Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Irish-developed 3D Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Lets hope you dont screw it up by putting the letters "ire" or "eire" in the title. Im as patriotic as the next guy, but they seem a bit.... tacky.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Lets hope you dont screw it up by putting the letters "ire" or "eire" in the title. Im as patriotic as the next guy, but they seem a bit.... tacky.

Matt

I hate to point out that since we live in Ireland or Éire then i can't quite see how that would be tacky. It' not quite the same as going around in a pair of union jack shorts, which is damn tacky.

I met Malachy there in London recently very nice bloke if you could get him to shut up for a second :D

Lol, looking at whats in you sig I see there is no point in discussing this with you.

Dictionary.com sums what I mean by tacky in relation to "ire" and "eire" based words:

- Lacking style or good taste; tawdry: tacky clothes.

Well, sure, I will anyway:
    Sorry, I just how I feel after growing up in a country surrounded by tricolors, green crap, paddys day, "fun" green sized hats and leprechans and those god aweful "eire" words. You see something that much and then it becomes "lacking of style".... aka tacky.

Malachy, the game looks cool, my comments werent meant as a reflection of your work.

Matt

Messing with the game there malachy, nice physics indeed.
    For some reason the sound kept repeating a "whistling" noise repeatedly.

The game kinda reminds me of a 3D version of "The Incredible Machine"... which is a good thing! :D

Matt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Eire is the really name for the Irish State (also known as Ireland or the Republic of Ireland)

So its fine using the name The Irish Gamer, Irish Player, and (maybe its not for other reasons) GameIreland

But not Gamire or Gameire, Why not?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Lol, looking at whats in you sig I see there is no point in discussing this with you.

Dictionary.com sums what I mean by tacky in relation to "ire" and "eire" based words:

- Lacking style or good taste; tawdry: tacky clothes.

Well, sure, I will anyway:
    Sorry, I just how I feel after growing up in a country surrounded by tricolors, green crap, paddys day, "fun" green sized hats and leprechans and those god aweful "eire" words. You see something that much and then it becomes "lacking of style".... aka tacky.
    Matt

I'm fully aware what tacky means, just don't really know what you are trying to say. If you want to talk about St Paddies Day 1985, yeah that was tacky. But to be honest I haven't come across that kind of tackiness in many moons. If you're somehow embarassed to be Irish well that's your problem, I'm certainly not.

If you can explain exactly where this happens: "tricolors, green crap, paddys day, "fun" green sized hats and leprechans and those god aweful "eire" words". But it doesn't happen around my way and I'm not aware of any god awful Eire words so you'll have to explain there too. Maybe your parents dressed you up in aran jumpers and green cloth caps when you were young and now you are resentful.

You could have at least started a new thread somewhere else, this thread was about a game was it not?

Well, since you wanted to understand:

Green shirts and assorted ****e are worn by nearly every little scumbag I see. Everytime a sporting event that contains even a trace of Irishness occurs said scumbags parage around in stupid over sized hats with the tricolour on it. Occassionly, when they get drunk and fall around the street they do the same.

There are assorted pissant startups with names with Eire in them... your telling me you have never seen Eire or Ire stuck to the end of an English word?? I find that amazing.. as its so clichéd...

Id thought Id have some fun seeing just how many "Eire" companies I could find within 15min while I await a download:

Eire Communications in Galway, most of the West
    Eire Cabs, Co. Cork
    Eire Cafe, Galway
    Eire Caife Teo, also in Galway
    Eire Credit Union, Dublin
    Eire Golf Ireland, Kerry (you must love than one, Eire and Ireland!)
    Eire Multimedia (Meath)
    Eire OG C.L.G. (Carlow)
    Eire Og GAA Club (Many places)
    Eire Og Nenagh (Co Tipp.)
    Eire Tig Mobile Home Transport (Kildare)
    Eire Web Solutions (Kildare)
    Eireann Healthcare Publications (Dublin)
    Eireann International Finance Brokers (Dublin)
    Eirebus Ltd (Dublin)
    Eirecopter Helicopters Ltd (Kildare)
    Eirelec Ltd (Louth)
    Eirespan ltd (Dublin)
    Eireventure Paragliding School (Cork)

Then we move onto the really cool, Tech companies, the E way:

http://www.shee-eire.com/ (down, some crap guide to Ireland)
    www.eire-webdesign.com
    www.eire-taxi.com/
    www.eire-golf-tours.com/
    www.eire-tours.com/
    www.trade-eire.com/
    www.eire-property-links.com/
    www.delmar-eire.com
    eire.free.fr
    (no need to mention a certain Irish game site...)

At this point the time was up, but the list could no doubt be 10x that size.

I value originality and ingenuity.. "Eire" is so damn trite.

But perhaps Im wrong, perhaps there is room for just one more Eire spinoff?

Matt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

So, is Radio Telefís Éireann or Bus Éireann a spin off?

What’s wrong with the Irish word for Ireland?

Eire = Ireland <so> Ireland = tacky? Is this what you’re saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CafeMila

The whole Eire/Ire/Celtic tiger thing is so unbelievably cliché. RTE and CIE, Bus Eireann etc. we started years ago, when Irish was a language that the govt. tried to encourage for everything, and the EU didn't exist, and lot more of us used of it a lot more. I really think people have got a nerve to even associate the word Eire to something with any sort of English, even Google make the effort to put the Irish language in.

The leprechan, the huge green hats, the rasta hats with tricolours etc is not something we should accept and be proud of, THAT'S NOT MY ****ING HERITAGE! It's a fad, and a very very tacky one indeed, maybe you think it's cool to go around wearing your Italia 90 t-shirts, and your USA 94 caps. I dont.

Just like the idea of hundreds of start ups are using the Eire/Ireland thing. The .ie extension is enough to let people know where you are, beyond that what's the function of the word Eire or Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Grow up? You have just ruined a perfectly decent thread which may now be locked or deleted.

malachyduffin the game looks nice but Im in work so I can't download it. Ill have a look at it later when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Whats new since the original version, Mal? Any nice new features?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

can we get kittens in it?

Sorry Malachi... I may not have started the off topicness but I certainly encouraged it. Keep up the good work. Actually I'll be talking to you soon about that email I sent you.

(P.S. I'm still not sure where this magical place of paddywackery is, maybe in the 1980's but it's very minor now. I think some of you are embarrassed of your culture, move to Britain is my suggestion)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by meglome
    (P.S. I'm still not sure where this magical place of paddywackery is, maybe in the 1980's but it's very minor now. I think some of you are embarrassed of your culture, move to Britain is my suggestion)

Just had to get the last word in, huh? Get over it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Back on topic or I'll get the smacking-stick out.

Take it to politics or humanities.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 malachyduffin

Hiya all!

This thread definitely got pretty busy! CanDo Eire Games For Paddy.ie will be releasing Episode 2 next month! ;)

Hopefully everyone is enjoying playing the game, and feel free to play some of our other small 3D web games at...

http://www.candomultimedia.com/games/demos.htm

Feel free to eMail your mates the URL above to let them know where they can waste some quality time during work hours! :)

Mal

Advertisement