Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Exchanges

Options
  • 01-10-2002 5:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know is there a site I can find a list of all the €ircon exhanges in Dublin. I was just told that the Tyrrelstown Exchange has not been enabled for DSL but was then told by another person that there is no Tyrrelstown exchange.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

Good question really - a full list of all the exchanges everywhere might be useful for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I think most (all?) of the ones in Dublin are on this pdf - page 16.

http://chicks-dig-unix.net/eircom/network.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 omni

List of Dublin exchanges attached.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

How up to date is this list? I have been told there is an exchange in Tyrrelstown but it's not on the list. Thanks by the way!

List was current at the end of 2001. Perhaps your exchange is called something else - try calling the operator and asking what exchange you're on.

Otherwise there really was a new exchange put in for Tyrrelstown, and it's unlikely to be DSL enabled just yet.

• Advertisement

If there is a new exchange at Tyrrelstown, surely they would have built it, DSL enabled? Does that not make more economic sense to do it then then have to come back to it some other time and pay engineers to more work on the exchange? Seems a rediculous system if that's the case.

There's quite a bit to "DSL-enabling" an exchange: DSLAMs have to be installed, ATM and transmission has to be built out to it, and it all costs quite a bit of cash. Given the apparent business focus of the current i-stream products I'd imagine eircom thought they'd get a better return on their investment by doing city centre/business district exchanges before doing new estates at the edge of the city, where the demand isn't quite so certain.

That said, costs in the industry are coming down and with cheaper IP-only DSLAMs (which don't need an expensive ATM element) now coming available from vendors, it's entirely possible that hitherto marginal areas will become more economically viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

A simple YES or NO for each exchange, updated weekly.
    Customers should also be informed of what exchange they are connected to on their bill. A small note in the corner somewhere.

You see that would be good customer service and seeing as this is €ircon we are talking about I can't see it happening. Maybe if there was a way to charge us for the information then they might consider it.

When I was told the Tyrrelstown Exchange was not enabled I decided to ring a different department to find out where the exchange was so I could ring up and find out what the story was off someone who might know a bit about ADSL. Well, yer one told me there was no exchange in Tyrrelstown. If they can't even tell you that we'll have some chance of getting the information on our bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

There are only 36 enabled exchanges in Dublin at the moment
    and if there is even a Tyrellstown Exch it is not enabled and I think due to the Lack of business in that area it will be a while

• Advertisement

...but in terms of Forward planning would it not have made more sense to enable the Tyrrelstown Exchange(and any other New Exchanges) for DSL instead of having to go back at a later date?

Although I suppose €ircon probably reckon that the equipment used to enable the exchanges will be cheaper by the time they need to enable the exchange?

Either way, they still suck.

Advertisement