not cause the screen to corrupt if pressed. I take it the idea is to stop the cover pressing on the 'bad' parts ( the screen worked fine with the cover off ).

Advertisement