Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will I fail my NCT?

Options
  • 01-10-2002 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I heard lots of rumours about how they fail cars for superficial damage.

I have a cracked light at the rear, its more on the side of the car then the rear and the light element is not exposed. The plastic cover on the light wraps around the side of the car so behind it is a car panel not a bulb. Its not like there is white light escaping.

Will this fail the NCT? Id have to order the replacement which will cost about 100 quid and take 4 weeks!!

Cheers,
    B

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Unfortunately if the NCT testers spot the cracked light then its a fail.
    Best thing to do is put the car through the test and see if it fails.If it does buy the light and if it doesnt then youre ok for two years.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You could be lucky on the day, B.
    A crack exposing the bulb is a definite fail, but a crack at the side *might* be ok. How big is the crack? Is there a hole, or is it just a crack?

The thing about cracks is that over time they'll get bigger (and the NCT boys may fail you because of this). Its your call. Good luck!

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FizzyPants

....****e...

Is more missing glass/plastic than a crack. about 2-3inches sqr.

I'll try to get a replacement before the test. It need to be replaced, I was just being stingey.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Try a scrap yard for the light fitting, they tend to have/be able to get most common parts, at a fraction of the cost of a new replacement from a dealer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

Last year, apparently, it wouldn't fail if you can't feel the crack when running your hand over it. This year it does. So my advice is to buy the new light - I had to get a new foglamp and a headlight..and she passed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The NCT in general tends to be a load of ****e. I took my father's car last week, and it failed because of a 'worn' ball joint. Five different mechanics looked at the joint and said it was fine. The car went for a re-test without it being changed and passed. Purely a scam to make more work for themselves and get more money out of us.

I'd say they will fail you, but only cos they're pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by FizzyPants
    I heard lots of rumours about how they fail cars for superficial damage.

I have a cracked light at the rear, its more on the side of the car then the rear and the light element is not exposed. B
    To be honest, notwithstanding the nct, it should be replaced.
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FizzyPants

I guess I'll never find out, I replaced the light unit.. it cost a lot :/
    though strangely the price seemed to be the same in UK and Germany as here. Which is good in these rip-off Ireland times.

I managed to save ~€30 by not buying from the dealer and going to a 3rd party manufacturer ;)

Advertisement