Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching

• 30-09-2002 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey there folks

I am interested in teaching, thats not like to say its a hobby, but I would like to have a go at teaching chemistry. A mate reckons you dont need a teaching qualification to do this only a degree in the chosen subject ?

I was looking on the ASTI web site but found no info or no list of schools in the dublin area to apply to.

Firstly

1. do you need a teaching qualification to teach/sub teach

and

2. can any one point me in the direction of contact details for schools in the Dublin area

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AFAIK you need a post grad qualification called the higher diploma in Education to be considered for a full time teaching post in a secondary school.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if im wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It depends on the school. I know in my school there were teachers who just got a qualification in college (Art's or whatver) And were teaching us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by paddyc
    Firstly

1. do you need a teaching qualification to teach/sub teach

You only need a degree to sub teach, doesn't matter what type of degree it is either.

You need a HDip, as far as I know, to do full time teaching.
    You might just need to sit an exam for the dept of education though , I know you need to do this if you have a teaching qualification from another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

depends where you want to teach

Community School
    Degree required plus H. Dip in Education + Ceart Teastas

VEC
    Degree required + Ceart Teastas
    H. Dip in Education optional

Secondary School
    Degree required plus H. Dip in Education
    Ceart Teastas not sure

Private School
    I don't belive there are any requirment to teach in a private school

Primary School
    Degree in Primary Education ie St Pat Drumcondra or a 4 year degree in relevant subject such as Montessori

U can also do a conversion course form any degree to allow you to teach in primary.

Oh yeah at second level once u are teaching u can teach anything so u could have a degree in Swahali and teach honours maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You still need a H-Dip in Ed or Ceard Teastas to become a permanent Primary School Teacher also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement