Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP vs MP

• 02-10-2002 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Just a general question with regards to the above.

Im going to be buying dual athlon systems in the near future and im not sure which would be more suited, dual athlon MP 2200+ or dual athlon XP 2600+ or 2700.

Any1 got any tips?

These would be win2k servers with 2.5gigs of whichever memory.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought you couldn't have dual XP's, just dual MP's? Maybe i'm wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

why not go dual intel?

Or is this a super work box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Take extra care picking out the components. AMD dual processor systems are fantastic, but you need to be careful what you put together, or you could have serious problems.

If you're buying this with a server in mind, not as a technology enthusiast who just wants to see "how it works", stability is number one priority.

AMD 760 MPX server chipset only supports Athlon MP processors and registered (buffered) ECC memory. There are motherboards out there that deviate from the spec, and allow use of XP processors or non-ECC memory, but I'd be worried about the implementation and what toll it takes on reliability.

There's a new Epox motherboard, M762A, that's been reviewed recently and is absolutely outstanding. It only works with Athlon MPs, and only takes ECC registered (buffered) DIMM's. It also requires a minimum of 400W ATX power supply, with a 20-pin ATX connector. Look at quality power supplies, like Enermax and Enlight, not the cheap stuff that only has 400W on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by SyxPak
    why not go dual intel?
    Dual Intel P4/Xeon is much more expensive.

Originally posted by netman
    AMD 760 MPX server chipset only supports Athlon MP processors and registered (buffered) ECC memory.
    Dunno about the other boards, but the Tyan Tiger 760MPX board officially supports up to two unbuffered DIMMs - I went for registered anyway for my pair in case I want to put more in later. There's no good reason why non-ECC should be less reliable in normal use than non-ECC in any other board - given that you should expect about four single bit errors a year per gigabyte from cosmic rays other radiation. For 2GB+ you'll definitely want ECC registered.
    It also requires a minimum of 400W ATX power supply, with a 20-pin ATX connector. Look at quality power supplies, like Enermax and Enlight, not the cheap stuff that only has 400W on the label.
    I run mine on an Enermax 450W supply - lots of 10kRPM SCSI disks too. The Tyan board needs both a regular 20-way ATX supply plus an extra bit of juice from either a standard hard disk connector, or from the 4-way ATX 2.03 connector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

XP's can be modded to works as MP's tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

this was the setup from the manufacturer:

Qty (1) 300watt power supply for the Tyan s2462gn
    Qty (1) CCSI Wind Tunnel for the Tyan s2462gn
    Qty (2) Custom low profile heat sinks for the RC-0103
    Qty (1) Tyan S2462gn dual Athlon mother board with on board LAN, SCSI, and Video
    Qty (2) AMD Athlon 2200+ MP “1.8Ghz
    Qty (4) 512Meg ECC DDR Registered PC2100
    Qty (2) 40Gig IBM 7200rpm IDE Hard Drives
    Qty (1) Mitsumi Slim-CD
    Qty (1) The above Configured & Tested
    Qty (2) Hot-Swap IDE kit for the RC-0103, includes IDE drive shuttle and backplane

=====

Well we'll be changing that around a bit. Any imput's appretiated. Is that psu to low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    XP's can be modded to works as MP's tho

Ya they can
    guide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

want long lasting & ub3r stable servers & the HIGHEST preformace obtainable with dual athlon *P processors... surely modding in the long term would affect that?

Originally posted by STaN
    Qty (1) 300watt power supply for the Tyan s2462gn

Well we'll be changing that around a bit. Any imput's appretiated. Is that psu to low?
    Short answer, yes it is IMHO. Think 400W+ and make sure it's a quality one, not some random no-name off-the-shelf.

BTW, why get the board with the onboard SCSI yet go for IDE drives? And why go for the older 760MP chipset rather than the shiny new (well, not so older) 760MPX? Consider the S2466N-4M, unless you need the onboard video for running Windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement