Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a Surround Sound speaker set

Options
  • 02-10-2002 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

A friend came back from the states with an ampllifier seperate for his home enterrainment system. he doesn't have much of a clue of consumer electronics and i'm not much better when it comes to amps and speakers.

the amp is a pretty good one (i think) has dolby 5.1 and can output 85w x 5 channels (speakers?)

he's looking for a decent surround sound speaker set that won't break the bank. Anyone offer any advice on what to buy and\or where to look?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I'm not an expert either but I have one at home.
    5.1 means 5 speakers (centre, 2 front, 2 rear) and a sub-woofer. To get the best out of the system he should get an optical connection between his DVD and Amp. He should also connect the TV and Video to the Amp via Scart sockets. Peats on Parnell St. is a starting point for what he needs. He can buy the sub-woofer seperate if he wants. Check out the buy and sell for 2nd hand stuff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Richersounds do good home cinema speaker packages. The Mission m72 package is excellent value at €400 but you will need to buy a separate subwoofer.

Also have a look at magazines such as What Hi-Fi and Home Cinema. They give excellent reviews and tips on home cinema set-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

bucks73 is right. The m72 package is as good as you can buy for that price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by bucks73
    Richersounds do good home cinema speaker packages. The Mission m72 package is excellent value at €400 but you will need to buy a separate subwoofer.

Also have a look at magazines such as What Hi-Fi and Home Cinema. They give excellent reviews and tips on home cinema set-ups.

€600

.logic.

Advertisement