Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing research for a book - need your help

Options
  • 30-09-2002 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have been trying to obtain information regarding the Shankill butchers in Ireland. Nothing of this has been in the press in other nations which is a crime in itself. I empathize that it's a sensitive subject. I can promise every respect would be given to the subject matter and to the people offering to share their story.

It's not the main focal point to the book, only a tiny thread. I would at least prefer to be accurate with the information. Two characters in the book have been butchered, but the mystery is who did it. When it's discovered there is outside involvement the search takes on new meaning.

I'm not looking for any argument. The book is not about Ireland's political fight for freedom. I don't appreciate being accused of causing trouble when it's up to the individual as to whether or not they choose to share details regarding the butchering of innocent people. The information can come from news papers that we don't get in North America.

I would like to offer condolences to those who have lost loved ones. If you prefer to contact me privately please do so.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You should try the books by Peter Taylor dealing with the North. Particulrly: Loyalists, as this deals with the pro-union terroists. His iother books are Republicans and Brits as far as I can recall. And I think they've all (or maybe just some) been made into BBC documentaries of the same name

Best o luck trying to make sense of that mess of politics, crime, paranoia, bigotry on all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

There's been quite a few books (try Google or/and Amozon) on the Shankhill butchers (can't name them off the top of my head). Have a look at the references in those books that may put you on the right track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IndiaSkye

I'd like to thank Borzoi and Pho1 for responding to my plea for some direction on this touchy subject. Will look for both books and through google.

Advertisement