Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF1942 quitting all the time?

Options
  • 02-10-2002 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Anyone come across this, or how to fix it? Doesn't happen on my own PC, but on my brothers and one of the lads too. BF1942 all loads up fine etc, and then when they go to load a level it just quits to windows.
    DX8.1 is installed, one of em using Win2K/GF2MX the other using 98/GF2GTS.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I haven't seen this happen but there is a retail 1.1 update, if that isn't the version on the cd. Obviously the video drivers are the next thing, get the latest nvidia drivers and install them. See that happens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Actually, I find that the recent Nvidia 40.41 drivers (on windows 2000) cause BF 1942 to continually crash back to the desktop. I downgraded to older drivers (32.something) and it seems to be working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think I've narrowed down the problem a bit in my case - it seems BF1942 does not like those refresh rate forcer apps that I was using to push up the D3D/OpenGL refresh rate in win2k. Installing the older drivers just undid the changes the app made.

Bleh. Downloading 40.71's now- bloody hell 14mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I got the new dets. 40.71. Im getting this weird startup message 'Unable to access location in memory' . The single player demo works fine..but the multiplayer wont even load. It just pops straight back to windows after loading the .exe

Plus with the new dets, all my refresh rates are belong to 60hz :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by Kairo
    Plus with the new dets, all my refresh rates are belong to 60hz :(

Running 2k/XP? Get the "Windows 2000/XP NVidia Refresh Rate Fix" from Guru3d.com. It's in Videocard Utilities\Generic Tools. There's other progs that do the same thing, but this one worked well for me with the minimum of fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Is there any irish servers up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Yeah Id love to see an Irish server as well. I cant get a good connection on 64k ISDN to any of the UK servers but when I use 128k its fine.

/me prays eircom can install adsl :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

where are the detonators originally from? they made by nVidia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i had trouble with refresh rate forceing programs getting bf to start as well - turned it down to 800*600 and it works :/

anyway a little moreo ff topic
    anyone having trouble with the sound ?

when i spwan, i get this terrible interferience and hissing sound, can only bearly hear the sfx over it. when i turn off the music i still get a woeful hissing in the backround like waves or some crap only in lik 8bit

anyone come across this one ?

• Advertisement

did u try the refresh fix for win2k/XP?

That refresh rate fix is a load of bollox. Firstly , It doesnt actually work with the new dets, and secondly..it seems to have some problem with my monitor, refusing to even load in the first place.

I had a seperate refresh rate fix proggie, but its useless now.
    Switched back to the old dets. Refresh rate is grand, but BF multiplayer demo still wont run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I doubht you have the patch so. It fixes the refresh rate lock you have to change a setting in one of the text files.

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    I doubht you have the patch so. It fixes the refresh rate lock you have to change a setting in one of the text files.

Patch for what exactly? I have the BF1942 patch, and the latest Dets..and the refresh rate lock doesnt just effect BF..it effects ALL games. Pray tell, what is this text file you speak off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Originally posted by STaN
    did u try the refresh fix for win2k/XP?

... do the refresh fix for WIN 2k/XP, please?

Thank you... for the info, (I'm learning ... again ... yippee) :)

go to wwww.guru3d.com its in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

any1 having any connection problems???
    imk trying to connect with 64k but after about a minute or so
    i get a connection interupted message and my ping shoots to 1023!!!.i downloaded the 1.1 patch but still the same.
    in the ingame browser the ping times are usually consistant
    "100-200" to eauk servers,only after a few seconds playin
    its fcuked.
    any1 any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

According to Dice in a press release they will fix all the problems and ensure smoothrer play in the EXPANSION PACK not a patch but an EXPANSION PACK.

we have some bf forums on our website
    www.modtheater.com

check the forums on www.bf1942.com for help.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I tried the refresh fixes for Win2k from guru3d.com and I still can't get the refresh problem sorted. So I think I'll just wait until they patch it. At least it's not crashing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Originally posted by STaN
    go to wwww.guru3d.com its in there somewhere

thanks for the website, nice one.

• Advertisement

Anyone find a proper Refresh Rate fix for the new Dets?

Advertisement