Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE wánkers again! O/F vs Cup Semi Final

• 02-10-2002 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

I would accept that most people here would rather watch Celtic v Rangers than the biggest Dublin derby in a Cup Semi Final, but given that BBC are already covering the Old Firm game, doesn't RTE doing likewise smack of a disgraceful waste of public money?

Whenever Sky don't show a major event, the desperate pathetic vultures of this world, like RTE, jump at the chance to screen it, just because "its going". How many people in Ireland have RTE but not BBC? Any? Enough to warrant this expenditure (which BTW the exact amount of which we will probably never know, given RTE's history of accountability for a public service agency)?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

more would watch the scottish semi final i imagine which gets them more money.

money at the end of the day is what its all about of course.

i dont see why they cant show both tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

i dont see why they cant show both tho?

Because the FAI in their usual wisdom have the Cup semi on at the same time against the wishes of both clubs.

This makes me even happier that RTE lost the international rights and I hope they never get them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Er... theres a helluva lot of people in Ireland who don't have BBC and who'd love to see the Old Firm Derby ahead of the Dublin derby, which people from other counties couldn't give a flying feck about anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by PiE
    Er... theres a helluva lot of people in Ireland who don't have BBC and who'd love to see the Old Firm Derby ahead of the Dublin derby, which people from other counties couldn't give a flying feck about anyway.

correct. i know which i'd rather see. i don't give really a flying toss about the Irish football scene. many take the same opinion but Celtic vs Rangers will get viewers which will get RTÉ more advertising cash which will then go into more Irish made programming, fingers crossed. but that's for another board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

many take the same opinion but Celtic vs Rangers will get viewers which will get RTÉ more advertising cash which will then go into more Irish made programming, fingers crossed. but that's for another board

And cheap Flat rate on same day ....LOl

Have you seen Ask Anna????

It is a disgrace both clubs and fans wanted it moved but the FAI and Gardai had good reason not to allow it being moved , kinda borh sets of fans own fault really.
    Tho im sure they will blame each other.

kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by kdja
    Have you seen Ask Anna????

no but i heard it's best avoided so that's what i do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>theres a helluva lot of people in Ireland who don't have BBC

I don't have stats but I'd bet there are very few people in Ireland who don't have BBC. And there will not be much advertising revenue because its on on BBC as well, exclusivity brings advertising revenue, not screening an inferior version of what BBC is screening. My original point is if that people want to watch a British derby game, why can't they watch it on British TV (as most will anyway)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I was a LoI fan when I lived at home, and went to see Rovers as often as I could. The reason RTE dont show games a lot cos when they do the ratings for them are awful. Im sorry but that is what TV is about. The more people watch the more the add's at half time cost. if no one is looking at the game then its costing RTE a fortune to show these games for no reason. The reason they do show them is cos RTE link showing them to various TV deals.

In terms of people going to the games and watching on TV fact is that not many people like Boh's or Shel's or whoever your team is - they like Celtic or Man Yew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mike66

RTE worst sports station ever?

-Bad world cup coverage with negative Machester United Eamon , I actually switched over to BBC a few times as the atmosphere on Irish games was better.
    -Shiite Euro Ryder Cup coverage, CNN, Skynews Euronews and Eurosport gave the Irish golf lads great credit
    -Ray Buirke tried to sell them to O'Riely and Matty Murder-Dock
    -Should cover more World Rally, Aussie Rules, Irish Soccer, Irish Rugby but don't

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes i like Celtic but Scottish footie is terrible soooooooooooooo boring.
    Just thinking about it is putting me to sleep! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Normally I don't agree with Bateman but on this I do. RTE are suppost to be the Irish National Broadcaster and they should make an effort to cover Irish Sports ahead of ones from other countries.

Maybe one of the reasons E*****m League games get low ratings is because they are hardly ever on, they don't get a chance to build up an audience. I for one would watch the most woeful football matches just cause they're on tele. I remember watching all sorts of matches when Eurosport was actually on NTL. Even the womens World cup (althou that might of been because of the faint hope of a shirt swap at the end of the match /Kleenex_mode_off).

