Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd freezing problems

• 30-09-2002 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

some dvds feeze for about 3-4 minutes....any ideas
    lg dvd drive set as master to lg cd-recorder drive
    athlon xp 1800+
    1024mb ram
    geforce 2 ti

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What software player are you using?

Hardware seems fine. I assume you don't have a hardware DVD card with a nice PC spec like you have?

<obvious but necessary question>
    You're not doing a whole load of other things on your PC while watching a DVD are you?
    </obvious but necessary question>

Shouldn't make a difference but seems to: have you defragged your hard drive lately? If not, go do that first.

I've noticed a few DVD seize up on my machine from time to time - usually the same ones (fine on another machine) so probably the titles/player combo (The Big Sleep won't play at all on my main PC using the Creative player but plays fine on the laptop using PowerDVD 4, some other titles on a dual layer disc have problems)

Is it always at the same time on the same titles or more random?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

could be a problem with switching between layers

i had that problem with my pc after trying to fix it I just gave up and bought a cheap crown player from Power City and I havn't looked back yet. Multiregion and all that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Are you having any other freezing going on outside of dvd playing such as in games? Could simply be the gfx card overheating.. touch the core (use your psu to ground yourself 1st by holding your hand on it) while playing a dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

no...the problem happens in two dvds that i have, one i thought was a faulty copy so i ordered a second one only for the dvd to pause in exactly the same place, i since got another dvd{different artist} and it too pauses...neither of these discs have any visable blemishes....now, this morning i tried all three discs in my sons computer and the all pause in excatly the same way and same place, but when i tried them on a standalone {under the tv} dvd player they were all fine....i'm baffeled....is the laser more sinsivite in a dvd drive on a computer than a standalone player??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmmm what way do you have the devices configured on your ide channels, if possible try make the dvd drive the secondary master and see if that helps...unless it's already that way. What software are you using to play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

two hard drives on primary ide
    dvd master, cd-rw slave on secondary ide
    power dvd 4.0 xp
    media player 9
    free dvd
    ...symptoms exactly same on all three software players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...If I play a video DVD, it always falls over at about 25 minutes into the move - mad MPEG artefacts, choppy sound the works. Oddly, if I skip to the next scene, it's fine again; it'll keep going for another 25 minutes or so before falling over.

However, this drive also makes some pretty unhealthy sounding clunking noises from time to time, so I suspect it may actually be a hardware problem with the transport mechanism (or a serious firmware problem - however, I've yet to find a firmware update for it).

I'm simply replacing my drive - it's doing my head in. Looking seriously at the NEC DV5800B drive on komplett - it's actually a rebadged LiteOn LTD163, so it should be a piece of cake to sort out the hardware region protection... plus it's just under 60 yoyos.

Gadget

Advertisement