Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Off Topic Split] Broadband in dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The irishbroadband service is 2 way.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

You cannot expect Eircon to roll out adsl for the same price as it is available in England where the market is 15 times bigger.

Must finish off the Ireland Versus Norway document some time soon ... it dispels alot of these miths ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Sorry, IrishBroadband's price was ex-vat: so it would be €48.40 per month for their 512/512 8:1 option.

From what they've been saying in the IOFFL thread about them (see link above) they claim excellent pings. I've yet to hear from someone who's subscribed to them to tell us about the service, but looks good so far. If it were available in my area i'd certainly sign up.

--> My price comparison from that thread
    Originally posted by LoBo
    Just to compare prices with Eircom's incredible ADSL offer:

IrishBroadband 512k Residential
    512/512 down/up
    8:1 contention, no cap
    €320.65 installation (equipment is rented, included in monthly price)
    €48.40 per month thereafter

Eircom I-Stream solo
    512/128 down/up
    3GB transfer cap, (unsure of contention ratio)
    €199.65 installation (+ €175 or €242 for modem)
    €107.69 per month thereafter

So, from my POV its €374 + €107/month for Eircom's offer and €320 + €48/month for IrishBroadband's....

(also available from IrishBroadband: 1Mb connection for €84.70/month....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

i cant remember starting this thread :confused: .. maybe i was out of my head drunk or something :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by MDR
    Must finish off the Ireland Versus Norway document some time soon ... it dispels alot of these miths ...

Also don't forget all the other small countries like Iceland/Denmark/Finland/Luxembourg where broadband is readily available at reasonable prices !!

p.s. ( i wont mention the third world ones:D !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You didnt start it ando, yours was just the first off topic post that this thread was split from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

LFCfan
    But at least in the UK there is a choice. Some may be charging £50 - £60 a month but there are other charging £25 - £30 a month.
    Your missing both mine and Duztaz point. Everyone in the UK was charging that when DSL was launched. The point is its only 3 years latter that prices have fallen to sane levels in the UK. I'm sure it was the same elsewhere in Europe. Eircom are no different. They should have learned BT lessons that its only when a certain sane pricepoint is reached that there is mass takeup. Unfortunately it seems they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

what has an IQ of 65?

... the whole of the eircom management

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I bet they didnt have a ridiculously low cap though....
    I'd actually pay Eircom their stupid IR£80(ish) a month if that was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by seamus

DHCP. You get assigned a number when you connect, and then lose it when you disconnect. You essentially 'rent' the IP (here's another opportunity for eircom to sponge, Line Rental + ADSL + IP rental, "hmmm....what other charges can we make up"...sorry OT :D).

Ahh, right, so they mean you just don't get a static ip every time you connect unless you pick the pricier business options.

Doubt anyone coming from expensive dynamic ip dialupland here is going to be much disappointed..

Though I guess it would make it more difficult if you had a domain name trying to point at your machine... *scratches head*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by zynaps
    Though I guess it would make it more difficult if you had a domain name trying to point at your machine... *scratches head*

Should be able to sort something out with a service like DNS2go (now charging but there are free alternatives). There may be a neater way of doing it but offhand I can't think of one.

It's probably part of the reason they do this (mo'money to charge and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh it is. They dont like you hosting public servers as part of the service.
    www.mine.nu should see you right tho.

Advertisement