I still most go to a Irish League match before the end of the season (I said I would before the season started).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

You can rest assured, that the true fans of both clubs, Bohs ( come on the gipsies ) and Rovers, will be A O K with RTE not showing the game because they'll be at the game.

Make no mistake, I'd personally prefer to watch the old firm clash, but that's just my preference ( normally ) However, this weekend I believe I will be watching neither .. .instead I will be going to Portlaoise to hopefully see Dublin pick up their first under 21 football All-Ireland medal in over twenty years.

My point being that there are plenty of other sports that are probably on the same day at around the same time with a similar type of argument for having them shown ahead of the old firm match, but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the viewing public would prefer to watch the Old firm clash ahead of any of the aformentioned games so deal with it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Dont think the argument about most people having BBC stands up myslef!
    I mentioned something about that muppet Johnathan Woss to one of my frinds who lives outside Ennis county Clare!
    She asked me who the hell Woss was?:D
    To my amazment she axplained that they couldnt even get TV3, or was it TnG....... where she lived
    Anyway, my point is that she is close to a major town so I can only imagen what it is like in other areas of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Mike66
    RTE worst sports station ever?

-Bad world cup coverage with negative Machester United Eamon , I actually switched over to BBC a few times as the atmosphere on Irish games was better.
    -Should cover more World Rally, Aussie Rules, Irish Soccer, Irish Rugby but don't

Eamon's a fantastic football analyst. You might be right if, by saying the atmosphere on the BBC is better, you actually mean they only ever have good things to say, as if they're afraid of criticising anyone. But what's the use in that? Dunphy and Giles tell it like it is. And they're far more critical than other analysts. It's pretty educational to listen to them, cos they explain how football SHOULD be played... unlike ITV giving Seaman "the benefit of the doubt" after he was lobbed at the near post by Farrelly against Botlon two weeks ago. There is no doubt! It simply shouldn't happen! And you'd think he'd have learned after Ronaldinho did the same thing to him a couple of months back.

And as for what there "should" be more of on RTE... that's just your opinion. I personally think there should be a global ban on horse racing coverage, cos it's as boring as taking a dump, but that's just my opinion and i appreciate that there may be some poor eejits out there who find joy in watching it.

And WRC on RTE??? It's only already shown C4 and TV3. In fact, because it's good, it should be shown on EVERY channel at the same time. Everyone knows rallying is good, so there's no point in giving the viewers a choice to watch anything else!

>The reason RTE dont show games a lot cos when they do the ratings for them are awful

Picking up on something Vaggabond said, I don't think that argument stands up, as the last time Bohs played Rovers in a cup semi, it was on live, and received a higher audience than The Premiership the following night (Uni'eh already had the league sewn up).

Anyway, tune to the 9 news for the best of the, eh, action (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by gandalf
    I still most go to a Irish League match before the end of the season (I said I would before the season started).
    Wow that's very pro-active of you! And I'm sure clubs like Linfield and Crusaders will be very grateful to you for supporting the IRISH LEAGUE :rolleyes:

Anyway, regarding the topic I think the EL (and it's clubs) should learn to stand on it's own merits and not have to constantly rotate it's fixtures around whatever other sporting event happens to be on TV this week. It's pathetic.

Also when people go whining that some game on TV is clashing with their fixture they're only serving to give out the message that not only is their product is second rate but also that they are the first to admit it.

I don't agree with that reputation of soccer in this country, but I'm guessing that that is what it probably reads like to the casual footy fan.

Anyway, regarding the topic I think the EL (and it's clubs) should learn to stand on it's own merits and not have to constantly rotate it's fixtures around whatever other sporting event happens to be on TV this week. It's pathetic.

Also when people go whining that some game on TV is clashing with their fixture they're only serving to give out the message that not only is their product is second rate but also that they are the first to admit it.

Agree with most of that, but he original complaint was to do with TV coverage, you can't promote your product if the media is dead set against helping you out. There is only so much the clubs can do by themselves, and the senseof apathy has been in everything for years, and this situation has not been helped by the media.

Advertisement