Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 in Widescreen

Options
  • 02-10-2002 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Just got myself a ps2 and all the paraphenelia that goes with it, however what's the best way to play it on a wide tv ?
    I have the screen setting at 16:9 but only the bootup menu appears in this format. All the games require me still to adjust the screen to some zoom format, i thought being in 16:9 mode would enable me to play games without having to zoom the screen ?

The other thing is i got a G-Con light gun but the stupid thing does not fire to the left most side of the screen whereas i can do so to the right edge of the screen.Tried adjusting the screen but to no avail.

Anyone ? Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Widescreen is a bit of a non-event when it comes to games. A few titles, such as GTAIII & Wipeout Fusion have widescreen options, but all these just trim the bottom & top of the screen so its the same as zooming really. To put more picture on screen, like they do in widescreen films, the game would have to draw more at any one time. This would meen comprimising on detail/frame rate, which game developers don't want to do (although I'm sure there are some more technical reasons than this). The best thing about widescreen tellies is watching DVDs of course. These are defaulted to widescreen on the PS2.

I have noticed that on FFX the PAL version has such big borders that you can zoom into it without missing any picture :)

You may have problems with using a light gun & a widescreen TV. That was certainly the case with the PS1 light gun - I haven't tried it with the GCon 2.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

4:3 = 1024x768, 800x 600 etc.

16:9 = 1200 x 675, 1600 x 900 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

Yup, more pixels on screen, more work for those poor programmers.

Advertisement