Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen VS Guns N'Roses!

• 30-09-2002 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Queen Versus Guns N' Roses

Gun N' Roses may have preferred a heavier rock than Queen but they still had some comparable songs e.g. Queen had their Bohemian Rhapsody and Gun N' Roses had their November Rain to brilliant songs, but overall they were essentially two great rock bands, what I want to know is which one do YOU prefer!

Who do you prefer Queen or Guns N' Roses? 32 votes

Queen
    0% 0 votes
    Guns N' Roses
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Apples & Oranges.

Queen and Gn'R were two completely different styles of rock.

Gn'R were "sex-drugs-and rock and roll, high-octane" stuff

Queen could be, I suppose, described as being "grand rock" if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Lemming
    Apples & Oranges.

agreed, but if i HAD to choose, i would choose Queen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 **/<::ë::/\/**

I knew that the difference between Queen and G n' R wud be brought up!

All i want 2 see is if people HAD 2 make a choice between the 2 bands who wud they pick!

Im just curious.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

neeewbie.
    Would have to be GNR, dirty sex ridden rock!!
    Queen were different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

How dare you make me choose between them! You have been put in a really bad position!

But I picked GN'R as they are by current most loved band ever. But back when I was a kid from the age 4 -12 I was a huge Queen fan.

But seriously, they're just uncomparable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Queen are better, and they don't have a guitarist who wears a KFC bucket on his head, which is always a bonus.

Listen, I saw the New GN'R in London in August, and I'm telling you, Buckethead was absolutely phenominal(spelling?). I haven't seen anything like him.

I promise you when the New material comes out and people see Buckethead a bit more, they will be stunned at his guitar playing. He is an amazing talent. So don't be bullsh1tting about him/her/it. I predict this guy is going to be big, even without Axl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That may be so, but the man wears a KFC bucket. On his head.

I just found this:
    Buckethead is the masked, inverted KFC bucket wearing, "mutant guitar virtuoso" that stunned audiences during Primus's set at OzzFest '99, toured the world with Praxis and GN'R, and graced many a movie soundtrack/score. There has been much speculation as to the identity of Buckethead. He was raised in a chicken coop by chickens. And possibly due to the unusual circumstances surrounding his upbringing, he is a very private person. He doesn't grant many interviews, and shuns most conventional means of contact. The mask and bucket add an eerie air of mystery to his activities and serve as a harbinger for his otherworldly musical stylings and sensibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Two completely different bands...

...But I chose Queen. Never really cared for GnR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Oeneus
    I promise you when the New material comes out and people see Buckethead a bit more, they will be stunned at his guitar playing. He is an amazing talent. So don't be bullsh1tting about him/her/it. I predict this guy is going to be big, even without Axl!

GnR is not GnR without Slash. Axl & Slash WERE Guns N'Roses. You need both of them to make it live up to the name. Buckethead may be good, he may be damn good in fact .. but he's not Slash.

I don't want to sound like some "purist", but that's simply what made GnR - that love/hate relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I voted Queen.

What can I say? Great childhood memories.

*sob*

The squirrel made off my my teddy. :(

Ah, anyway. I can see this being a bit of a rivalry thread. But I'm gonna take sides and agree with Lemming. Slash & Axl *ARE* Guns N' Roses. But I was never really mad on them. My Appitite For Destruction tape is floating about somewhere in the attic, being torn open for rat bedding. Never bothered to get it on CD again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

nekked bible man-thanks, that was the funneist thing ive read all day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

Voted for G`NR. Frankly i think Queen are one of the most Overrated bands of all time ,imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 **/<::ë::/\/**

Why has only 19 people voted?

**/<::ë::/\/**

Gone Shootin, would you like to know why that Google fight is inaccurate?

Because the search for "Queen" is going to bring up a lot of results that aren't related to the band "Queen". For example, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of hearts, Queen of Spades, and of course probably the most common, Dragqueen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Guns N' Roses for me. i was never really into Queen all that much but they had a few songs i liked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

GnR is not GnR without Slash. Axl & Slash WERE Guns N'Roses. You need both of them to make it live up to the name. Buckethead may be good, he may be damn good in fact .. but he's not Slash.

I don't want to sound like some "purist", but that's simply what made GnR - that love/hate relationship.

I agree with this view. I think buckethead is extremely fast, but I still don't think he matches Slash in the slightest. He also takes away from the GNR image, as far as I'm concerned.... and I think Axl's voice is gone, but they were still far better than Queen.... although, yes, they are 2 completely different styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

http://www.googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compare.pl?q1=Guns+N+roses+n%27&q2=queen+-Victoria+-I+-Elizabeth+-II+-hearts+-Spades+-Dragqueen&B1=I%27m+Feeling+Groggy%21%21+Go%21&compare=1&langue=us ... cant say im the biggest queen fan in the world ..but the two bands are like chalk and cheese... and i dont like the 'new' Guns N' Roses .

GNR is dead and buried,whats there like 2 original members left.. is dizzy playing keyboards or something ? Its more like Axl + hired guns. The new tunes dont sound like something 'Guns N' Roses' would create,it sounds very 'Axl'. As for Mr BucketHead..intresting maybe he likes the smell of fried chicken.. ! Hell if he wanted to look realy strange he could grow a big ass mop of hair along the lines of 'Cousin It' with a perm and get himself a huge mother****er of a top hat..

