Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognised courses and training

Options
  • 01-10-2002 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, can anyone recommend various websites/organisations that provide cheap, but recognised qualifications in the webmaster, web development areas? And please no suggestion of ecdl, I visited their abomination of a website, and guess what it sucks and doesnt work (doesnt instill a whole lot of confidence in an organisation whose own work is very shoddy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

ecdl has nothing to with Web Design - I dunno who even could think they/the course includes Web Design content!

I've looked around myself for various qualifications in Web Design - they don't exist - a body needs to be setup for this that all training centres work to the same course content!

The course I have seen are expensive and last a few days - just look around using www.google.ie or www.doras.ie - but be prepared to spend for it!

Also - check nightcourses.com - Irish website for all types of courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

http://www.iactonline.com/iact/courses/coursesDB.asp

they do courses, their in stephens green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 afdarcy

Just looked at the IACT webpage - €1995 for a 10-day course? Though it seems to be the norm with these training courses - I suppose they get most of their revenue from corporate-sponsored training.

I've been looking into something similar, and I think my best bet is actually FAS. They run online courses at FAS NetCollege. The Certified Internet Webmaster courses are available for €120 a go, including the exam fee. You don't have to be on the dole to sign up, I think the only restriction is you can only sign up for 5 courses per year.

I'd like to know what people in the biz think of CIW as a qualification though.

AD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As is probably obvious a lot of the courses available are aimed at the corporate market.

The FAS courses sound interesting, though the graduates of their long courses are a very mixed bunch. Some are excellent, some are terrible.

There are a number of other certifications available that seem quite good. Macromedia offer a wide range, as do a lot of the other software and hardware companies.
    More independent options include BrainBench, though whether employers pay any attention to them is a different matter.

If I was going to employ somebody to develop for us, or for our clients I would be a lot more interested in looking at their past work and testing their real skills, rather than relying on a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

I done a course in the "New Media Technology Training" center just on Harcourt Street. It was a small place with only about 6 or seven in the class. They do different levels of skills also from basic HTML to Dreamweaver and other Macromedia programs. It was about €500 for an 8 week part time course. Learned about HTML but didn't derive great value from it.

To be avoided...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Quick search of CAO.ie revealed:

Institute of Technology, Sligo
    SG145 B.Sc. in Computing in Web Development - DEGREE

Dunno if its web design in there however...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by afdarcy
    I've been looking into something similar, and I think my best bet is actually FAS. They run online courses at FAS NetCollege. The Certified Internet Webmaster courses are available for €120 a go, including the exam fee.

I signed up for the CIW E-commerce course but am waiting to get signed up to netsmart before getting really stuck into it.
    I'd like to know what people in the biz think of CIW as a qualification though.

Would love to know that as well. It's internationally recognised anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Last Year I completed a Cert in New Media Project management.

This is a FAS run course. I done it in the Arthouse, Temple Bar, Dublin. The Arthouse is closed now but FAS must be running it somewhere. I think they had one in Cork as well. (FAS courses pay u as well) 4 months training & 2 months work placement. They also ran a creative design course as well

Anyway, Previously i had just experience of own personnel website. My previous qualification was in another field entirely. They course gave an introduction to Dreamweaver, Photoshop, dirctor , Flash and other packages. Although some people found it slow, I really got into it and was never bored. They had good project work and lecturers were approachable. They also really knew their stuff I found that what ever you put into it you got out of it. Most importantly they stuff you learned was practical as the teachers were working in the industry. (many had actually completed the course years before)

Some people basically complained for a few months and got FA out of it. (hey, you climb Mount Everest and you meet a couple of bitches giving out about the cold!)

The course bacically gives you a taste of what you might be interested in. They also try and give you work placement.

I managed to get a 9 month contract which was good experience. The boss a wanker, but hey, whattaya gonna do.Now working freelance and getting by.

Hope this helps. Go to your local FAS office and see what they say. They should push u in right direction

Peace Y'all

MotM

Advertisement