Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning remotes

Options
  • 30-09-2002 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

or more specifically the philips pronto..

Just how good are these?

Could they replace say an infra-red keyboard (see my thread on winamp plugins on Technology for the reasoning..).. so that I could assign a macro on the remote to a series of keyboard commands?

I know the majority of these type of remotes have their own receiver you point the remote you want to copy at and it will detect the signal.. so technically it should work.. just need to make sure :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

One word for these. Brilliant. They can control anything infra red.
    I have had mine for about 1yr and a half and don't know what I'd do without it. I had mine controlling Power DVD by assigning keypress's to it and it worked fine.

You can program it yourself or download custom made templates complete with infra red codes. Some of these are really well made.
    Look here for the most popular http://www.remotecentral.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Kali I dont know about replacing an infra red keyboard but the Marantz RC1200 is excellent. I have it about a year and it has replaced all my remotes (about 11). It has the usual facility for learning remote codes and also can use macros - so say I press DVD on my remote for 3 secs it turns on the DVD player, presses play, sets my tv to AV, turns on my amp, sets the volume and sets the sound field to auto. Best thing is it only cost me €80 from richersounds. You can view it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Personally I was looking at the marantz rc5000, as I can pick up a second-hand one for $130..

Anyway a few sites later (cheers mr cheese :) ) I've discovered they can happily replace IR-keyboards and will control PCs grand, so as soon as this months cheque comes in... its time for a good week of programming the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I got a learning remote with my home cinema system ... what a heap of $hite it is (AXD7265, came with my Pioneer NS-DV55) .. there are way too many buttons (some are minescule) and any time you press a button all the buttons light up for a couple of seconds and it makes a high pitch hum (kind of like a mosquito) .. cool at the start, but after a short while it gets on your nerves ....

I am still trying to convince myself that buying a different learning remote is worth it (Pronto or similar).. and more to the point I have to justify the purchase with "she who must be obeyed" ...:(

Advertisement