Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a new motherboard

• 02-10-2002 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, ive been away from the hardware buying arena for a year or two, so im a little rusty with whats been going on.

im looking to buy a systemboard, processor and a bit of ram to upgrade my little pIII 700 to a nice 2ghz system. or thereabouts :)

so what id like is a little bit of advice from the nice people out there who would like to tell me what i should be looking at.

di rather go for the latest stuff, like a 400/533mhz fsb etc, with ddr, but im not pushed for amd or intel.

oh, and it has to be cheap :
    and im not interested in raid, or anything fancy.....

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

get a athlon XP 2ghz wif the fastest ddr ram u can get. However the more advanced intel boards support ram with is 50% faster than that of AMD's best, so its up to you. You'd hardly notice the difference at that speed if your doing things like gaming, coding, design. However intensive 3d modeling packages such as lightwave might appretiate the extra bandwidth. However the down side is that, that ram is way more expensive than DDR ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

overclocking is now easier with recent P4 than Athlon, the 533mhz bus allows clocking of 2.53 chip (the slowest of those lads istr) to well over 3Ghz and the mobo manufacturers allow that.

extremeoverclocking.com

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The fastest athlon chip that is widely available is the 2200+, the 2400+ and particularly 2600+ seem to be vapourware right now, overclockers.com list 1 place selling the 2600+.

So I'd say a medium speed p4 is the best bet. Don't go for the top end p4's, as they are not good value. Around 2.26 - 2.53 are pretty good value at the moment, you could always clock up later if you thought it was slow, ( which you won't of course). Just make sure you go for a 533 bus chip. Rambus ram (pc1066)seems to be almost as cheap as ddr now, and is faster. If you are going for ddr get a board which uses the Intel 845G chipset, as this supports 333mhz ddr ram ( also known as pc2700 ).

Advertisement