Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem noise

• 30-09-2002 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks when I am dialing up for the net, the modem dialing would wajke the dead, any way in the control panel to turn this down ????

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Turn the modem speaker off. It's in your modem properties.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

that ain't gonna work if the speakers on the modem itself.. in which case open the machine up and bash the speaker with a hammer... or just put a big blob of blue tack on top of it (used to work grand with old pc speakers)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

when i had my internal modems i used to just leave my broken headphones dangling from the headphone socket... but on my newer external 56k i opened it up and stuck sellotape over the speaker.. Havent heard a modem dialing up for a -long- time though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I silenced the built-in speaker on my Intel HaM modem under Windows 2000 by Accessing the 'Phone and Modem options' Control panel, selceting my modem on the 'Modems' tab, clicking 'Properties' and reducing the Volume slider to 'Off' on the 'General' Tab.

For external modems, the speaker can be switched off by using HAYES AT commands (all modems are HAYES compatible). Simply enter the following in your 'dialling rules' and the speaker will switch off each time the modem dials.

&ATL0 Will set the speaker to the lowest volume setting (in case you want to hear the handshaking, but don't want to wake the house).

&ATM0 Will switch that bad boy off.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You can officially claim to be an old fart when you remember issuing HAYES command to prep your modem before dialling ;-)

Advertisement