Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Contagion] Rules

Options
  • 01-10-2002 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

1. To join the game create a character on the players page.

2. You cannot join the game until you are approved by the thread master and written in the current thread by the thread master.

3. Because of the nature of the game you may or may not meet others in the game straight away. Because of this while you can read what is going on, you cannot use what is happening in another situation to effect your outcome. If I notice this you will receive a serious penalty. :)

4. *Doing* Actions should be enclosed with *

5. "Talking" Talking should be enclosed in quotes and should be directed to a person/thing/whatever (unless you don't want to).;

6. [Ability] + [Trait]. Each character has a set amount of abilities and traits. You can attempt to use these by starting the sentance.

For example.

[hacking] I sit down and access the computer looking for information.

7. If an action is in any way uncertain in it's outcome then you CANNOT describe it's outcome, just the attempt.

8. NPC's conversation will be denoted by thier name like so -> #Hobbes#.

9. Scene descriptions will be denoted with <angle> with the name between the brackets relating to what that person sees. Example: <Hobbes> notices someone ducking in the door.

10. You can gain/lose skills and traits in the game based on how well you do (treat it as experience). People playing out of character or outside of the characters knowledge will be penalised.

11. Some posts by the thread master will be out-takes, and will start with [OUT TAKE]. It describes an incident that is going on, or something that is important to the plot. You cannot interact with these and are for helping to understand the story.

12. Out of character text should be avoided where ever possible, however if you have to do it put it between [OOC] and [/OOC]

example.
    *Hobbes reaches for the door handle*
    [OOC]I'm assuming I can actually reach the handle from where I am?[/OOC]

13. Muppets will be stomped on.

Note: This game is attempt to be more like an active story then a roleplaying game. Because of this while you can pick your some of your stats, you will be playing a character in the overall story. Some events regardless of your skill or what you do will happen. Also I will hopefully be playing with interactions with the net to build into the story line.

Lastly. While I will try to make the overall plot fluid if a person is playing a particular character that is important to the plot and wants to leave they should tell me and I will either allow someone else to take over or I will take over the character long enough for them to be written out of the story.

... Now lets hope this goes well. :)

Oh any complaints or issues about the rules should go into this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

All we're missing is a description of the sort of world its all set in.. Having read through the three threads, I would guess some sort of futuristic / near-future world w/ time travel??

A quick summary would help me in the making of a character. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nope it's set in modern day, however some back part plots are set in different times.

As for making a character your making a character who will then be slotted into a character within the story line.

For example, you could create a l33t hacker type character but you couldn't give that character a history or say they work as a news reporter. :)

Also picking a skills set for your character doesn't guarantee they will be that kind of character. Again for example your l33t hacker could in fact be a checkout person in a supermarket.

Advertisement