Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are Free Text? (making random unsolicited mobiles calls)

Options
  • 01-10-2002 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

i just got an automated call from 01 4888777 on my vodafone mobile

started telling me i'd been randomly selected and to press 1 in order to hear about scratch cards. i didn't want to hear and wasn't much impressed at being disturbed in the first place

i called the number back and it says, Welcome to Free Text this service lets you know my monthly sms when new and improved services become available on your mobile phone...

does anyone know who Free Text are, or who is behind it?

Thanks,
    Brian G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

This is what you submitted
    STD / Access Code : 01
    Specific Number : 4888777
    Licensee : All
    Designation : All

STD / Access Code Start Range End Range Licensee Location Designation Status
    01 4888000 4888999 Budget Telecom Dublin Central Geographic Allocated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Phone spam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They were the ones who had personal numbers with massive long menus (to make money of course) . Nobody used them because you couldn't do anything with the menu.

0700 numbers ISTR

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Got a call from them the last day, pressed one and got a text message telling me I had one a €100 holiday. Just call this €2.50 a minute number and we will give you the details.

How do they get peoples numbers ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    How do they get peoples numbers ??
    The automated voice spam may well be just trying every permutation of mobile number. After all, a dud call doesn't call them anything.

Otherwise the most common way of harvesting mobile numbers is via free Web2SMS sites. Nothing is truly free, after all...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The automated voice spam may well be just trying every permutation of mobile number. After all, a dud call doesn't call them anything.

Automated diallers are illegal in the United States, aren't they illegal here?
    "Greetings, friend. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So use it. And send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay! Eternal happiness is just a dollar away."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by dahamsta
    AFAIK, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

if we all get an autodialler and use it to pimp boards.ie and say the IOFFL issues, I bet they get illegalised pretty quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Contact your network and have the number barred from calling your number, or get them to take it further....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i'll give it a try - see what Vodafone customer care make of it

Thanks, Brian G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

any update from Vodaphone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

nada I'm afraid - customer services person said they have a service to block numbers while roaming but nothing while at home

aside: the Vodafone theme tune really doesn't work as on-hold music, it doesn't transmit well on a GSM call it just sounds like a whole lot of noise - my poor ear! Greensleeves all is forgiven :)

Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Actually ive noticed that you have to be getting the full EFR before that vodafone on hold music works, if it steps back at all it goes funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

DubWireless, I'd Call back if I were you because every phone network has the facility to block numbers from calling you - (Don't know about SMS)

You probably just got through to a lazy rep. Its actually within your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Supposedly not. Remember those automated calls before the last election?
    Originally posted by DubWireless
    aside: the Vodafone theme tune really doesn't work as on-hold music, it doesn't transmit well on a GSM call it just sounds like a whole lot of noise - my poor ear! Greensleeves all is forgiven :)
    Sounds terrible. Puts you right off calling (though perhaps that's the idea)

Advertisement