In summary : Silly Poll,New GnR aint as good as old GnR,Buckethead most likely smells and tastes 'Finger Licking Good !',and Slash looks like cartoon character.

nem

• Advertisement

This is the problem with you lot! You are all looking at it as still being GN'R and therefore still comparing them with the old guys, then thinking "Oh it's completely different therefore it's crap!"

Of course it's a completely different band! Try and not to see them as GN'R. Try and see it as Axl's solo project. And I tell you, "Axl's solo project" is one of the most amazing things I've heard in ages, primarily due to Buckethead. I predict this band are going to be fuccking huge!

Don't judge them until the new album comes out, and if you get the chance, go see them live. I saw them and it was ****ing amazing, partly because it wasn't anything like the shows back when the Illusions tour was going on. It's all completely new...and brilliant!

I was as iffy about the New GN'R as you lot are now until I saw them live! I also saw a bootleg of the Rock In Rio 2001 show that they did and that show just doesn't do the new band justice. But a year later a lot has changed!

And...http://www.googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compare.pl?q1=Guns+N%27+Roses&q2=Freddie+Mercury&B1=I%27m+Feeling+Groggy%21%21+Go%21&compare=1&langue=us

This is the problem with you lot! You are all looking at it as still being GN'R and therefore still comparing them with the old guys, then thinking "Oh it's completely different therefore it's crap!"

Of course it's a completely different band! Try and not to see them as GN'R. Try and see it as Axl's solo project. And I tell you, "Axl's solo project" is one of the most amazing things I've heard in ages, primarily due to Buckethead. I predict this band are going to be fuccking huge!

I wouldn't see it as Guns N Roses if he'd changed the name. It's not Guns N Roses, you're right, it's Axl's solo project, so he sholdn't have kept the Guns N Roses name. That's my point.

I'm looking forward to the new album, as so far it sounds interesting. However, anything I've heard so far, including their live renditions of old Guns N Roses tunes isn't as good as the old version.

So in summary, they're not GNR, never will be, and won't live up to any of GNR's stuff, but it may well be a worthwhile solo project for Axl.

But think of it this way. If you had the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses", would you use it? I would. Think about how much more successful the promotion and album sales will be just because it has the name GN'R on it.

Plus, it's wrong to say GN'R is not GN'R without Slash etc.

Right after Traci Guns left GN'R it was no longer GN'R. That's where the whole Guns thing came from. So to be completely honest...making a fuss about the name is just totally pointless and time wasting.

Just go with the flow and quit all this Axl bashing. He's doing a good job and his new band are going to kick all the asses of all the crap band that are being played on Kerrang and so on!

But think of it this way. If you had the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses", would you use it? I would. Think about how much more successful the promotion and album sales will be just because it has the name GN'R on it.

Plus, it's wrong to say GN'R is not GN'R without Slash etc.

Right after Traci Guns left GN'R it was no longer GN'R. That's where the whole Guns thing came from. So to be completely honest...making a fuss about the name is just totally pointless and time wasting.

Just go with the flow and quit all this Axl bashing. He's doing a good job and his new band are going to kick all the asses of all the crap band that are being played on Kerrang and so on!

To me, and to most other fans, Guns N Roses, was the days of Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven Adler\Matt Sorum. That was the height of their fame, and their best music came from this era.

Axl's would be the main man for staying real, and if he's holding on to the name in hopes of better sales, then he's not exactly being true to his music\band. They'll never be GNR for me again, but as I said I look forward to hearing Axl's new stuff.

However, judging the performances I've heard I think his voice is gone. Maybe it's the bootlegs, maybe not, but the close of the VMA's was bad, and the bootlegs from London and Leeds sound terrible, but as I said I won't write Axl and his band off untiol I've heard the new album properly.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    and the bootlegs from London and Leeds sound terrible...

You should of fuccking been there. You missed out! You would have been impressed. Although I personally thought Robin Finck sucked. He did some really **** guitar solos. We were all like "Fucck off and get Buckethead to do some more freaky guitar stuff! You bore me!"

You should of fuccking been there. You missed out! You would have been impressed. Although I personally thought Robin Finck sucked. He did some really **** guitar solos. We were all like "Fucck off and get Buckethead to do some more freaky guitar stuff! You bore me!"

Admittedly, I saw a top quality mpeg of Madagascar at Leeds and his singing, although weaker than his younger years, was top notch. I'll get the album when it's out, and I'll pass judgement then.

Doesn't look like they're gonna come to Dublin does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

must say I would argue the GnR is not GnR with Izzy,Slash and Axl. Izzy wrote the best riffs in GnR. Check out the credits on Use your illusion and their interviews. The man was a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

T

However, judging the performances I've heard I think his voice is gone. Maybe it's the bootlegs, maybe not, but the close of the VMA's was bad, and the bootlegs from London and Leeds sound terrible, but as I said I won't write Axl and his band off untiol I've heard the new album properly.

Having been at the Leeds festival I thought they played quite well. All the guys were very professional and seriously good musicians (Buckedhead esp). However when it came to the newer songs I wasnt too impressed. They sounded more like November Rain type ballads than the rip-roaring Nightrainesque songs GnR were great for....

Doesn't look like they're gonna come to Dublin does it?

You'll never know. They did Slane 10 years ago. If they do come I can garantee they'll be late! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

that was gnr not the new gnr (missing slash, matt, duff and izzy)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement