Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Nt Server / Windows Xp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

ok, so after the initial lagout, it works fine.... K

hmm, can you check to see if there is any other new events/errors in the event log? also, I'm not to sure about having its own IP as the Default Gateway.

Your hosts file looks fine the way it is, its just a matter of finding out how XP reacts to such a file... I'm not to experianced with XP, but I'm sure it works the same as 2000 underneath it all.

BTW, the mapped drives, are they on the server that is on the hosts file? or are the mapped drives on other XP machines without any hosts files configured?

Hehe, you can always keep your boss happy by coming into work a bit earlier and switching on his pc, loggin on, get past the initial lagout and then logoff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You said a few hours back
    wins manager just has "w********n" a.k.a the server

ya need to double click on that (left window) to see what machines are 'registered' with that wins server

the problem may still be with what wins thinks is there,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

gotcha.. if the master browser is forcing an election it is because the following... The nt box should technically be the master browser as it is the only system that is common with the xp boxes (and indeed the dc). when xp comes along however it knows that it is of a higher version than the nt box and attempts to become the master browser on the network. The systems start fighting with each other etc.. try net stop browser on all the winxp boxes to sort it out... unfortunatly its a config issue and u will need to troubleshoot to ensure that the comm's between the systems are fine... using ping as stated in previous message to names etc and check that the roundtrip time is not too slow.. should be 1ms... that explains some of the slow login's. why u are not using wins i do not know.. it may provide proper name resolution... by the way cheap hardware i hear goto a site PM some prices out of interest...

a master browser is used when a system is looking for another box on the network using its names conflicts occur between nt and 2000 which xp is the guts off as it wants to be master browser...

his xp boxes are workstations and cannot be master browsers

his server is the only domain controller as well. Therefore as the only domain controller it logically must be the Master Browser...even if it was a BDC.....

The domain controller has to be the master browser by definition , os version not an issue , a win2000 server will happily recognise an NT4 server which is a domain controller as the Master Browser

the conflict (elections) TAKE place on the Domain Controller ad feed down the network.

until they are resolved there the XP machines will get confused to say the least. As wins runs on the Domain Controller I have been egging him there to see if it has a dodgy database of PDC and BDC type machines because it is between these the elcetions take place.

The server manage shows nothing that may be a suspect but at this point I would stop the wins service altogether on his server and rename wins.mdb to something else.

I would reboot the server

Then I would check the event log to see if the Browser Elections have stopped.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by coupe 02
    premature, i was very premature

as said i replaced the hosts file it now reads

192.168.0.1 walshdesign #PRE #DOM:domain
    192.168.0.1 "domain \0x1b" #PRE
    is this correct?

Good morning.

Going by what you have listed above, I would expect 192.168.0.1 to be the IP for your server and walshdesign to be your server machine name? Have you also edited the network file to add the domain name and local IP group as shown earlier.

Last off, I'd try the WINS suggestion from Muck. Have seen a local election bun fight on a server with two ethernet cards before and it does screw up comms with the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭coupe 02

turned on my workstation this am and the thing is just hanging non stop, its the only one ive changed in the office.

should the network file read
    192.168.0.1 walshdesign
    192.168.0.1 domain.

I cant seem to see any thing in wins manager, ive clicked on the "walshdesign" in winsserver and nothing has appeared. I was only used to exchange 2000 server and i dont know whats what in nt4. Should all the pcs be static mapped.
    when i go to the local database in wins i have two mappings

logo versionid
    a single pc picture - walshdesign(01h) 192.168.0.1 If6 unique

logo
    series of pcs - walshdesign(03h) 192.168.0.1 3 multihomed

both due to expire on the 7/10/02

i can buy ex-vat ram as follows

p4
    128mb - €39.90
    256mb - €69.00
    512mb - €150

p3
    128mb - €30.00
    256mb - €49.00
    512mb - €150.00

anything cheaper than that id jump at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

No

Your network file should read

192.168.0 walshdesign

where 192.168.0 is your IP address group and "walshdesign" is your domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

wins

all blank bar
    enable lmhosts lookup
    netbios setting is ticked to default

you seem to have WINS running on your NT server, but don't seem to be letting your XP boxes know where it is..why not?

I have had this problem in the past. Logons would take for ever, and accessing network resources would take just as long. As one of the other posters mentioned, I had the primary DNS on my workstation pointing at the DNS of my ISP. I now have Workstation DNS pointing at my BDC(win2kServer) which is running DNS Server and all is fine. logons and browsing works fine.

Also AFAIK when you use lmhosts to inform your local machine of the domain controller the name between the quotes has tp be EXACTLY 20 chars long. ie: "walshdesign /1bh" so you need 5 spaces between walshdesign and /1bh. According to MS it won't work otherwise.

d.

• Advertisement

First off, rename your hosts file to lmhosts

192.168.0.1 walshdesign #PRE #DOM:domain
    192.168.0.1 "domain \0x1b" #PRE

The Domain-name in this entry is case sensitive. Make sure you enter it in upper case

192.168.0.1 walshdesign #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN
    192.168.0.1 "DOMAIN \0x1b" #PRE

Spacing of these entries is imperative. There must be a total of 20 characters within the quotations (the domain name plus the appropriate number of spaces to pad up to 15 characters plus the backslash plus the NetBIOS hex representation of the service type).

After you have saved and put the file into the right folder (C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc), then go into a command prompt and type:

nbtstat -R (CASE SENSITIVE)

after typing that in, you should get a responce saying:
    "Successful purge and preload of the NBT Remote Cache Name Table" NOw log out and try loggin in again

Also, on the XP machines, go into command prompt and type:

'Ipconfig/flushdns'

EDIT, for some reason, the forum will not let me put in 20 charactors including spaces into that example hosts file :(

I've attached my own working LMHOSTS file to this post. I had to put the .txt on the end to make it a valid file to upload, so if you want to copy it, make sure to take out the extention

See Here and contains some data on Wins as follows
    For WINS, read the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:Q269424 WINS Prepend1BTo1CQueries Feature Aids Load-Balancing
    Stack the WINS 1C list on WINS servers with static registrations for Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers to be used for logon authentication.
    The the NETBIOS node type, this is configurable through DHCP options on DHCP servers or the Windows registry that defines the order and type of name resolution clients that are used to discover domain controllers.

also see Here if it gets hairy

As I said all along I think that the problem is essentially on the server and involves wins and maybe dhcp . Once resolved, maybe with those 1C entries referred to above, the XP workstations will find the pDC and all will be well (fast)

Yes, do use lmhosts instead of hosts

Defenistrator said
    you seem to have WINS running on your NT server, but don't seem to be letting your XP boxes know where it is..why not?

Indeed. Did you ever inform the XP systems of the whereabouts of the wins server as in IP address through the DHCP server as they picked up an IP and THEN switch to static ip's ?

M

i had the server ip filled in as prefered dns, but the fella who setup the server came in after we got xp and took it out.

my pc is unworkable at the moment after doing so much, the dialog box after i nbtstat -R never popped up, it said it done the flush dns successfully

I dont know how to point all the pc's to the server advise!

the dialog box after i nbtstat -R never popped up

well then your lmhosts file is not in the right format. Delete the hosts file, download the lmhosts file i attached earlier and put in your own details remember to but 20 charactor spaces between the two commas, including letters and numbers

I have never went near the server as i would void our maintainance contract so as far as i know
    Windows Nt4.0 has never been upgraded with any domain controllers or anything, the swerver is the same way as it was when installed first day, should i chnage things here, im clean out of ideas, ive been trying sio many ways now i just need a step by step of how to get it working
    Can anyone help, i know thats a bit irish now but im trying to get 3 planning permission submissions in this week as well and i know im going to be applying for permission to construct domains and everything

nbtstat -R black dos box just flicks for a milli second

all this talk about LMhosts and WINS is getting confusing. IMHO you use one or the other, if you use WINS, there should be no need to LMHOSTS, in your case anyway, you are not on a routed network.

personally I would dump the lmhosts altogether, WINS will take care of all your naming services, IF you let the XP boxes know where to find the sucker!

you also mentioned the fact that your NT server is multihomed.is this your internet router? are you experiencing DNS/routing problems as was posted before the LMhosts/WINS confusion started?

post an "ipconfg /all" , a "route print" and a "nbtstat -n" for YOUR workstatipn and for the server.

any naming info you can get would also be interesting "nbtstat -n" for example

d.

on second thought, modify the ISP's IP's if you do post your routing table, don't want every skript kiddie out there trying to "root" your box, now do you ;-)

d.

here, try this one. I'm not 100% sure its corrent, just put it in the etc folder and do the nbtstat -R.... mess around with it until you do get the right message.

