Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Nt Server / Windows Xp

• 01-10-2002 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Help me, I waited and waited for service pack 1 to come out for windows xp professional. It did and it still doesnt help me with my xp/nt problem.

Recently we purchased 8 copies of windows xp pro. We kept our nt4 server and just upgraded the pcs, now the pcs hang for up to five minutes everytime we use a network resource. Some one told me it was an issue with the xps all thinking there the main domain, how true this is i dont know. Any Any Advice, Im a broken man from this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

now the pcs hang for up to five minutes everytime we use a network resource

I'm using xp pro on a network with a NT domain controller

I did experience a problem like you are talking
    Basically the problem was that there was an old server name that the network was holding on to (It was a test PDC which was put on the network for a few minutes by mistake)
    everytime a network resourse was accessed it went looking for this server but couldn't find it (It didn't give up, it kept looking like a lost soul)

When identifyed we were able to do a registry edit and delete all reference to the server, he presto problem gone.

This may ring a bell ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep if you have a linux box around the office try and run netwatch or even better tcpdump.. itll show you whats happening and where packets are being sent, its the easiest way to find out if theres a rogue dns/wins server trying to be accessed by clients..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭coupe 02

went into server manager and saw another "backup" server added, now im left with an nt4 primary server and nt5.1 workstations cant seem to track the backup in regedit am i way off the beaten track or have i done what you done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

You say "another" BDC. Do you have 2 backup domain controllers showing under Server Manager and what should you physically have. Your Nt5.1 ws are of course the XP Pro Workstations.

heres where im at

in server manager all i have is the

WDG - nt4.0 primary domain
    user 1
    user 2
    user 3
    "
    user 8 - nt5.1 workstations

thats it, there is no backup domain etc.
    The only box's in the office is the d-link printer server.

By deleting the pcpro backup domain, the pc's seem to hang less now, there is still the infrequent one, It still takes at least ten miuntes to log on to the domain, it only takes 3 or 4 secs to log on to the local and access the domain through the network drive.

I still cant seem to fix the logging on problem and it still hangs!!

Anyone?? tanx for the help so far, ill get to keep my job for another week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you should tombstone the 'ghostly' server in Wins on the nt server,

then stop and start the wins service in the control panel and then try to log on from an xp box

stops the browsing from hanging, cleaner than registry hacks.

M

still cant log in without a ten minute delay

Can you have a look in your app event logs and see if you've got any 1054 errors or anything else unusual. Have a funny feeling this could be a DNS problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

It this was a 2000 server, it would be a DNS problem. To sort it out in 2000, I would first off, make sure DNS is working on the server, then in TCP/IP of the workstations, I would put in for DNS, the IP address of the server.

I had this problem when i was learning 2000, as soon as I pointed the workstations DNS settings to the server, it was fine

[EDIT], also, check out the Hosts files on the workstations.. you could try force the workstations to see the domain and the server to log onto

the only thing unusual is a time difference error, its saying the time difference is to great, after that its just random netlogon failures, or automatic dialup failures

• Advertisement

can you upload or attach your system log ?

can you upload or attach your system log ?

EG, you can save your app log to your desktop and upload it to here using the attach box

I'm pretty sure its dns problem, XP uses DNS a LOT more than 2000

10.0.0.1 servername #PRE #DOM:ALPHA
    10.0.0.1 "ALPHA \0x1b" #PRE

That is a hosts file that tells the workstation where and what domain to log onto.... 'Log onto server "servername" that has an IP of 10.0.0.1 and log onto the domain "alpha"

I use this hosts file to log 2000 machines to a NT network over a router. It should work for you on a LAn iswell

just save it as a 'hosts' file within Notepad... no extentions into the
    C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc folder. I'm not sure XP has the same folder structure or not, but see Help in XP to make sure its the right location

Just out of curiosity, does your XP machines have any DNS settings at all? and is there any NT4 workstations or 98 machines having any problems logging on?

here is server

heres just a bit of my own pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

01/10/02,14:31:10,BROWSER,Information,None,8015,N/A,Server Name Here,

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_El90x1 because a Windows NT Server (or domain master) browser is started.

Are you sure there is only one Domain Controller there. Browser elections occur when they find each other and nmot because of legacies in WINS

What does the Program Files/Admin Tools/Server Manager show?

1 or 2 domain controllers...esp pdc bdc 's , 2 pdcs even worse?

