Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

53.2kbps

Options
  • 01-10-2002 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone hazard a a guess at why my lucent winmodem can connect at 53.2kbps but only downloads at 2kbs? Should be over twice that amount I would of thought. I'm using winXP professional and thought it would get more functionality out of the old modem, which didn't perform well under win98SE and win2000 adv server. Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 omni

What ISP are you using? Where are you trying to download from?

It could be congestion on your ISP's network or elsewhere on the Internet. Try doing a traceroute/tracert to the site you're trying to download from and see if the round-trip times jump significantly at any point along the path. Also look for dropped packets ("*"). You might also try ftping a file down from a local source (eg your ISP's "home page" server) and see how that goes.

If the rtts are stable at around 100 - 120 ms (it's been a while since I used a modem, maybe someone can correct me on these numbers) throughout the path then it might be worth upgrading your modem driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

dowload from your ISP's ftp site and see what download speed you get.

check processor occupancy. If it is 100% you've got a problem with your modem driver.

Advertisement