Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen washer's buggered :(

Options
  • 01-10-2002 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Lo,

I seen someone else with a problem with flies on their windscreen, so I taught I'd highlight all of your days with my problem.. front windscreen washers gone and fell on its face.

Every time I flick for the windscreen washer, the wipers flap 3 times, but nothing comes out, except for the back.... always the back windows gets the fluid.... ? The pump is working fine as the washer fluid comes out the back, but nothing.. absolutly nothing comes out the front.. I've been poking away with paper clips to try unclog the front nozzles, but i dont think all four are blocked... It all just stopped working suddenly 2 weeks ago without warning... from working 100%, to nothing

It gets a bit iffy when I'm driving after its been raining.... all the spray and no rain to clear it !

any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hmmm do you ever put any agents into your wash bottle? I did one time and I will never do it again it just clogged my washers completely. They freed up themselfs after I held the washer for ages. It started to work again and then I filled and used up the wash bottle about 3 times to make sure I had cleaned out the pipes. Now this took a bit of time considering my wash bottle takes nearly 4.5 litres.

Best of luck

Kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Check under the hood check the tubes that there fully in,When your at the petrolstation use the air gun to blast out any grit that has built up in the washers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

I had the same problem, did what Corkey suggested and it cleared the lines. They are probably blocked up with cleaning agent. I have found the 'Holts' screenwash to be the best with no clogging. That white powder stuff is brutal for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

Its normally dirt in the nozzle of the washer. As suggested an air-gun (a pin sometimes work, bu be careful).

Water and a small bit of washing liquid in the resevoir ... the same combination that professional window cleaners use ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blocked nozzels are a commen prob esp in summer
    when they get little use, I use a pin and some water
    and if that doesnt work I just unhook the lines and as suggested blow through with something powerful.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, next time i'm at the garage I'll try that. The problem really only started after a service in which the next 2 weeks I had really great washer liquid, smelled really nice and cleaned really fast, but was really thick when squirted onto the windscreen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ando what type of car is it????????
    If its a Ford the pipe for the front washer hose usually comes loose under the right front wing-take the wing liner off to fix it.
    If its a Fiat there is a 3 way valve which usually gets clogged-only solution is to replace it about €2.00.
    The only other problem is like someone else says-some cars have 2 pumps or else 1 pump with 2 nozzles coming out from it-1 for the front and 1 for the rear.If you cant sort out the front and your car has this setup(2 nozzles-1 pump)Just switch the pipes around -That way you still have front washers but no rear.
    Hope this helps
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Also check how much the washer solution is diluted - if it's too thick it could well be clogging up the pipes and nozzles. You should try adding some more water to the screen wash tank without adding any more additive. I reckon liquid additives are a better bet than powder as well, since they're not likely to cause lumps that could block pipes and nozzles.
    Check that the fuse for the motor hasn't blown - if the solution was too thick, the motor could have overloaded trying to pump it and blown the fuse. After that, you'll need to check the motor itself to make sure it's still working.

Advertisement