Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Will Win

• 30-09-2002 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I think Ireland have a major chance in the 2006 euro championship. Any one agree

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Now you see Gandalf, THIS is a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

First of all i give you a warm welcome to the Boards.ie family. Secondly the european championship is in 2004. I believe we have a great team with enormous potential. But, we need our best player back and a new manager in the team. if mcarthy continues with the type of formations he presented in the Russia match, we are in for a tough time.

Ideally i would like to see the first team looking like this.

1 Given
    2 Carr
    3 Harte
    4 O`shea
    5 Finnan
    6 Roy Keane
    7 Stephen Reid
    8 Colin Healy
    9 Morrisson
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Damien Duff

Subs:
    Dean Kiely
    Kenny Cunningham
    Holland
    Carsley
    Doherty
    Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Yes I agree about McCarthy. The fact that he is sticking so rigidly to tactics that served him well and not changing said tactics is making it very easy for the opposition to predict our style of play based on previous matches. Russia did an excellent job and because of this got a result.

The only time Mick mixed things up was by sending on Niall Quinn, which completely changed the way the team attacked (numerous examples, take your pick), leaving the oppositions defence to try and adapt from one playing style to something radically different.

As to whether Mick should stand down or be let go I'm not too sure. Introducing a new manager with new tactics can be destructive on a team, take leeds for example. Working with an old manager, someone that they know and work with on new tactics could be more beneficial in the long run. Or at least till after the euro 2004 champ.

As for Roy Keane's inclusion in the squad. I have a hell of a lot more sympathy for him after reading about the binge that the irish players went on in saipan. I'd love to see him in the team because he is a very talented player and great captain.(obviously...)

My two cents, which actually cost 8 cent due to the euro price rip-off...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

FFS Skippy - You just want people to agree with every post you put up!!! Have u a complex!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65095

But to discuss your point I would agree - we have a fantastic team of young players that should challenge well, still think that Keane needs to come back to give a bit of exp to the midfield but I would be hoping of a quater final +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Indeed if we qualify we have a good chance.
    The Irish always seem to do pretty ok in the finals no matter what happends to them. i thought with Roy Keane going that our world cup was over. (not only that he left but also the disruption etc)

If (when? :) ) we qualify id say a quarter final. Maybe a semi's if we are lucky.
    Its still a long way off tho and a lot can happen between now and 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by fisifan01
    Ideally i would like to see the first team looking like this.

1 Given
    2 Carr
    3 Harte
    4 O`shea
    5 Finnan
    6 Roy Keane
    7 Stephen Reid
    8 Colin Healy
    9 Morrisson
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Damien Duff

Your starting line up has only one central defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

i think some of you guys should start sending in your c.v's to the F.A.I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I think anybody with more then 2 months of championship manager experience should be mailing their cv's to the F.A.I.

Advertisement