Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vdsl

Options
  • 30-09-2002 4:05pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How much do you people in here know about VDSL?

With so much unlit Fibre Optic cables around the country do you think that the likes of VDSL could be a possibility? I'm not talking about in the near future as we'll be lucky to see ADSL country wide in the near future. With speeds of up to 52 Mbps it would be an amazing tool for online conferences etc.

I suppose though that when other countries are rolling this out(Some select areas of America have it already) we'll only finally be getting ADSL. If Bertie wants to fulfill his dream of every home in Ireland having a minimum of 2Mbps access within 2 years then maybe he should be looking at investing in VDSL.

For those of you who need more info on VDSL go HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This is only available West of the Shannon at the moment.

Ennis and Achill to be Precise .

Please read this document as it explains a LOT of technological possibilities in this country together with jargon etc etc.

Write to Dermot Ahern , Minister of Communications and ask him when VDSL will be extended to Dublin.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Muck
    Ennis and Achill to be Precise
    Those are just proof of concept rollouts. DSL has been in Ireland since at least 1998, so going by that lead time we might hope for VDSL some time around 2006. But I wouldn't put money on it.

Glass in the ground has never been our problem. Everyone has it. ESB, the gas people, ESAT, Eircom, and others all have miles and miles of it in the ground. And while they're tearing up our roads for Luas they should be putting in miles more. But nobody has any incentive to use it. Nobody is penalised for leaving the stuff idle.

The last mile is the problem. They're ripping us off at an impressive rate with a sub-standard service, getting away with it scot free, and quite happy to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by LFCFan
    .........do you think that the likes of VDSL could be a possibility?

Oh pleaseeeeeeee, the rest of us in our simple naivety aspire to getting wheels put on this fecking e-tub and along comes you talking about Porsches.

Shhhhhh, talk like that will scare "them" off altogether....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

VDSL requires fibre to the cabinets in the streets, the length of the loop is a max of 1km so unless you live on top of the exchange they'll need to run to run the fibre.

The main problem with VDSL is there isn't an official standard yet. Even so the proactive telcos should have at least one exchange VDSL enabled and should be testing it.

BTW I don't think it's over stepping the mark to be discussing VDSL. ADSL is going to be the ISDN of the western world soon... (and we'll still be using ISDN)

The report I linked mentions a veritable soup of DSL's of which VDSL is but one

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by LFCFan
    VDSL...I suppose though that when other countries are rolling this out we'll only finally be getting ADSL. If Bertie wants to fulfill his dream of every home in Ireland having a minimum of 2Mbps access within 2 years then maybe he should be looking at investing in VDSL.

This just requires a leap of imagination by the government.

Back in the early 1980's, Ireland had one of the worst telephone systems in the world (you youger guys here probably won't believe this but in 1980/81, we still used phones with hand winders like you see in films set in the early part of the century :)).

The then government made a massive investment in upgrading the system and because they were replacing virtually everything, within something like 5 years we had what was regarded as the best telephone system in Europe, if not the world.

The same applies to roads, 20 years ago, people in the South envied the great roads in the North, now it's the reverse situation.

Makes me wonder if instead of pushing for faster rollout of existing technology, we should be pushing for the 'big step' to the latest technology?

Martin

we got rid of the last crankme up in 1987, in Clare somewhere

we still had some analogue (mechanical exchanges) 2 years ago

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

A good point if they do go the ADSL route it will probably be dated by the time anyone in this country finaly gets it to joe public then in another 5 years we will be complaining that ADSL isnt up to the job.So it makes sense to build in a bit of future proofing considering the investment involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

The same applies to roads, 20 years ago, people in the South envied the great roads in the North, now it's the reverse situation.

You are telling us that there is a place on this earth where people envy the roads of the Republic of Ireland?

Holy crap. I've lived here 18 months and have never even been to the North or East coasts because its faster to get to France than drive to Donnegal (no, I'm not joking)

Photos of the cliffs there look lovely tho.

=================
    Just to aggrivate MDR
    Vote No to Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

And to think... Ennis only just beat Bray in the "technology town" competition :(

*sigh*

• Advertisement

The report I linked mentions a veritable soup of DSL's of which VDSL is but one

M

Had a look through that. I'd still say that VDSL is the most likely option of the higher bandwidth options.

I'd also like to know which genius in eircom decided to test VDSL in Ennis and Achill Island. Why don't they do these tests where someone might be able to properly test them... (eg Sandyford Industrial Estate, Citywest, East Point etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

In 1987, 30% of irish homes had tele-phones (long-distance audio device).

Irish roads are crap. They have ohmygod big hard shoulders, which is good, but they still only have one lane. And if you've ever tried using a major route in ireland in the last 5 or 6 years, you'll know it's not fun.

Northern Roads don't seem to believe in the concept of hard shoulders, which is a shame. But it doesn't matter, because they don't have nearly the volume of traffic on their major routes. And the M1 out of Belfast rocks.

You're right, slutmonkey, this is way off topic, I'll debate it with Canadian another day :)

Martin

Mrs O'Brien from Lettermore contacted Pat Kenny about Broadband earlier today. i think that Lettermore should be next for VDSL seeing as there is SDH fibre in Casla within 4 miles as the crow flies AND because she asked Pat for it

Citywest and East Point should go straight to fibre...there being much of it there already.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Way to stay on topic donegal....

They'll never trial tech solutions in useful areas where they might get used - then people would want to use them! Duh!

The reason Ennis was chosen and not Bray was: Ennis is miles from nowhere, its poulation is 90% thicko culchie who'll believe what they're told, and there's nobody with any practical use for the top end technologies, which means word of their superiority will never leak out, ergo they'll never need to be followed up on. In all the blurb for the e-town cr@p what did you hear? ISDN in every home! Free computers! And.... uuuh.. nothing else. If they'd put it in BRay you'd have the likes of Dell asking why it wasn't put there before and can they have more of it please. Also they could say to the tech companies: "Go to the bog where we've still got 30% unemployment - it's e-marvellous!"

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Point taken, slutmonkey, post erased :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b

They'll never trial tech solutions in useful areas where they might get used - then people would want to use them! Duh!

The reason Ennis was chosen and not Bray was: Ennis is miles from nowhere, its poulation is 90% thicko culchie who'll believe what they're told, and there's nobody with any practical use for the top end technologies, which means word of their superiority will never leak out, ergo they'll never need to be followed up on. In all the blurb for the e-town cr@p what did you hear? ISDN in every home! Free computers! And.... uuuh.. nothing else. If they'd put it in BRay you'd have the likes of Dell asking why it wasn't put there before and can they have more of it please. Also they could say to the tech companies: "Go to the bog where we've still got 30% unemployment - it's e-marvellous!"

You seem to know Ennis really well....

Citywest and East Point should go straight to fibre...there being much of it there already.

M

That's not the point, it's not a deployment - it's a test. The fact is that there are lots of people that will be able to test it to it's potential in these areas rather than someone out on Achill Island using it to check their email...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

As far as I im aware there is testing for wdsl at the moment in Dublin which will be possible in future for those to far from exachanges but still in the Line of site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

lol.
    Afaik Ennis got a PC into most homes, although each house had to pay around £250 tax on.

lol, ISDN, lol.
    We only got 33.6k modems, no isdn to be heard of in any homes.
    Schools got good setups, full room of computers on a 128k isdn line, projectors etc etc.
    Thats about it, dont believe anything about DSL being here since 1998.
    DSL wont be rolled out to the pubic until end of summer 2003.

And jesus christ.,
    stfu about why wasnt DSL put in dublin first.,
    You have had your trials and DSL will be around Dublin within the next few months ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Err, conz i know of two ppl that have ISDN provided by the info age thing. Also, adsl is commercially availible in Dublin, Vdsl is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Ennis not the best place but still better than nothing. Surely wireless broadband would be more appropriate in places like Achill etc?

<offtopic>

I know people from MOSCOW, I repeat MOSCOW, who think the road system even in Dublin, never mind the rest of the country, is a complete joke compared to what they have in Moscow

Not to mention a couple of South Africans I was talking to who can't believe how bad the health service is here, jaysus SOUTH AFRICANS FEELING SORRY FOR US!!!! :eek:

</offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Dustaz, there were only about 3 or four homes provided with ISDN in 1998 when Ennis won the IAT, and these homes were chosen as IA homes, and got a mad setup with ISDN, then aDSL, and now vDSL. The people who got these were interviewed on the telly a couple of times because of their IA status.

Advertisement