Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITV News Channel

• 02-10-2002 8:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I notice when flicking thru channels that ITN News has been replaced by ITV News Channel, it seems an improvement over the ITN News but some things come to mind like:

Will it go into widescreen soon? I think so as when i was watching it there the channel keeps flicking in and out of widescreen modes simiilar to when ITV1 started testing.

Also will we continue to view it here in Ireland, knowing our luck we'll wake up some morning and see a blue screen 08 message for us. ITV will then tell us that they dont have a rights to show ITV news in Ireland or sommat like that.... well I hope im wrong and that doesnt happen.... but I wouldnt put it past Carlton/Granada....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It's FTA, so no change likely there.

The change happened on Monday, and ITV News on ITV1/ UTV is in widescreen, so it will probably change sometime soon. Sky News is to launch soon in widescreen, IIRC.

Interesting to note is the fact that they relay the ITV Lunchtime News live, and during that bulletin, they break off to the regions for local news, so on the ITV News Channel, we get the Carlton/LWT local news, London Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

Same happened after news at ten last night. I wasn't watching tonight, i think its great because back in the good old days when we had ITV in other channels i loved watching the london news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I think you are wrong - I'm pretty sure ITV news on ITV1 is not broadcast in widescreen, so I would not be too hopefully for the ITV news channel to be w/s in the near future.

Well I have seen some ITV News bulletins in 14:9 on analogue recently, although I haven't seen it in the last few weeks. They could be experimenting.

Or bad switching by UTV! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I was watching the ITV evening news yesterday on ITV1 London via Sky Digital, and it was 4:3.

Yep, they may be just testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I heard that the ITV News channel was to show extra Champions league games that were not being carried on ITV - any sign of this happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

an improvement over the ITN News Channel but i will stick with RTÉ, BBC and Sky Sports News

Originally posted by dougal
    I heard that the ITV News channel was to show extra Champions league games that were not being carried on ITV - any sign of this happening?

Yes, as discussed here.

The nuts and bolts are its not available on DSAT, and only on Digital Cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

The nuts and bolts are its not available on DSAT, and only on Digital Cable.

Gotta HATE those nuts and bolts.

Back on topic, anytime I watched the ITN news channel seemed particularly boring - I'll check out the new one tonight to see if there has been any improvement. Sky have it locked up with their interactive news.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by DMC
    Well I have seen some ITV News bulletins in 14:9 on analogue recently, although I haven't seen it in the last few weeks. They could be experimenting.

Or bad switching by UTV! :D

More than likely the latter...for which UTV are notorious.

Actually, I've seen bad widescreen switching on the News Channel too...going into 16:9 at various strange points. It looks quite awful then...

As for the ITV News Channel itself...an improvement on the ITN service, but still no Sky News or even News 24. NTL haven't yet changed the EPG banner, its still "ITNNewsChannel" on my TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well it's a bit of an improvement and I might actually watch it occasionally now. Still not as good as Sky News or BBC News 24 though.

Advertisement