BTW, you run nbtstat -R in the command prompt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Well Coup
    How are you getting on ?

• Advertisement

right ando i think your lmhost file is being mdified when it is uploaded .The file i have is like below, ive used a star as a space just to show

192.168.0.1*WALSHDESIGN*#PRE*#DOM:DOMAIN
    192.168.0.1*"DOMAIN*********\0x1b"*#PRE

also tried
    192.168.0.1*walshdesign*#PRE*#DOM:DOMAIN

nbtstat -n is just giving me a dos box for a millisecond

deckie worse now than ever. wont have access to a pc much longer id say, im going back to pimping. Give me cad anyday of the week, why cant you use cad without a pc.
    Bill gates once again sticks his fingers up at me and says hahahahaha m*&^%^er Fuc£$"er

192.168.0.1*WALSHDESIGN*#PRE*#DOM:DOMAIN

why have smilies popped up,
    after the hash sign i have DOM:DOMAIN

hmmm.... methinks he's in the managers office, explaining why he let a couple of unknown geeks talking him into killing the network!

Look.

....you posted This yesterday, the browser elections in the log are reason enuff ta call yer man in to fix the server.

M

nbtstat -n is just giving me a dos box for a millisecond

you aren't running this command from start > run are you?

open a dos box, and run it from there.

hahahaha, he didnt even give me a chance to explain why the network dead. just fired my ass. hahaha.

now have it workin ando, should i do the same to the lmhost files in xp and log them off as well

or is the ipconfig/flushdns all i do

From the MS KB
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318266

Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not found.

Event ID 5723 may also be recorded on a domain controller in the domain when the client attempts to log on:

The session setup from the computer Computername failed to authenticate. The name of the account referenced in the security database is Computername. The following error occurred: Access is denied.
    You may also see the following entry in Event Viewer on the client:

The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 domain controller \\Server for the domain Domainname failed because \\Server does not support signing or sealing the Netlogon session. Either upgrade the domain controller or set the RequireSignOrSeal registry entry on this machine to 0.
    CAUSEThis behavior occurs because the Windows XP-based client tries to sign or seal the secure channel. Windows XP Professional does this by default. However, Windows NT 4.0 is not configured to do this by default.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue:
    1) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    If you are using Classic view in Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security Policy.

If you are using Category view in Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security Policy.
    Under the Local Policies\Security Options node, double-click the Domain Member:Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always) policy to open it.
    Click Disabled, and then click OK.

D.

now have it workin ando, should i do the same to the lmhost files in xp and log them off as well

or is the ipconfig/flushdns all i do

well i taught you were only messing around with the lmhosts of the xp anyway, no need to go near the server as the problem is that xp doesnt know where to go to authenticate itself to the domain.

Doesnt matter, if you got it working, copy the lmhosts to the xp machine and do a nbtstat -R within a command prompt. If you get the 'successfull perge.. thingy, you should be ok me thinks. Since your not using DNS, there is no need anymore to do the ipconfig/flushdns (all it does is deletes the dns history/cache, makes it start from scratch)

ehm, dont do anything to the other xp machines until you got your machine working ok

I'm hungry, going to lunch :)

im gona be embarrassed if this reaches a 4th page.
    Is there any way i can just get the 8 pcs here to log on to "DOMAIN" from each pc and have no time delays no hanging etc. At this stage now with dhcp, dns, ip , isp, etc, nbtstat-R, jimmy, billy, whatever im just lost, I tought i could fix this problem with a left click and a right click, now im practially rewriting windows (haha)

I just want to log 8 xp machines on a nt4 server for file storage,proxy server, and mail delivery. I dont care what way its done once at this stage now i dont have a ten minute log-in, a pc that hangs and network resources slow. I appreciate the time yeve all taken so far. Ill email ye all pints.

anyone going to try and tackle the above. No hurry just want what ive outlined. tanx.

• Advertisement

coupe perhaps u had read my previous msg's net stop browser sevice on all the xp boxes and use the ping commands previously stated u would know where the connectivity issue lay.. using hosts is fine as tcp checks it first instead of trying to resolute the name... help urself and backtrack...

Advertisement