Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Ray

Options
  • 01-10-2002 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

As most of you know, there were no metered charges for local calls in Ireland as recently as 1991 (see here).

The idea of time-charging local calls appeared on the agenda around 1990/91, and I don't remember anyone outside of TE thinking it was a good idea or seeing the need for it. To quote Toddy O'Sullivan TD in the Dail, 27th Feb 1991:

"Bord Telecom are a successful profitable company and the speculated charge increases will further increase this profitability. It has been suggested that the projected profits for Telecom Éireann in 1991 will be in the region of £100 million." "Telecom should not introduce a differential tariff structure for local calls [i.e. metered calls]. This is a policy which a private operator would adopt. We must bear in mind that Telecom Éireann is not a private entity, it was created for the Irish people by the taxpayer and they should reap the benefits."

But lo and behold, Telecom Eireann received ministerial approval and introduced metered charging a few weeks later.

And guess who the Minister for Communications was from 12th July 1989 to 6th February 1991 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Hmm, I wonder how much it was worth? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

check the following.. Here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

....is the fact that we stood back and let it happen. Something this country has been guilty of since time began. Apathy! Going from 11p for as long as you wanted on a local call to 11p for every 15 minutes was scandalous. The increase can't be quantified with a percentage, yet the gullible Irish public bent over and took it all no matter how painful. With the advent of the Internet though we have a great way of grouping together people of similar interest to actually do something about the way we are getting treated. I just wish more people were turned on in the Technology debate and wanted more done about the disgraceful situation we find ourselves in in the 21st Century.

Advertisement