What does the Program Files/Admin Tools/Wins Magers show?

can you tombstone the one that ain't there or is it not there and in server manager, will it let you?

As long as there are 'Master Browser (IE Primary Domain Controller) elections' the XP problem is a feature and not a bug.

M

hehe, thx for that but it would be easier to read in *.evt format. If you go into event viewer and right click on the 'system log, save log file as'... *.evt

cant upload evt's

wins manager just has "walshdesign" a.k.a the server
    and server manager has the same "walshdesign" and user pcs

you could try using the hosts file on one of the xp workstation machines, see if it makes any difference, also, is the server mutilhomed?

Multihomed servers can create unexpected and undesirable effects with the browser service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

XP has in built caching for logons its an dns / NS Lookup problem (hosts) as ando correctly pointed out. Run nslookup on the winxp systems check out response times to the server using ping . make sure you can ping the localhost on the xp server etc and see who can talk to whom etc. Slow login is caused by not knowing where to go. Be sure DNS and DHCP is configured okay. Use nslookup to verify these. Use the switches associated with nslookup and ull eventually work out the problem. If you cant solve the issue manually insert the correct gateway on the systems and throw the ip into the hosts file. This is only to be used as a temporary measure until u solve the nslookup issue. which u can test until u do etc etc...

i dont have any dns settings filled in for the pc's, i have assigned them static ip address.

tcp/ip settings

ip address : 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    default gateway : 192.168.0.1

use following dns server

preferred : blank
    alternate : blank

in advanced

ip settings
    ip address : as above
    subnet: above

def gateways
    as above
    metric - automatic

dns settings
    all blank bar
    ticked - append primary and connection specific dns suffixes
    ticked - append parent suffixes of the primary dns suffix
    register this connections addresses in dns

wins

all blank bar
    enable lmhosts lookup
    netbios setting is ticked to default

options
    tcp/ip filtering

I could be totally wrong on this, but in line with the comments above please try the following on one of the XP workstations.

In %system root%\system32\drivers\etc you should find a hosts file and a networks file.

In hosts file add the server ip and name as in

192.168.0.1 server01

In the networks file add the domain IP and domain name as in

192.168.0 walshdesign

Also under advanced settings in TCP/IP in your network settings uncheck the "register this connection’s address in DNS" box.

You obviously need to change the IP's, machine name and domain name to match you LAN, but you get the idea.

Give us an ipconfig /all if u can. Try to ping the server by its hostname. Then try by its ip name use ping -a (IP ADDR) then repeat the process on the server. Then as stated below insert all details required for hosts file. U sure you dont have a loopback adapter thats not pointing to itself. Those systems on the web? How etc.. ipconfig /all from either server and one of the systems if possible and we shall all have a look!

i expect the system u listed as 192.168.0.1 is the server?

do this to troubleshoot the problem on each system perform the following.

ping localhost
    ping by ip
    ping server name
    ping by ip serv
    ping -a by ip serv

repeat on other systems. looking at the below how are you performing name resolution on network?

stop the browser service also i once seen undesirable effects in a standalone enviro between a nt4 box and w2k box whereby browser services kept arguing for control of network. net stop browser on all the xp clients...

Occidental Ando Take A Bow

i used your host file ando, and occidental i unchecked the "register this connection’s address in DNS" box.

It Worked, It F*&()in Worked, Im So happy,
    Im ecstatic whoooo waaaaaa

To anyone who gave me advise here if they ever want qoutes for pc stuff ill more than oblige, i buy wholsale computer equip and will sort ya out if your looking for a price. colin@wdg.ie

regards
    one happy fu84@er

premature, i was very premature

when i logoff locally and on to domain it goes in instant, access network instantly, but when i reboot the pc and start fresh it hangs for 5 mins, then it hangs for a further two mins opening a mapped netwrok drive, once it opens mapped drive it then works fine, if i re-log in it does it instant, and logs onto mapped drive in an instant.

as said i replaced the hosts file it now reads

192.168.0.1 walshdesign #PRE #DOM:domain
    192.168.0.1 "domain \0x1b" #PRE
    is this correct?

I havent changed the other files in here.

I also ticked off register this connections address in advanced tcp/ip settings

Yere getting me there, oh so near. where now tecky heads?:confused:

• Advertisement

glad to see we're getting there :). .... hmm, I was looking for some cheap RAM lately :D !!!!! lol

let me think for 5mins about the new problem

Advertisement